Help! I washed my GTS and it runs horrible

Greg B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I washed my GTS today, there was some water under the hood, The car is Roe Supercharged and the VEC2 had some water under the unit but not on it. I took the air compressor and blew all the water i could see away, started the car drove it down the street, it drove okay until i got on it a little then it started sputtering - stalled and an engine light went on, i checked for a code and got 1391

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the VEC2 got wet. Not good.

You need to dry that baby out before running the car.;)

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you reset your card in the vec?

Remove the cable plugs, you will probably see moisture on the inside of the vec/plug - as everyone has said start drying it. If any of the cables have a downward slant they will bring moisture into the unit. If at all possible try to get the cables lower then the plug entry at some point.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I washed my GTS today, there was some water under the hood, The car is Roe Supercharged and the VEC2 had some water under the unit but not on it. I took the air compressor and blew all the water i could see away, started the car drove it down the street, it drove okay until i got on it a little then it started sputtering - stalled and an engine light went on, i checked for a code and got 1391

Could we see a picture of the Vec location ? I never covered mine and never had a problem.....granted it only got washed about 12 times a year if that, but it was also driven in rain.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a perfect pic but you can get the idea if you look close. A guy on the SRT Ram forum had a bunch of these made. It works great. It's velcro'd down and has an opening for the wires in the back. You just lift it up to re-card the VEC.

P9270301.JPG

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VEC is quite easy to take apart. Pull the printed boards out, spray them up with contact cleaner, brush with a toothbrush, and put back together. Be very careful to get the lights through the face holes before screwing the case together tightly. I always keep the card slot covered with 33+. I have a thin layer of duct seal around the back slots and then wrapped with 33+ out a couple inches.

Never pop the hood up a notch before washing. The VEC will be saturated

Steve

...the above cleaning advice is per Sean Roe

Last edited:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it's worth, you can use "microwavable" saran wrap (which can take engine heat) and simply wrap the entire VEC unit. If you make just one complete wrap and tuck in the sides under the unit, the velcro at the bottom will still "crimp" the unit straight thru the wrap. If you can stretch out any creases, it's barely visible and essentially waterproof (perhaps not for a direct pressure hose onslaught, but certainly for rain and weekend exterior washing).

Simple but effective. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62