Help FAST - 97 GTS - Oil Capacity - Which is correct - service or owner manual?

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm storing my car this afternoon. Based on the research I did here and owners manual, 8.5 quarts (with filter) seems to be the recomended capacity for an oil change for a 97 GTS.

Just to be safe I checked my 1997 service manual. It says the right amount is 7.5 quarts with filter.

Which is correct?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
CAUTION: Are you the 1st owner? Many 96.5-99 Viper owners added the LATER high-capacity pan. It is a highly-regarded and recommended mod. So after you add 8.0, run the engine, sit a while and chek the stick.....

OP
OP
K

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CAUTION: Are you the 1st owner? Many 96.5-99 Viper owners added the LATER high-capacity pan. It is a highly-regarded and recommended mod. So after you add 8.0, run the engine, sit a while and chek the stick.....

Thanks. I just finished. I was using leveled jack stands and I don't car what anyone says......in close quarters like that, removing the oil filter tightened by a dealer is a b##tch to remove.

Funny....I only added 8 quarts and I am over the max. (Yes, i am sure I removed all the oil) I ran it and I am going to check the level in the morning as Jon suggested. Thank you.

A BIG thank you to Viper Tony's thread on jacking these cars up properly and safely on 4 jack stands. It was my first time doing it.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I just finished. I was using leveled jack stands and I don't car what anyone says......in close quarters like that, removing the oil filter tightened by a dealer is a b##tch to remove.

Funny....I only added 8 quarts and I am over the max. (Yes, i am sure I removed all the oil) I ran it and I am going to check the level in the morning as Jon suggested. Thank you.

A BIG thank you to Viper Tony's thread on jacking these cars up properly and safely on 4 jack stands. It was my first time doing it.

My 97 took a 7.5 quart fill. You have to remember that there is probably another quart in the cooler/cooler lines. Another hint is to use the Competition Coupe filter, it flows and filters better. One last thing, even when it is hot, if you leave the car drain over night you will get almost another pint out of the engine.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also go with the dipstick,and its 9 quarts even everytime.:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62