Hey SRT/Ralph. Why are mostly Corvette cars pacing pro races?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully this will stay on subject for at least one page and Im sure the word "marketing" will come up a lot, but why is the Corvette used most of the time to pace pro races rather than other makes inc. the Viper? Yes, Mercedes for F1 but I can only remember the blue and white striped 1996 Viper GTS that paced the Indy 500 years ago. Pacing really sells cars on Monday for many viewers.:dunno:

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I know this is not what your looking for...... but i stumbled across this a bit later after reading this post

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possibly because SRT is afraid the Viper will pop a hose or break down going around the track in front of all of America ?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that kratedisease. I think SRT has a lot more faith in the car than that. Lol

As for the Viper pacing, two weeks ago at the ALMS Mosport, it did have a Viper pace car...

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ringold CDJ did provide a pace car for the NARRA event at Road Atlanta. It was a big hit with those present.

Hopefully this will stay on subject for at least one page and Im sure the word "marketing" will come up a lot, but why is the Corvette used most of the time to pace pro races rather than other makes inc. the Viper? Yes, Mercedes for F1 but I can only remember the blue and white striped 1996 Viper GTS that paced the Indy 500 years ago. Pacing really sells cars on Monday for many viewers.:dunno:

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For example, Generous Motors doesn't get millions, but pays millions of dollars to supply pace cars for the Indy 500.

It's pretty sad if you have to pay somene to use your car.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is because the Viper has too much power to drive that slow. Corvettes make better pace cars. We can't have pace cars that can outrun the racecars.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As said previously, pace cars are a profit business for the tracks. Manufacturers pay for the privilege to promote their vehicles.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possibly because SRT is afraid the Viper will pop a hose or break down going around the track in front of all of America ?
It did fine at LeMans, racing and not pacing. Maybe Gilles is afraid the horn will go off all on its own though or battery will die?:D

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For example, Generous Motors doesn't get millions, but pays millions of dollars to supply pace cars for the Indy 500.

It's pretty sad if you have to pay somene to use your car.
Is Obama Motors done paying off the bail out money?

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares really? I do not see any Ford cars pacing anything either.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares? Ahhh, the many honest and funny replies so far above should have some validation. Plus this is not a Ford Forum.
Viper is for racing, not pacing as recently demonstrated at LeMans. Get a tissue for your issue.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We took our son to see the new animated movie Turbo that's about a snail that gets to race in the Indy 500. In it there was a '13 Viper pace car.