Has anyone verified this guy's information? Video Motortrend Channel

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This video has been beat to death when it was posted months ago.

Johnny cries that the Viper is too loud, has bad gas milage, gets hot, etc

It is a V10 with side pipes

yawn

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the SLS maynot be the Viper exactly

you can't park the SLS next to the Viper and not see how similar they are. What other long nosed car like the Viper has debuted in the last 10-20 years?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has been hashed out before. The SLS is one wicked car and as pointed out it's three times the cost. Kind of like comparing a Subaru BRZ to a Viper. Sort of ridiculous with predictable results.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 4,500 miles, I have NEVER noticed any funky heating gradient from head to toe in the Viper. The only thing you have to watch out for are the hot door sills when you enter and exit. But inside the car, the heating and AC work just fine. Motor Trend's editors are drama queens.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all in the name of entertainment, although for Gen V owners who know better and Chrysler execs. it's got to be frustrating. (read....financially disasterous)

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c62cQBkQnIY

Paint melting at the sills
Conspiracy about the SLS using the Viper Chassis
30 degree difference from the feet and the upper body in the cabin?

It all sounds like a load of BS when he is knocking the viper.

Paint melting at the sills - This has been confirmed by owners. The paint on more than 1 car have discolored because of the heat. If you search you will find Jack B has post pics from a thermal camera showing the heat at the cat. over 200 degrees at the sills.

Conspiracy of the SLS using Viper Chassis - There were several articles on this years ago. The "rumor" did happen. Start here for example.. http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/16/report-dodge-originally-developed-sls-amg-to-be-next-gen-viper/

30 degree difference between feet and upper body in cabin - I believe this to be close to the truth. Any amount of time on a hot day in my Viper I find my feet quite warm. Even on cool days I would remove my shoes and drive in shorts. If it were summer out I would get my IR thermometer and go for a ride and do some tests. (added to the to-do list for next year) but I know the foot well is much warmer than the upper body in the cabin.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paint melting at the sills - This has been confirmed by owners. The paint on more than 1 car have discolored because of the heat. If you search you will find Jack B has post pics from a thermal camera showing the heat at the cat. over 200 degrees at the sills.

Agreed this has happened with a number of owners, I haven't seen it on my car but perhaps it doesn't show on darker colors.

30 degree difference between feet and upper body in cabin - I believe this to be close to the truth. Any amount of time on a hot day in my Viper I find my feet quite warm. Even on cool days I would remove my shoes and drive in shorts. If it were summer out I would get my IR thermometer and go for a ride and do some tests. (added to the to-do list for next year) but I know the foot well is much warmer than the upper body in the cabin.

I wonder if this is the case for the Gen V or if they've improved this since Gen IV, as I haven't noticed it. If it does occur, it hasn't gotten my attention.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I believe the heat issue you experience in the Gen IV, is more intense than in the Gen V. Catalytic converters crossing under the car on the Gen III and Gen IV were a major heat source. If I recall this was addressed on the V. It's still going to be there, just not as bad as the earlier cars. I remember talk of this, I'll double check.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This needs a little clarification. The Gen5 sills run cooler than the previous generations. Unless I missed something the only verifiable case of a heat/paint issue is ViperSmith's car, he has a minor discoloration on the bottom lip of side panel/gil. There have been other discusions, but, no pics or sustantiation.

Join the thread at the VOA on the Belangers, it explains everything. The foot well/toe box does run hot. however, that can also easily be fixed. The thread on the Belangers is interesting.

Agreed this has happened with a number of owners, I haven't seen it on my car but perhaps it doesn't show on darker colors.

I wonder if this is the case for the Gen V or if they've improved this since Gen IV, as I haven't noticed it. If it does occur, it hasn't gotten my attention.

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I believe the heat issue you experience in the Gen IV, is more intense than in the Gen V. Catalytic converters crossing under the car on the Gen III and Gen IV were a major heat source. If I recall this was addressed on the V. It's still going to be there, just not as bad as the earlier cars. I remember talk of this, I'll double check.

The cats didnt cross over. In GIII & Gen IV the cats up front, then the exhuast runs down the side. The difference in the Gen III is the exhaust crosses over under the back. The Gen IV does not do this, its very similar to the V.

The V may have more insulation, but the footwell being hottest part of the cabin is pretty common for a Viper. Hot cats, hot feet.

LouN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is a large heat gradient between foot wells and upper cabin, esp on warm or hot days. Trust me.

purenxs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c62cQBkQnIY

Paint melting at the sills
Conspiracy about the SLS using the Viper Chassis
30 degree difference from the feet and the upper body in the cabin?

It all sounds like a load of BS when he is knocking the viper.

That guy was kind compared to Carlos' opening statements. I think both videos are good, keeping in mind a magazine driver's perspective does not necessarily make it so. It hasn't deterred me one bit on the Gen V, I think it's a great car. Oh, this vid really old!:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lK_b-5gerM

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets