GTS-R or COBRA

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you will see a GTS-R for the street, it is strictly for racing, and that's it. Maybe Rich H. can jump in here to clarify further, but I don't think it will ever be street legal.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why have a Cobra made? I hear from some guys I know in the Cobra club, that there are quite a few available that are already built. Seems that the economy has forced a lot of owners to sell brand spankin newly built Cobras.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you want to build, build a gt-40. there are lots of kits out there. and i am sure that they are well within your price range.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't buy a kit go buy a real aluminum shelby like I did, Those are available from shelby american, there street legal and they are convertibles and unlike the gtsr you don't have to have a race team. I am a nasa member and longtime drag racer and when I sent my 20k and filled out the credential paper they sent me they said sorry I had to be a race team.My cobra is set up for the street and with the ta radials it runs 10.7 at almost 130 and if I were to put on race coilovers and wheels and tires and maybe a brake upgrade I think it would more than hold its own with the other car if not beat it.One thing is for sure shelby hold the money kit cars don't and they only made about 46 total aluminum ones since shelby started making them again a few years ago and about 15 of those are still available but when they are gone so are aluminum cars.Shelby is an old and mythilogical man and when he passes you will be glad you bought a real shelby and not someone elses kit.Don't get me wrong I have seen kits that are works of art just totally awesome , I had one but the first two questions everyone asks is, is it real and is it aluminum, and no one wants to say no.

OP
OP
B

bitya

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all of those that replied. You are right, it would not be the original thing and there is a few showing up with 514s that are reasonable. The newer originals are out of my price range so for now I will wait. I was wondering why these people build or buy these cars then shortly after are for sale. I own a 98 GTS bought new and was looking for something different to park `along side it. Hopefully they will build anew style GTS and purchase it. Thanks again for your opinions.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read through all the responces and agree with everyone of them. Having been a member of SAAC for many years before falling for the Viper, I can attest to the fact that Kit cars are waste of money. Never buy a kit because they are a money pit with no residual value once you are done with them. A good freind has had a kit Cobra for close to 20 years. This is not your average kit since it contains more NOS (original) parts than some original Cobras. Back in 1987 he had 80K invested in it. I doubt that he would get more than 40K and that would be from someone who is probably going to strip it of the valuable parts. He wanted one as close to the real thing as possible. It actually kind of funny because in 1984 he could have bought a nice original 427 for about 100K. Early 260 and 289 cars were even cheaper. I bet if you weren't looking for a perfect car you could probably still find one in the $125K to $150K range. Cheaper than a Comp Coupe but than again not a car that you would be willing to take to the track. Either wait for a VGX GTS (might be 4 or 5 years away, maybe never)or buy a Comp Coupe for the track and keep your GTS for the street.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A kit car is worthless.An extended production # car is also pretty much worthless.If you don't care about throwing money down the toilet then by all means get one.If you have a clue then save up or lower your expectations but by all means get something original not an overpriced kit car replica. Bruce

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree a kit car is worthless, there are alot of supernice ones out there that you can really get a good deal on used. I know of some really trick ones made by double venom with viper motors.As far as the continuation aluminum shelbys that carroll shelby sells being worthless, thats a joke do your homework and get in the real world. I wouldn't knock it until you have tried it.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously, GTS Bruce is just uninformed about the Cobra replica market - especially the continuation cars...
I agree with the amount of money you can spend on a kit. I am there right now and the money continues to flow. My car is incredible and way faster than my Viper. I plan to keep this one as I have so much personal time and effort into it but really want to add an aluminum bodied Shelby to the ranks. I can tell you-my cobra gets just as many, if not more, looks than my Viper. I just put a new motor/tranny in it and it should be ready for the track in about a month. Many lesser quality setups can be had though. Tons are available with 302 FI engines with mustang or Volkswagen frames for mid to low 20's. But to do it right, you will spend 60K or more for sure.
Good luck.
I love all my snakes!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456