Help needed fabracating viper GTS side windows

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friend of mine has just imported a Viper GTS race car. It has a full cage in the car and the cage is very close to the edge of the roof. It currently has no side windows, just the race netting on the Drivers side of the cage.

We need to fabricate some kind of frame to attach to the fibreglass doors which we could then fit Plexiglass windows to with a sliding window opening (like fitted to the GTS Le mans race cars?) Ideally this frame could be detachable from the door so if you wished to drive with no side windows this could be an option? (something possably like the Gen 1 Vipers)

As I said the safety cage is very close to the roof edge so fitting some kind of weather strip could be a real problem!

Do any of you guys that run Gen 2s have side windows fitted? If so, HOW have you done this with the glass fibre doors?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUcstxGI9U&list=UUi6VyHJ77lXMDcImq3lcgWA&index=2

Thanks Mark.

Last edited:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Windows are not allowed in SCCA, NASA, NARRA, PCA that i know of. Unless your racing in a
Historic Series...

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The plan is to do the minimum to convert the car back to a Bad ass road car :D It will be used / driven to track days in the UK and Pete intends to drive the car to Le mans this year to support Team Viper ;) Now being as we are putting this car back on the street, security (and British weather) play a big part in needing some side windows.

We need to put a Handbrake back on the car, add a rear Fog light, Number plates and lights, New legal road tires, windscreen washer bottle and some way to lock the doors?

Then we can have some fun on the roads :D

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, :2tu: We were also wondering what internal engine mods (if any) have been done to the car?

We know it has custom exhaust and smooth tubes but there was not much other history that came with the car :(

If anyone knows what races the car was used in or has any Photos or video footage that would be great to add to the cars Providence.

I will forward the info to Pete :)

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would contact Dan Cragin. He was selling the car on several sites a few months back. IIRC it had a stock motor with very little mileage -2K I believe. Best of luck.

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pete bought the car from Dan, it took a while to get the car shipped, the paperwork was somewhat lacking! :( He is now in the process working out what needs to be done to get the car through inspection :)

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no go for Archer...they no longer have any GTSs to take the window measurements from...

OP
OP
F

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no go for Archer...they no longer have any GTSs to take the window measurements from...
I think good ole cardboard templates would be the way to go, once you have a template of a frame the next task would be working out what to make it from. Money no object, Carbon, but it could be done using aluminium then laminate the frame using glass fibre. Thing is if I remember correctly you wanted the windows and frame removable like the windows on your old R/T.

Well it could be done, you would have to do some modding to your door internally to build in some kind of slot the top frame could fit into. Got any Kit car manufactures near you? It would be right up there street :) Even a back street engineering shop should be able to knock something up.

Biggest problem I could see is the frame would have to be very stable at High Speed and somehow be made to resist water entering the cockpit?

I do have a friend of mine who might be able to help you. He lives Nr Wincanton, but he's out of the country a lot of the time as he fixes Aircraft Air frames all over Europe, But if you get stuck I could ask.

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Boxer! Tried Tom but guess he's busy or uninterested as I've had no response. Going to size up and mock cut up some sheet now....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets