Head Gaskets

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There may be an obvious reason for this but, has anyone considered copper head gaskets for the Viper? Specifically, the GEN I's? They're usually used on racecars and are more expensive but they can't possibly be more expensive than the price DC is charging for the re-engineered (but still inferior to copper) gaskets. Thoughts?

--Rob

OP
OP
R

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't find a link but I assume you're talking about these guys? I've tried the phone numbers but get "Your call cannot be completed as dialed" for both of them.

Clark Copper Head Gaskets
10510 Nassau St. NE
Blaine, MN 55449
612 - 786 - 9590
Fax 612 - 786 - 0402

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was never able to find them on the web. The guy that did my heads actually contacted them for me. I will call and get the info.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there are quite a few of us Gen 1 guys who would love the info...so please post your findings

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you should ask....
I have a pair of custom made copper gaskets. They are made for GEN II Viper heads. I paid extra to have a special coating applied and treated with the copper to make certain they will last forever. They are even re-usable!
If you are interested, I will give you a great deal on them, as I sold my Viper before I had the chance to install them. They are brand new, sealed in the box, and I would be willing to sell the pair for $150.
Anyone interested? The good news is that these are designed to lower the compression .5 of a point as well which make it an ideal solution for supercharger, turbocharger, and nitrous applications. These gaskets are a work of art.
Let me know. You can e-mail me at [email protected]
Thx.
-Wayne

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
LTHL VPR - Many of us looking at dealing with the head gasket issue are Gen 1 guys which is a DIFFERENT head gasket than the Gen 2.

Any and all info that you have regarding these gaskets would be appreciated - ie who made them, cost, etc.. Maybe a group buy can be negotiated!

THANK YOU!

BTW - Nice Avatar - Can I say I love that Old Vette on this board without being roasted?

OP
OP
R

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got ahold of the Clark Copper Head Gasket company. They DO make copper head gaskets for the Viper but the person I spoke to wasn't sure if it's for Gen I or Gen II. They said to trace one and send it to them and they can custom make a set in 6-10 days. Cost: About $65 each! Now, my car had a slight leak some time ago but I fixed it by re-torquing the heads. I would, however, like to pursue this further as I hate to see people get ***** by DC on the new gasket prices for the Gen I's.

SO, does anyone have a set of Gen I head gaskets they'd be willing to send me? New or used, as long as the various holes are in good shape. I'd even be willing to pay for the shipping.

--Rob

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can get you Copper head gaskets no problem I have a set of 90 thou thick ones in stock for a gen 11 they are great for lowering compression for blower or turbo applications. Gen1 head gaskets are also available to order. Remember when using copper head gaskets you need to oring the head to seal the combustion chamber properly. You then spray the gasket with Permatex spray a gasket for copper part number 101MA.

OP
OP
R

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you have some experience with this Mike. What kind of o-rings are we talking about here and where do you get them? Also, the Clark people mentioned that if you're using the copper gaskets with a turbo or supercharger you should have a groove machined into the head to hold the o-ring. Is that not necesarry with the gaskets you have assuming no turbos or superchargers are being used?

Do you know of many cars that have these gaskets? Are they used on cars that are not racecars? In other words, are they reliable for high-mileage?

--Rob

VinR1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have copper head gaskets in my mustang, o-ringed too. The motor was built by Dugan Racing in GA and the gaskets are Milodon (sp). By no means a Viper but Ive put over 120,000 miles with 9psi and theres no leaks whatsoever. 1 block, 2 sets of pistons, 3 sets of heads, and 4 rebuilds LOL - and still using same head gaskets. and I put anywhere from 60 - 100+ miles a day on this car

wise investment... if you can find 'em

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting post. We are in the process of developing copper head gaskets featuring our Patent Pending WhiteSeal Technology coating. Copper is an excellent gasket to hold high pressure, but are known for their leaking of fluids.

Our program is not just to produce a copper gasket, many do. Our program is to solve a problem using the latest sealing technology. We have tested these gaskets so far in o-ringed and non o-ringed applications and so far everything looks great. Our testing has included GM, Ford and Chry engines. However we have not tested any Viper sets.

Who are "we"? We are an OE and aftermarket company who holds over 80 sealing patents. We are heavy OE (we make all OE gaskets for the Gen III except for the head gasket, our choice there) with an aftermarket division. If someone one would like to test a set please e-mail me @ [email protected] to discuss your engine. To date we have successfully sealed over 2000 HP with our coated copper, leak free. Some of you know me and know I'm not a poser an BSer or a me "too" in the gasket industry. Hope to hear from a few of you. Thanks Pat

OP
OP
R

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pat, I'd be willing to try out the copper head gaskets. Call me at (703)780-5629 when you get a chance. I was going to have some of these custom made but your WhiteSeal Technology sounds interesting. Does it replace the o-rings perhaps? Or the spray-on selant? Post more about it here for others if you don't mind.

--Rob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave