GTS OEM door speaker covers?

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have a set of these laying around that they don't need? Also, for those who have added aftermarket speakers to the doors, did you run into a clearance problem with the pass door speaker cover hitting on the inside when closing the door?

Thanks,

Ron

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have a set of these laying around that they don't need? Also, for those who have added aftermarket speakers to the doors, did you run into a clearance problem with the pass door speaker cover hitting on the inside when closing the door?

Thanks,

Ron

No clearance issues here. I used a 6 1/2" comp. set from Alpine (SPX-17REF) They fit almost perfect (just a little trimming) and sound really good. :2tu:

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

and sorry not giving up any factory parts.;)

-Greg

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the Boston Pro60's Series 6-3/4" Component Speakers. They can fit 6-1/2" as well which is considered the same frame size as 6-3/4".

OP
OP

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No clearance issues here. I used a 6 1/2" comp. set from Alpine (SPX-17REF) They fit almost perfect (just a little trimming) and sound really good. :2tu:

[/IMG]

and sorry not giving up any factory parts.;)

-Greg

Can't blame you! My new Alpines fit great but the cover on the pass door sticks out too far.

Ron

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 2 sets. You're not thinking that you can use them on aftermarket speakers? They won't work.

The 6.5" speakers fit into the speaker socket, but the 6.5" covers don't fit into the 6 3/8" holes in the door panels. Some speaker covers can be trimmed to half thickness and then they mount outside of the hole. I ground the outside of the covers down while leaving the screw 'towers' to press against the speaker's body and hold it securely against the door panel.

If you search there are hundreds of threads on this subject. I ground down kicker covers for my GTS.

When I thought to use the stock speaker covers they would have clamped down on the actual speaker cone and ruined the speaker. Check for that. The outside of the covers are 6 3/8"

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You also want to have the 3 screws of the stock covers line up with the holes in the speaker frames. All decent aftermarket speakers use 4 screws to seal the speaker against the door panel.

PM me if you need more pics or instructions

OP
OP

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You also want to have the 3 screws of the stock covers line up with the holes in the speaker frames. All decent aftermarket speakers use 4 screws to seal the speaker against the door panel.

PM me if you need more pics or instructions

Thanks for the heads up. I'll just MAKE the new covers fit. Hell I have a torch, and a plasma cutter! Grinders, etc.:D

Ron