Has anyone installed Vinyl Stripes on their own?

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to cover painted stripes because I don't like the color. Has anyone bought the vinyl material on their own and cut and installed stripes?

Any tips would be appreciated. Like where to get the correct vinyl and how to cut and apply.

Thanks!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doing large areas like stripes can be a total bear. Getting all the bubbles out and working around all the curves is very tricky to do it right. I would have a professional do the job and the labor is not that expensive. Just as important only use a high quality vinyl to hold up as there are many companies that sell inferior vinyl.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me that since the car already has stripes I have a huge advantage, I agree it would be hard to lay out stripes from scratch. I don't feel that 600 is a fair price for the job either, I was quoted 800. For that price you could have them painted on.

Any links to the high quality vinyl? Thanks guys!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've done a tail stripe on my 67 Dart, but nothing on a Viper. Really not a complicated process, just time consuming and depends on your level of tolerance for imperfection. I really didn't think mine would come out as well as it did. It was a pretty simple 6" wide bumblebee stripe with 1/4" pinstripes on either end, but all packaged on one backing piece of material. I had a couple small bubbles that never quite went away, but if you take a razor blade a make a really small pinhole you can deflate them okay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great thanks for the info! I wonder if a company makes pre cut Viper GTS stripes with backing?

Seems like I could handle it from what I thought and your experience. Thanks a lot!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried it twice and after second time succeeded. Its a major PITA to do it. Never again. Ever.

How are you going to match the paint and covering the stripes? or are you just changing the color of stripes?

If you can find someone who paints Viper stripes for $800, I would say, go for it. Thats cheap.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Painting stripes for $800 is unrealistic unless its done by a barbarian on steroids with a blind fold and a really ****ty attitude…..seriously? I just had stripes done on my car to factory spec, this way they do not look out of place by graphics guy who does all our work for the cars at the dealership. its a pain in the ass you have to know what you do and be super patient. it took 4.5 hours…$495 low profile material, highest quality (9 year warranty), high gloss (very high metal content, he changed the blade after every cut). now the end result, they look fantastic (graphite/ silver stripes) and they look painted even looking from the side. I am going to take pictures and post them