Halfshaft repair

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
broke left halfshaft last night at track (***** too cause it was the finals after four hours of racing)

im going to replace it myself; ive never replaced/installed a halfshaft, how dificult is it.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Rich, you've found the Viper Driveline fuse! Hope you have upgraded after your mods to HD Shafts. Changing these is simple, just a knuckle buster. You need an 8mm or 5/16 box end, ratchet wrench or a strong 1/4 drive.(longer the handle the better, you need leverage) The bolts next to the center yoke are the hardest. Get it up in the air rotate the rear and you'll see the top bolts open up to provide more room. Pull the E brake and take them out, they have thread locker on them and come out hard all the way. Spin the shaft or whats left and do the same on the other two. The ones close to the wheel are easy. BE SURE TO GET NEW STRAPS AND BOLTS FOR THE INSTALL!!

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an extra pair of HD shafts if you need them in a hurry. You can just replace them.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BE SURE TO GET NEW STRAPS AND BOLTS FOR THE INSTALL!!

Can someone explain why we need to do this ? For 28 years I have been using the same straps on driveshafts and on my Viper I have used the same halfshaft and driveshaft straps with no problems.

Mojo....my advice is to upgrade to the best unitrax shaft. They cost almost twice what the unitrax 800hp shaft cost but it will be worth it in the long run. If you want a price shoot me an e-mail. Also, it is much easier to get the wheel end of the shaft through the shock wishbone if you take the u-joint caps off that end.....just be careful of dirt when you put the new one in.

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thnx guys.

BTW these were the unitrax bigboys. I guess after two yrs of beating on em just took it toll.

pauls call me 330-921-1480 i just may need that set. i already called jonb and told him to overnight me a set of the best but he may not be able to deliver as fast a si need them (i gotta race saturday :laugh: )

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony maybe it's propaganda from Dodge. They say they stretch and don't conform to the caps properly. You sure want the thread sealer on the bolts. I've put in used ones with some Locking compounds and they got loose on me. Plus you don't want any worn heads on those bolts rounding off the next time your in there. So I just use new ones when practical.

Tony's right on the caps on the wheel end. You have to put the new one up in on center section as far as you can get it. Then compress it a little and route thru the shock wishbone.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All shafts are just fuses. Even with the HDs you have to pull the boot and check the splines every 20 or so runs. I never had a shaft break, just the crosses and yoke at the ends. That was because the splines start to twist a if the car squats hard it jams the twisted splines and makes the travel shorter. That force has to go someplace and it's usually the cross.
I scribe a straight line on both ends (stub shaft and body) when they are new. You can see when one end starts to twist away form the other. Thats when you make lamp shades out of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62