Half Shaft Assembly

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Has anyone out there ever taken apart a Viper half shaft? I was trying to remove one of mine the other day as I've been attempting to diagnose a clicking sound in my suspension I've been getting on the one corner, but when I pulled on it I seem to have pulled the shaft itself out of the CV joint or something. Ordered the Dodge tool to remove the half shaft from the diff since I wasn't having much luck with a pry bar, but wasn't sure what might await me. The boot is still attached and not broken, but the shaft spins freely in it. Feels like there are just some splines I pulled out, but guessing there is some kind of snap ring or something in there that I either broke or pulled past. Just curious if anyone had messed with one or had pictures.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Stub shafts are a bear on early Gen IV's.

Do a simple search here for "stub shaft" and several threads will appear...with successes and failures.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It wasn't actually the stub shaft that was in the diff housing that was my problem, it was the haflshaft itself. The shaft pulled out of the CV joint, but I managed to get it back together over the weekend. There's just a clip in there and a groove on the CV joint. Had to put a zip tie around the clip to compress it enough to slide into the splines, but it went fine after that and I could cut the zip tie to pull it out. Had to find a new band for the CV joint boot since I couldn't reuse the old one, but it's basically back together. One of the parking brake bolt holes stripped out, so waiting on a helicoil kit to show up later this week to fix it and get it back on the ground.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets