Hey, my car spit on me - what gives?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The air conditioning in my 2000 GTS has been spotty. Sometimes it cools very well, other times it seems to be nonexistent. As I made my way to Topeka tonight for a little night drag racing, the A/C slowly got warmer and more humid. I finally turned it off just before stopping for a drink (soda, dang it). Got back in the car and cranked the vent (not A/C). As soon as I did, chunks of stuff came flying out of the vent - I thought it was small gravel and was pretty well stunned. Nope, it was ICE! Sure enough, little flakes of ice came out in one shot and it didn't do it again after that. Had the A/C running on the way home and it was very cold initially and again got slowly warmer and more humid. Finally gave up. I assume this is an easy diagnosis (it is obviously freezing up), but I would appreciate any thoughts on it before I take it in to one of the dealers here. That way I only need to make one visit.

Thanks!

Chris

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '99 did the exact same thing and couldn't find anyone else who had this happen. I drove from Lake Charles, LA.(southwest area) to St. Louis for VOI6! When we got to Branson, my a/c didn't seem to be working well. All of a sudden, ICE flew out the vents. Afterwhich, the a/c steadily got weaker. Dealer found a leak in the unit and fixed it and replaced refrigerant. Worked great afterward. Very strange.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, the first time I was on this VCA board a guy was talking about having the same problem. I remember it because it was the first post I replied too. Anyway, my father had a Lincoln that did the same thing, more or less. It would freeze up and spit ice but it never got so bad that it got to the point of only blowing warm air.

I guess I don't have any cure to offer but just wanted to say that apparently it has happened to other Vipers.

Here is what was apparently happening to my father's car...

When you stop in humid weather with the A/C elements cold, the condensation freezes on them. When you get back in and start up the A/C, the ice just builds up until it clogs up and the air blows past melting ice (warmer) instead of the elements (cold). In order to get this condition though you need some serious humid weather, a water leak into the airway (or some source of moisture) and typically you need to do some stop and start type driving. A day at the drags and stopping to get a drink sort of sounds like that might have been what you were doing.

You might want to try driving a while without the A/C so it can melt the ice and dry out. Of course if there is some other probele or source of moisture then this will only help temporarily.

Reaction score
Chris -
A simple way to check assuming there may be a slow leak, take a look at the sight glass atop of the drier/filter located in front of the right toe-box. Start the engine and set the AC on high and allow it to stabilize for about a two minutes. If air bubbles are present inside the sight glass (it should be clear), you have a leak. You may charge the system yourself, of course using simple common sense, without the need for a trip to the dealer.

The frosting you have experienced is most likely from the radical temperature changes.

If you need help, just let me know......
smile.gif
smile.gif

Good Luck!
Doug

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Y2KGTS:
.....chunks of stuff came flying out of the vent.......little flakes of ice came out......Chris
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The vette crowd thinks THEY have all the creature comforts, bells, and whistles......and yet We have ICE MAKERS!

Leaves you STIRRED but not shaken...........

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
It is very simple.
When LOW on refrigerant, when HOT it will boil and FREEZE your condenser coil. Thereby blowing chunks of ICE and no cold air.
The fix is to recharge the system, but also be certain there is not a leak or it will happen again.
Good luck and have a cool summer.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

Aren't Vipers supposed to spit and hiss??? HAHAHAHAH. just kidding. Anyway, I do ac and heating service for a living. Your problem is common and do not get alarmed. There is a leak in your refrigerant system somewhere. Look carefully at all flare nuts, hoses, lines,compressor seals,and under insulated lines for OIL. Where there is oil, there is a refrigerant leak. Mix up a concentrated batch of dish detergent and water and apply with a small brush to pinpoint the leak. Hopefully the leak is on a nut or clamp that you can tighten. Most leaks are on the high pressure side. The condensor coil near the radiator and inter connecting tubing. Then add R- 134A refrigerant while rev-ving the engine to 1500 to 2000 revs and charge to a clear siteglass. You are finished. Enjoy. If you have any questions, feel free to email or pm me.

Dave

Cam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL Jon. The compressor is probably not cycling off. The highside pressure switch is used for anti icing.

SNAKOIL VA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just add a shot of refrigerant. Freon is one of the few products that works better the less you have of it. Unfortunately, that theory doesn't work for air conditioners. Your coil is freezing up because the freon pressure is too low. You don't want the coil temperature so cold it causes condensation to freeze. Ice isn't as good a chiller of air as a good old refrigerant coil Ideally, you want it a few degrees above freezing.