Help me choose between VOI 8 and 3-day racing school

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a relatively new Viper owner and have never attended a VOI event. I also have not yet attended a racing school. Each event would take a week's worth of vacation time. So I know what I'd be getting from the racing school but am not sure about what VOI 8 would offer (have yet to see an agenda). I looked at all the pictures you posted from last years event but wanted to hear from those that have done both. I also would be traveling alone as my wife has other plans in September. Knowing that I could not do both, thoughts anyone to help me decide?

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been to VOI's and a couple of schools.

If socializing are your priority, VOI is THE way to go. (They will have some track events, but they are pretty tame...)

If driving is your thing, it's a 3 day school, HANDS DOWN!

But try this on for size... Viper Days, http://www.viperdays.com/schedule.html, event in May at Mid-America in Iowa (May 14 - 16) - about 7 hrs away. I'm guessing you'd be a Viper Days "rookie" (and if not, please accept my apologies!) and that means you only run Sat and Sun. Very possible to get there and back between leaving Friday afternoon and back late Sunday.

And then you could do BOTH!

At least that's my plan!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
EASY answer...NO KIDDING...go to VOI.8 AND Viper Days...as they are back to back in Texas !!! One trip, spread out over 5 days of fun...you CAN'T lose !!! VOI.8 9/9/04-9/12/04 and Viper Days 9/13/04-9/14/04.

Now, try me on a HARDER question :D :D :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
D

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Yes, I would be a rookie at ViperDays. What do you all do insurance-wise? I can't imagine racing on a track is covered under normal insurance carriers and I am not going to call my agent and ask and raise any suspicion. Viperdays sounds pretty cool, just not too crazy about accidentally hitting someone or getting hit on the race track. Thoughts?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Being a "rookie" at Viper Days is a plus...you MIGHT talk Courtney into a first time discount.

There are SOME insurance companies that allow "Driver's School" as long as one does not "race", participate in "timed event", does not "prepare for racing event/timed event" etc....and SOME companies do not.

Viper Days has a NEW FLIER that is worth getting as it discusses the use of "timing" for the purpose of safety in the process of gridding the students in the safety course...this is not racing in my opinion.

Give Courtney a call tomorrow at 1-847-594-8477 and discuss above with her.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might have noticed mt affiliation is with the N. Texas Viper Club. I can't tell you much about our local folks...

I'd be happy to stay in touch and see if we can't coordinate something!

The Viper Days event for we novices emphasizes safety. I'm not aware that group has hurt a car (although some of the more "experienced" groups have). Like Steve said, talk with Courtney.

What do I do about insurance for Viper Days? Drive 8/10ths, keep my eyes and ears open and have a good time!

badsnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Steve from Indiana. Go to the VOI-8 and then do the Viper Day event that follows. Did this in St Louis at the VOI-6, never regretted it. Great experience and great driving time and instruction. Recommend you run your stock tires that you drive there with and reserve new tires from one of the vendors (ie: Archer Racing) to replace after event for drive home. Something nice about driving 950 miles to an event, partying with hundreds of other viper owners for 3 days, then driving your own car on a road track for 2 full days, changing the tires, and then driving home. My old car was a '96 RT-10 that I just traded in last year with 72,000 miles for a new SRT-10. Drove to all the VOI's from VOI 4 - VOI 7, and each was well worth it. Mike K from upstate NY.

BarbaraAnn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been to six VOI's and one driving school (not racing school, however), and I'd say go to the Invitational. They only happen every other year, and there are many driving/racing school opportunities. Also, I am told that there will be a caravan from Colorado...seven cars going so far, including me, from Utah.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve is Right, imagine that! :laugh:

And hey, you can get a little driving instruction on the drive down to Texas too! :2tu:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper