Holy Crap Tree Sap!!! HELP!!! ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, I just got into my vehicle today and noticed I have "pine" sap ALL over my car. Atleast 10 dime-sized areas, and even more than that little specs!!!

Do you have any tips/tricks/or product recommendations for me?

Will it damage my paint if I leave it on there?

Seems like the more I rub it the worse it looks!!! It just smears all over :(

Thanks ---

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use 3M Adhesive Remover. Napa makes a version that also works well. I use it to get rid of track rubber, sap and other stuff. I immediately wash it, then claybar, wash, wax, etc. You may want to try WD40 first and alternate with clean cloths. This may be enough to get it off your car.

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used WD-40 with some success or I have also used goo-gone. If you do use goo-gone, like others said, immidiatly wash, clay bar, and wax. I know its probalby not good for the paint, but so far I have been fine. Tree sap is almost as bad as water spots.

ViperVenomSC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rubbing alcohol works great and won't harm the paint. I've used it many times. Works on stubborn bugs too.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It WILL damage paint if left on. Try goo b gone or wax and grease remover. Isophryl Alchohol will also work.

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Goof off has Xylene in it and it will remove the paint. Found out the hard way. It softened the paint on my daily driver where it actually marred it a little.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for the WD first, if that doen't work (in a shaded garage with the body cooled down), you'll have to get more aggressive with some of the other suggestions. The key is to get it off and IMMEDIATELY get the surface sealed and protected. Sap isn't a real issue here. I foam the car and it comes right off after letting the foam sit for about 5 minutes.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did a video production on how to fix this issue. So far, only 01sapphirebob has nailed part of the solution. As soon as I get the video edited and uploaded, I'll post it in this thread.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't believe how easy this is, try Crisco. Leave it on for 15 minutes and wash away. If it's been on the car for a while you may need to pick at it a bit the finger nail.

The down side, it leaves an oily spot on the car. I use degrease to get that off.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Claybar would be my suggestion.

I just did a video production on how to fix this issue. So far, only 01sapphirebob has nailed part of the solution. As soon as I get the video edited and uploaded, I'll post it in this thread.

I disagree and think that dissolving/breaking it down with WD40, Bug&TarRemover, GooGone, Ect... would be a more effective and safer way to remove.

Claybar is for tiny specs not "dime sized" items.

J.M., I look forward to seeing your video to see if you can prove me wrong though:2tu:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... J.M., I look forward to seeing your video to see if you can prove me wrong though:2tu:

Well if you think about it logically, you clay your entire car in order to remove impurities from the clear coat. That's a lot bigger than a dime! It's the clay that actually pulls anything that is not clear coat out of the clear coat. The size has nothing to do with it. Some of what you are suggesting will actually push the etching deeper or not do anything at all (except create a lot of scratches). I addressed that in my first love bug/bird dropping video. Here's part one. It's an hour long so get some popcorn. Part two is much shorter but it's still in the can right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reyykcq8ULo&list=UUvqM4p5XKdXiug656WLmuOg&index=5&feature=plcp

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try turtle wax bug, tar & tree sap remover, it works pretty good!

That's actually some of the worst advice you can give for this situation. See the first video I posted as I go into extensive detail as to why you don't want to do that or use that kind of product.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate your advice JunkMan and as always I love the thoroughness and explanations you give behind your detailing techniques. We agree to disagree on one thing I guess and that's the use of an adhesive remover such as 3M which is safe for cured automotive paints. I've been using this remover for 6 years and the paint has not been harmed, scratched or compromised by it which I suspect is an issue if the wrong procedure is followed. It's not for everyone and does require some finesse when using it. The product is not the problem, per se, but how it's used. In my case, after a track weekend my side sills are full of track rubber. I posted a pic of this somewhere on the forums. Before I apply an adhesive remover I first wash the area trying to loosen whatever is there. Then I claybar it. Wash again. For me, this ensures that when I'm applying the remover I am not rubbing/scratching contamiments into the paint. Then I apply the remover. Wash, wax and done. Also, I've found that if the paint is well maintained i.e. clean/waxed on a routine basis then it's much easier to remove contanminents without having to resort to an adhesive or bug/tar remover.

Then again, I'm not sure how many folks encounter my problem after a track weekend :D:

You must be registered for see images attach

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, we are in agreement with a product like 3M adhesive remover. That's a good product and it works when used for what it was manufactured. We also agree with a case of improper use. Some products do get a bad name because they are used incorrectly (i.e. the California Duster). For something like bird poop etching, a 3M product is not a good choice because it only removes surface contamination. That's fine if you catch the problem before the etching begins but once the etching starts, you'll need something to pull the contaminates out of the clear coat. That's what clay bar does.

So we probably agree more than we disagree but the important thing is that by discussing it, we all learn from one another. :2tu:

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree LOL. Thanks Junkman and thanks for all of the tips/information/videos you share with us! :2tu:

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had multiple cases of tree sap, bubble gum and road tar brought to me when working shows. Being at a show is probably the most difficult time to try and repair cases like these, because you have a ton of people watching, it's usually really hot out, and you have a limited time to work and produce results. This is also the best proving grounds for products and techniques due to the same circumstances. Being a carshow gypsy as well, Junkman's techniques are designed to work and work quickly. I haven't watched your videos yet, but will tonight.

The best results I've had are using a small amount of Adam's All Purpose Cleaner as lubricant/degreaser and a small piece of claybar. I start by soaking the tree sap with the APC (use as little as possible), then reapply for lubricant for the clay. I always break off a real small piece of clay, as I expect to throw it away after use. The clay will lift the impurities off the paint without marring. Make sure to check and fold your clay more often than you would during the standard clay process.

Also, remember to rinse the APC off as soon as the paint has been corrected. I use Adam's Waterless Wash as a substitute for water if I'm at a show.

Always follow up your paint correction with a good coat of wax to protect from future issues.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
attachment.php
[/ATTACH]

I just realized something. You have the same exact spot cooler that I have! Is yours still working? It looks like it is collecting dust like mine is. lol!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just realized something. You have the same exact spot cooler that I have! Is yours still working? It looks like it is collecting dust like mine is. lol!

LOL, it works nicely in this 90+ heat and humidity.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You lucky dog... I wore mine out 2 spot coolers ago. It's hard finding someone to repair the darn thing!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realize I'm late to this party, but will concur that simple rubbing alcohol emulsifies and removes tree sap. I've used it for years and keep it in those squirt bottles with the gooseneck like you'd use in a lab.

Alcohol is cheap and works. It will remove your wax or sealant...but any type of tar remover, solvent,etc will do the same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets