Has anyone heard of any blockbuster technology to address side-sill heat?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recall hearing some generic mention of addressing firewall heat transfer from the engine to the cabin on the Gen V, but is there any news of blockbuster technology regarding this and side-sill heat issues?

As an aside, has anyone spent serious time in a Ferrari 599? Does it roast the cabin also?

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I like about Ralph being head of SRT is that what he wants to happen, will happen. He did make the comment about addressing the heat issue in the Gen V. So far, everything that he said he'd do, he has done. He can allocate the resources to solve the problem.

I like the story about the engineers with charts showing him why he couldn't get the sound he wanted to which he sent them out of his office with instructions to get the sound. From what I hear :) he got the sound. Another favorite saying from the announcement, "once we stopped listening to the people from within Chrysler tellin us what to do with the Viper . . ."

The heat transfer issue is a straight forward engineering issue. May take as couple of bucks to apply the solution, but it can be done. I've seen material that was so good that you could put your hand on top of a layer of it while a blow torch was applied to the bottom. No need to invent any new technology. The materials and design expertise are there. Apparently, the will to solve the problem is also there.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"AB: The previous Viper had some idiosyncrasies such as the hot exhaust pipe that could burn you when getting out and the loud and hot transmission tunnel, how were those issues addressed?

Gilles: We have a cast tip instead of the actual tip on the exhaust, so people won't get that kiss, that famous Viper kiss anymore.

The previous car had no sound deadening in the past. So now we've added a very lightweight high tech sound deadening material in the tunnel that is also a heat manager. It allows the cockpit to be a much more hospitable place, keeping the bad (noise) out but keeping the engine note and letting the good noises in."

From AutoBlog, Five Questions for Ralph Gilles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave