headlight restoration

badasp2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever have the headlights on a viper restored to clear them up ? My gen1 could use it and the 3M shop is hesitant to do them ???? tks Don''

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BG Products has a kit that we use at my Dealership that does a great job. The kit is made by LenzSaver and we have used it on 2 Viper's and the headlights almost look new.To do the job correctly you will need a variable speed buffer as the kit comes with a couple of small pads to work the different creams into the headlight to really clear it up.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've done a lot of headlights and they are easy to do. I use a drill with Adam's 4" pad kit. Depends on how bad your lights are, but I start with Adam's Swirl&Haze Remover and follow up with Adam's Fine Machine Polish. Make sure to either clear coat the lenses, or apply a durable wax to prevent the hazing from coming back.

Email me if you need help.

[email protected]

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ve used the 3M kit several times on diff vehicles including my GTS.
Haveing over 40K highway miles on her mine where pretty bad so i started with one grit coarser than what came with the kit to get her down to a good clean base and completely sanded off the raised letters/numbers as they make the machine polishing more difficult.

[media]http://www.detailing.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/h/e/headlight_restoration.jpg[/media]

Amazon.com: 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System: Automotive

3Mâ„¢ Headlight Lens Restoration System 39008 - Headlight Lens Restoration - Products

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
****can all that bs kit crap, wetsand them and clearcoat them,have a bodyshop do them for a small fee,thay will look new

F

FrgMstr

The kits make it easy....hell you can actually use toothpaste to do it if you want. Just need a very fine abrasive.

Just make SURE you TAPE OFF THE SURROUNDING AREA VERY WELL. :)

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this something that can be prevented by placing film on the lamps to begin with? I have Xpel on the fogs, but haven't been able to find it templated for the mains.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get ahold of any company-the temps r out there, they can send u a set for the headlights

F

FrgMstr

I'll look again. Does the film prevent hazing in your experience?

Yes it does. Protects the headlight against everything else except UV. And you can get UV conditioner for most tints. Lamin-X sells kits. Used them on my car. Use the UV stuff when I polish.

Automotive Protection Products from Lamin-x

Went with the lighter tint and it comes off not looking Ricer in my opinion.

HERE is a picture of it in the sunlight. The tint does not look out of place to me.

You must be registered for see images

Did "Tint" on the headlights and "Gunsmoke" on the fogs.

Items Ordered: Price: Status:
1 of : Dodge Viper (03-10) Headlight Covers [Headlight Color:Tint][Fog Light Color:Gunsmoke][UV Protectants:8oz Bottle]
$64.90 Shipped
1 of : One 12" x 24" Universal Film Cover [Film Options:Gunsmoke (12%)] (Bought this sheet to do the backup lights but have not gotten around to it yet.)

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ve used the 3M kit several times on diff vehicles including my GTS.
Haveing over 40K highway miles on her mine where pretty bad so i started with one grit coarser than what came with the kit to get her down to a good clean base and completely sanded off the raised letters/numbers as they make the machine polishing more difficult.

[media]http://www.detailing.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/h/e/headlight_restoration.jpg[/media]

Amazon.com: 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System: Automotive

3M™ Headlight Lens Restoration System 39008 - Headlight Lens Restoration - Products

That's how I did mine. I need to fine sand it some more to remove some fine scratches but it's a lot better than what it used to be. I also removed the letters as well. :2tu:

You must be registered for see images attach

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would avoid future visits to a shop that is hesitant to restore headlights. It's about as risk free as you can get in terms of advanced detailing procedures.

Think about how thick the material is you will need to sand down, probably around a million times thicker than most clear coat systems.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will have to try... give me something to do while I'm not working for 25 days. Hope it don't take too long. It has like scratches on the inside, like there was a demon in each headlight trying to get out.

whts-nxt?

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you can take them apart but you can break them. I had to on my 03 vert. I have a bodyshop and just from taking others, 'different headlights" apart is the only reason i felt halfway comfortable doing it. use a heat gun to warm up the sealant where the lens meets the housing and work your way around from there.