has anyone ever hit the rev limiter on his Gen 1 Viper?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes all the time. It just shuts off the fuel so you don't over rev the motor. You will be fine.
I'd be pissed at myself when i would do this on the track.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hitting the rev limiter is not a great idea. the valve springs are a weak link and you can bend a push rod doing it at thosehigh rpms. i think it cuts off at like 6700

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 3 rev limiter is 6200.
PCM disables injectors to control rpm, and protect the motor.
I would think that the gen 1 motor is probably limited around 6000.

Someone who 'bounces off it' can chime in to confirm.
The earlier Vipers are more low end torque monsters than high rpm screamers, so I wonder if any gen 1 guys let it wind up like that to find out.

Watch the first Viper n-ring record video to see what the limiter does. Instead of upshifting, that dude kept the throttle pinned and let the motor bounce on the rev limiter ugly style.
Gen 4 limiter is 6250 I think.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive hit it a few times in my gen 2 :( Mainly through missed shifts on track days :(
Yeah, I missed 3rd and ended up in 1st once. saw the tach hit around 7000rpm :omg:
Didn't get the clutch all the way out (noticed it right away) If I hadn't of caught it, some bad things would've happened I'm sure.

A rev limiter has no way of controlling a forced mechanical over-rev from the driver screwing up on a shift. :nono:

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I missed 3rd and ended up in 1st once. saw the tach hit around 7000rpm :omg:
Didn't get the clutch all the way out (noticed it right away) If I hadn't of caught it, some bad things would've happened I'm sure.

A rev limiter has no way of controlling a forced mechanical over-rev from the driver screwing up on a shift. :nono:
Whew, most vipers that have did the missed down shift usually swap ends and go out of control. You can say one of the cars nine lives is gone.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whew, most vipers that have did the missed down shift usually swap ends and go out of control. You can say one of the cars nine lives is gone.
I got lucky on that one. I have experienced 'trailing throttle oversteer' a few times, and spun the car though.
It doesn't take much of anything to upset the car when close to the limit. (of traction)

Last edited:
OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hitting the rev limiter is not a great idea. the valve springs are a weak link and you can bend a push rod doing it at thosehigh rpms. i think it cuts off at like 6700

But The idea of a rev limiter is to cut the power plant before it gets to damaging point of engine failure. So I would awesome it kicks in few hundred safe revs before any damage occurs.

Sainthitch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your fine. I have done it on mine as well. By no means something you want to do all the time, but if it happens every blue moon your fine.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hit the Rev limit on occasion, it will not hurt anything as the cutoff is set between 6200 - 6300 rpms. It just feels like you hit a brick wall and slows you down. Nothing earth shattering and it's designed to stay well below the point of floating springs and lifters so don't worry about it.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hit the rev limiter in my Gen 2 all the time on the track, turn 8 at Willow Springs with 3.55 gears I'd bounce off it almost every lap in 4th gear.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6200 to 6300 with the stock CPU. I did it quite a bit in the Gen 1 I had. Doing it going up through the gears (drag racing or road racing is when I would do it) is not nearly as bad as missing a downshift and hitting 1st instead of 3rd. That is where you can really do damage.