Help with Garage Door

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has extended their garage door height to accommodate a four post lift? I'm looking for some advise and also trying to locate an extension panel for my standard double wide garage door. I went to home depots and lowes website and they do not list the panels just whole doors. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! :drive:

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm confused....why do you need to extend the door?.....I would think all you need to do is get new tracks that run closer to the ceiling to make room.....maybe also add a side opener....am I missing something?

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you extend the tracks the last panel wheels needs to be in the arch transition track with my existing door opener setup, if not when the electric garage door pulls on the opener arm it will just jam and possibly destroy the track, it will pull the door in and not up and over, if I did a side opener I would have to have an outlet wired in and buy a new electric opener. I feel buying a panel and extend the tracks is a "do it yourself" job with the set up I have now, if I go with the side opener I will need to hire someone to properly find the mounting location and lifting points on the door and rework the electrical

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my 4 post lift I had to get the tracks for my garage door raised but thats all I had to do. Door opens and closes without a problem. My opener was just moved closer to the ceiling. Did not have to get a floor mounted opener. I have a two car garage.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes i have it done. you need to get a door lift motor/chain that mounts on the wall. that way it isnt down in the way. you want the door to go up as high as possible before it makes a turn. that way when car is on the lift the door wont hit it. i advise talking to someone who does commercial garage doors. most residential guys dont have a clue. i can shoot pics of my garage if you need em

SSGSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me tommorow I have done this to two diffrent garages for my lifts. Did you get the other car

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Liftmaster side mounted opener 3800
Great!

You must be registered for see images attach

XTREMDRM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jonny Viper;
I extended my garage doors. Used the same motor ( attached to ceiling, extended tracks, added additional doors panels.

Attachments

• Door extension 2.jpg
    Door extension 2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Door extension 3.jpg
    Door extension 3.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Door extension.jpg
    Door extension.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Members online