Has anyone participated in any of the land speed record events?

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just watched the movie "The World's Fastest Indian" and got a little excited about trying one of these events. Has anyone here done it before and if so, where. Please share your experience. I have done the Silver State Classic before in the 150 mph class but the tech speed for that is only 165. I would like to try to top out the car in a legal and relatively safe venue. Let me hear from you.

Bob K

MichaelThurston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was asked to drive a tuner viper on a high speed oval. I said, "How about a roll cage." I was not asked to drive that day. A Car and Driver editor died when the tuner mercedes he was driving lost it's mind with the anti lock brakes. (To fast?) Apparently no one felt like continuing after that. Note that a previous Car and Driver editor survived a Lingenfelter(sp) trans am going tail over nose on the salt flats. The car had a massive roll cage.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salt flats group has scores of different classes. Fast classes need lots of safety equipment. Very serious people.

I believe Ron at SVS has the fastest speeds for a viper on the flats. Well over 200 MPH. Think K&N fielded a car, as well as several private parties.