Gremlins in my door

10PISTNZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of what happened.

Thursday evening my 2001 Viper RT10 was parked outside in the rain with the top on and the windows up. NP
Friday evening when I got home I quickly washed and dried the car. Took it for a short trip to dry off the brakes and get the water out of the cavities. So far alls good. Left the top on.
Saturday morning I went into the garage and the drivers door was not closed all the way. Odd thought I closed it. I pushed the door close. When I went to open it the button didn't work. Thought the battery drained overnight with the interior lights on. After all I did start and stop the car several times over the previous days as I moved it in and out of the garage. I put a battery charger on and left. When I came back a couple hours later the door was open again. ???????????
I closed it and again it wouldn't open. While I was standing there I heard a bunch of clicking noises that I thought may have been coming from the trunck are and the door popped open by itself. It was only open to the safety catch. I decided to try the passenger door and it opened normally. I reached over and used the emergency handle and opened the drivers door. The inside electric latch worked fine.
I took the roof off and decided to use the inside door handle till I got it fixed. After all I had a Cobra for 30 years.
An hour or so later I went to go for a drive and reached for the door handle out of habit and it worked. :omg:
Tried it again and nothing. Went for a drive and when I got back I tried it and now it works fine everytime.

Any ideas?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wire bundle between the door and body is probably chafted and it's causing a short. May need to pull back the covering and take a look.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a picture from my stereo install, but it shows the wire bundle (passenger side)...

You must be registered for see images

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you heard the "bunch of clicking noises" did you notice the interior lights going on/off with the clicks and/or position of the door?

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wire bundle between the door and body is probably chafted and it's causing a short. May need to pull back the covering and take a look.

The wiring from the door to body is very common for a Gen 2.

OP
OP

10PISTNZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you heard the "bunch of clicking noises" did you notice the interior lights going on/off with the clicks and/or position of the door?

Don't think the interior lights were going on and off. The door was closed all the way then it popped open.

Thanks guys, have to check the wiring for chaffing. Door is fiberglass so it wouldn't short but it may be touching another wire or the water may cause a voltage jump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave