Highway Robbery!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in Gwinett County and just received my blackmail letter from the county requiring me to pay almost $500 to register my 10 year old Dodge for a year. :omg: The car is a 98 GTS that I bought used a long time ago.

I know that the fees vary by car and by county, so my question to y'all is "Is this amount consistent with what you guys'd expect to pay in GA for 1-year registration" or has something gone haywire in the county's computer systems?
:usa:

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess living in Iowa has it's advantages..... Only $35 per year here, and that INCLUDES personal plate option.:2tu:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somethings wrong with that number! That sound like a commercial registration amount...

Sadly, that # is most likely correct. My 11 year old Viper still cost me right below $500 this year ($485 I think). When I bought the car in 2005, I think the tag cost me $550 and it was 9 years old then! GA absolutely rapes people on their car tags. I started a thread back in 05' to see what others were paying for tags...I remember it was guys in Cali paying less on 01' Vipers (4 yrs old) than I was paying on my 96'. I searched for that thread, but cant find it. I guess maybe it breaks even since property is cheaper in GA than other places.

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Georgia does not have a state tax on gasoline, so I imagine part of the high plate taxes goes towards that shortfall.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could always move a few miles south to FL, they're $35 here also. Of course you'd get nailed by property taxes and home owners insurance that are out of site ...

There are unfortunately a number of states that base tag fees on some valuation, usually theirs and with little room to contest it. The most fair ones were the old weight / age ones where the tag fees declined over time to some minimum like $15 when the car was like 10 years old. Those I'm afraid are all but gone. Unfortunately our politicians have taken it upon themselves to make the role of government "tax and spend -- more".

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sadly, that # is most likely correct. My 11 year old Viper still cost me right below $500 this year ($485 I think). When I bought the car in 2005, I think the tag cost me $550 and it was 9 years old then! GA absolutely rapes people on their car tags. I started a thread back in 05' to see what others were paying for tags...I remember it was guys in Cali paying less on 01' Vipers (4 yrs old) than I was paying on my 96'. I searched for that thread, but cant find it. I guess maybe it breaks even since property is cheaper in GA than other places.

I guess its not a mistake.....just a "wrong".

If the value of these cars drops to the 40's, then if it was all based on vehicle value 10 year old Vipers shouldn't be too much more to put plates on than new loaded Accords right?:dunno:

Wrong as it may be, it seems like just another of those wonderful Viper taxes we all are subject to from time to time. Thanks Chad....I guess I'll save my time and stress level by not trying to contest this with the county.

MQQNVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn! And I thought the $247 I am paying in Michigan for my '97 GTS was kinda steep. I'll quit whining now (at least about this!). ;)