Help...shop damaged my tires

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sent my iforge wheels in to get painted. When I got it back, there was a bubble on the sidewall of each rear tire. ***...how did this happen? Also, one of my center caps cracked. What's my recourse? Would the bubble go away if they remount it properly? Please advise...I'm just livid :mad:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the bubble won't get better. That's a damaged sidewall. Probably happened if they didn't have the right machine. Low profile tires are a bear to mount.

Sometimes underinflation or a pothole can cause the sidewall bubble - so I hope you saw it before leaving the tire shop. Otherwise, it'll be hard to prove that they screwed it up - as they'll just say you hit a pothole.

They probably cracked your center cap when they popped it out.

Let us know what you find out.

OP
OP
M

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx Janni. That's why I left the wheels/tires at the shop still, until I can talk to the manager tomorrow. Next time, I'll trust my instincts. Never had a good feeling about their so called "customer service". I'll update tomorrow on the situation.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Simple: they owe you a tire and a center cap. If they don't comply, sue them in small claims court.

By the way, send me a PM with the name of the shop.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno...they said they were going to paint the center & then powder coat the clear coat :dunno:

Powdercoating involves baking to cure. They prob threw everything in the oven and cooked you tires. They should have been smarter than that.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like Janni said, typically a bubble only occurs when there has been sidewall damage. It usually happens from hitting potholes or curbs. Its basically a bruise to the tire. Usually if there dismounting and mounting and they tear the sidewall, when tire is aired up, it will look more deformed then just a bubble.

My first guess would be that you already had the bubbles and just didnt notice them. Either way, if there are bubbles, you should replace the tires.

OP
OP
M

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UNFU*KINGBELIEVABLE...now they're telling me there is no way their machine could have done the damage. They even had the audacity to tell me to prove that the bubble wasn't there when they initially received it. Bunch of morons. OK...what's my next step: should I pick up the wheels/tires & take pics of the damage at their shop or should I leave them there & seek legal counceling? I'm not going to let them get away was this BS :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't a shop typically bring any wheel or tire abnormalities to your attention one way or the other before they proceded - just to cover themselves?

OP
OP
M

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't a shop typically bring any wheel or tire abnormalities to your attention one way or the other before they proceded - just to cover themselves?

EXACTLY...that's what I told them. Then he came back with..."well, yeah, one of our guys did notice a bump while dismounting the tires". Well then, you dumas should've mentioned that to me prior to proceeding? :mad:

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the bubble itself is nothing to worry about, that is the rubber compound pulling away from the Plys underneath. the ruuber on the sidewalls is made to protect the sidewalls from being tore (the underneath plys of material) the rubber sidewall actually has no function other than look and your are most likely safe to drive...but I would still be pretty **********.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id never drive my viper if the sidewall had a bubble. if he saw the bubbles on DIS mount, they would NEVER have mounted the tire on the wheels again. its total BS.

take the wheels outta there immediately before they mess them up.

id try to talk to the owner instead of the manager

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would think that with high $ items, people would be mor carefull. I agree with the others, they would have notified you about the tire damage before mounting them again.