Headlights photoshops

Choose your favorite headlight design:

• Total voters

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So yesterday I play a little bit with the headlights of gen5. I was wondering how would the gen3/4 headlights would look. After I was done with the edition I looked at both pictures for some time and the more I looked at them the more I started thinking the original headlights look best among the two. It separates the car quite a bit from the previous generation, which is a good thing. So I stated thinking that may be there is a headlight design that would make the car look better, less feminine and meaner but I did not think it was the gen3/4 headlights. So I thought what if I make a hybrid between the two and I really liked the result. I also I kind of miss the fog lights so I added some fog light fangs. What do you guys think?

Original:

You must be registered for see images

Modified:

You must be registered for see images attach

And here is the history of how I got there:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here it is with the grill color matched:

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And without fog lights:

Original:

Modified:

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen3/4 headlights + Fang Fog Lights:

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh Man!!! The one above is the best. Dont mid the no fog lights but the stock eyes are the only sore design for me. I wonder if its too latet o change the lights ;)

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh Man!!! The one above is the best. Dont mid the no fog lights but the stock eyes are the only sore design for me. I wonder if its too latet o change the lights ;)

I'm sure there won't be any changes on the design at this point and I don't think there will be an aftermarket solution to change the headlights either. It would be too expensive because you would have to modify the clamshell hood which is all carbon fiber. It was not as hard to do it in photo edition software and I was curious to see what it would look like. Don't get me wrong I really like the gen5. I think SRT nailed it and if I had the money I would take it over a ZR1 or even a Ferrari Italia all day long. Having said that I wanted to see if I could go from this:

to this:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts.....

The animated snakehead comparison reminds me of when I mocked up some goofing around on the forum here posting pics one night about 3 years ago or so.... modeled all of this in CAD in 3D, a snakehead with an aggressive or angry expression, and a crazy fanged wheel design.. was just playing around with scenes..

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't go back to the Gen 3/4 headlights but the new headlights just look weird to me.....they need a whole new design on the headlights from my perspective.....

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess a topic could be why some don't like the new headlights..

Is it because that it doesn't have an aggressive expression, is it the appeal for the car to have a ********** street fighter look to it?

Dodge sure likes to have angry expressions on the front of their cars, like the Charger.. and I tend to wonder why people like this because I'm not a psychologist. It gets to point of being a bit imature, possibly for some guys who drive around flexing their triceps with their hand at top of the steering wheel pulling up beside people at a stop light.. posing to be badass? Meanwhile their other vehicle is a 4x4 pickup jacked up to the sky..

Ferrari doesn't typically go for the angry aggressive expression, as I tend to think it's more common being desirable in the North American sports car culture / industry?

Just questions... what is the root of why some do not like the new headlights?

Cheers,
Mike

PS.. I liked Sneaky Pete

PPS.. just spotted this, angry headlights on a VW Beetle.. :rolleyes: :rolaugh:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/28/abt-introduces-240-hp-tuned-vw-beetle/

Last edited:

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So yesterday I play a little bit with the headlights of gen5. I was wondering how would the gen3/4 headlights would look. After I was done with the edition I looked at both pictures for some time and the more I looked at them the more I started thinking the original headlights look best among the two. It separates the car quite a bit from the previous generation, which is a good thing. So I stated thinking that may be there is a headlight design that would make the car look better, less feminine and meaner but I did not think it was the gen3/4 headlights. So I thought what if I make a hybrid between the two and I really liked the result. I also I kind of miss the fog lights so I added some fog light fangs. What do you guys think?

Original:

Modified:

And here is the history of how I got there:

The above two really work. The rest not for me, I'd never give up the brake cooling ducts for useless fog lights.

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To me head lights make a big statement about the design. The wheels are another feature. Just by changing the wheels, you can totally change the look. Unfortunetly you can't just change the headlights without going drastic. I loved the lights on my 360 but hate the lights on the new 458. The Gen 1 and gen 3 lights look aggressive which the whole point of the off the wall design was to be different from other sport cars and be very "mean" looking. To me, and I know it was not their intent, but the whole car in general lokks great but then they just said well lets just throw this on their. Like they forgot about the asthetics just because they fitted it with LED's to match the likes of MB and Audi. I don't like the 458 lights but it looks like they really studied the design to match the shapes of the car. Like I said, I know it is too late but if you guys over there are listening, please come out and say the light distirbutor was changed last minute causing a redesign in the lights ;)

Here is a point to consider. If an old design still works after 20 years then why sway far from it. I would LOVE to see the Gen 1 lights on this new design. Modded with HIDs and LED of course to make it modern.

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts.....

The animated snakehead comparison reminds me of when I mocked up some goofing around on the forum here posting pics one night about 3 years ago or so.... modeled all of this in CAD in 3D, a snakehead with an aggressive or angry expression, and a crazy fanged wheel design.. was just playing around with scenes..

Cheers,
Mike

Man that is cool. I wish I knew CAD. I'd sure enjoy working on some gen6 renderings.

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting turn of events so far. It seems that around 63% of voters would have rather a different headlights design. My vote went to the hybrid headlights with the fang like fog lights. I think it looks a little cartoonish in the pic but I'm sure it would look a million times better in real life. And I have to say I think most people would feel a little intimidated seeing those lights at night on their rear view mirror. People would immediately know what it is.

My wife liked my second favorite the best:

Last edited:

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if you only counted folks that have seen the new car in person what the results would be?

Interesting though, the more I look at all these photoshops (btw, thanks for doing), I am so glad the fog lights are gone. I no longer get distracted by looking at a part of the car that is not very interesting. Also, the various headlights show the form of the car is very well done as several of them "work". For me though, glad to move on from the past to modern lighting technology.

PJ9454

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will say one thing though... the LEDs around the headlights are the Poodle skirts of the era. 10 years from now folks are gonna laugh at cars with those stupid LEDs.

The Gen 4 headlight on the front end helps that car soooo much.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Color keyed grill is interesting , I kind of like the look of that , but not a fan of the foglights at all - either style. I think the side intake look is wicked.

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The fact is that so far the poll shows that the Gen5 original headlight design has the highest percentage, which clearly shows that SRT nailed it. While it's still under 50% at this point, I think most people would agree it's a really difficult task to please everyone and the poll shows that those headlights have the highest acceptance rate of every single option.

When I saw the first pictures/videos of the car there were a couple things that threw me off. Specially something about the front end which in my opinion just doesn't have that mean look of the Gen4. The back end and the side view of the car are very nice but there is something about the front that just doesn't quite do it for me. I still can't figure out what it is. However the more I look at it the more it grows on me, even the headlights and doing the picture edition and seeing the differences between them helped quite a bit. Looks wise I still prefer the last generation and even more the Street Serpent body (but of course I'm biased) having said that the overall package the gen5 offers is incredibly attractive and I sure hope one day I'll be able to park one at the side of my gen3.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will say one thing though... the LEDs around the headlights are the Poodle skirts of the era. 10 years from now folks are gonna laugh at cars with those stupid LEDs.

The Gen 4 headlight on the front end helps that car soooo much.

Like they laugh at HID lights today or LED tailights? I don't think so as look how silly the lighting looks now on 60's and 70's cars. It is just evolution and suspect like everything else, those done tastefully will look good for a long time and those that don't, will looks silly.

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like the way they are. All the photoshops IMHO look fugly or childish. GTS Bruce

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I have to ask what do you think is childish about this?

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try photoshopping the Volado design headlights. To me, the headlights should be wide and short, not tall and thin like on the Gen V design. It was the largest "throw off" for me in the design of the new car. The Gen 3/4 headlights on the Gen V body don't differentiate the car from the previous generations enough. JMO.

PJ9454

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HID and LED taillights are not "Poodle Skirts". They are integrated functional items that look to serve a purpose and don't have a whacky boingy look to them like the headlight trim LED's that just look silly.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HID and LED taillights are not "Poodle Skirts". They are integrated functional items that look to serve a purpose and don't have a whacky boingy look to them like the headlight trim LED's that just look silly.
I disagree. They are just a way to integrate both the turn signals in the area as well as a new aspect to help identify a car and are the running lights in many cases which have a safety aspect to them. So, while you may not like the look, don't say they don't serve a purpose.

Classic example is Audi. Very easy to both see and identify an audi coming up on you with their system.

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try photoshopping the Volado design headlights. To me, the headlights should be wide and short, not tall and thin like on the Gen V design. It was the largest "throw off" for me in the design of the new car. The Gen 3/4 headlights on the Gen V body don't differentiate the car from the previous generations enough. JMO.

Here you go:

I think I have a new favorite. It looks pretty good.

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wish I could add a new option to the poll. To see what others think about the above one. That one sure does have the mean look I was looking for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62