Holy crap...Dodge just announced great incentives to spur sales

kilr4d

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow...

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/09/dodge-announces-viper-price-cut

The new sticker is $15,000 less than the 2014 model and is about the same as the original 1992 price of $50,700, adjusted for inflation.

In addition to lower pricing on the 2015 Viper, prices on all Vipers in dealer inventory have been discounted by $15,000. Current Generation 5 Viper owners will receive a $15,000 certificate that they can use toward the purchase of a new Dodge Viper. This is in addition to the $15,000 price reduction, so a buyer could save $30,000.

You must be registered for see images attach

So what does that make a used GenV worth?????

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Holy crap...Dodge just hit the panic button on the Viper.

I'm not surprised but it would have been nice to see the Viper get better treatment that just being sold by any given Dodge dealer but I guess thats what the whole SRT attempt was about. Nice idea they just had no clue how to sucessfully implement it. It's obvious they didn't know how to market or sell the car properly through no fault of the car specifically. Well with the 800hp+ HP models coming up in 2016 something drastic had to take place to move the remaining 13/14 off lots etc and help the 15's move as well....I am curious as to their pricing on the SC models now more than ever lol....Maybe they will be priced in the 120's etc

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Larry P. Vellequette

Automotive News
September 8, 2014 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT -- Since the Viper's splashy reintroduction at the 2012 New York auto show, the two-seat sports coupe has moved fast everywhere except where it matters most: off dealer lots.
In fact, Viper sales have been so low for so long that some Chrysler Group dealers mockingly refer to the car as the "Vedsel," a reference to Ford's ill-fated Edsel.
But now Dodge has a plan to boost Viper sales.
The brand will cut $15,000 from the sticker price of the more than 600 unsold Vipers on dealer lots. It also will offer $15,000 coupons to recent Viper buyers to trade in their 2013 or 2014 Viper on another one or to buy an additional Viper, and it will open Viper sales to all Dodge dealers.
In addition, Dodge will market Viper with the rest of the brand's lineup, treating the 640-hp, V-10-powered car as a halo vehicle.
Dodge will start taking orders for 2015 Vipers this month, although it will temporarily suspend production of the top-end GTS and TA trims.
Instead, the brand will introduce a GT trim level just above the base that will have the most popular equipment sought by Viper customers, Dodge brand head Tim Kuniskis toldAutomotive News.
"I think the current car is so much better than any other Viper we've ever built, but we've got to fix the one last piece: We've got to fix the retail equation. We've got to fix what's going on in the dealership, in the showroom," Kuniskis said. "It's the dealer network, it's the inventory, it's the pricing, it's how we sell the car. We have to fix all of that

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Current Gen5 owners get a 15k coupon? How many of those want to buy another Gen 5? The information seems a bit off?

So this, combined with the amount of money Dodge is spending on VOI tells me that they want to sell these cars to make room for something awesome. If they didn't care, they wouldn't be coming to VOI (with Vipers), and they would simply let these cars sell at the pace of 10 a month for all time until they eventually ran out...

TO your question, in the short run, a used Gen 5 is probably something you don't want to consider, in the long run, it should follow the normal depreciation curve, unless it's a T/A which will be worth more eventually...

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The story is great news. Dodge is not giving up on the Viper. That should be good news to the Viper Nation.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wouldn't a "recent" buyer of a Gen V be the last person looking to get another one?
How many can want/afford two?

lawdogg149

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Now my brain is really working. Sell my Gen V. Get my $15,000 off plus $15,000 off buy a TA edition. I got $32,000 off when I bought my 2014 model srt so I should be in the good. This discount only hurts those that paid the retail or close to. Wonder what it will do to resale values though??

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Now my brain is really working. Sell my Gen V. Get my $15,000 off plus $15,000 off buy a TA edition. I got $32,000 off when I bought my 2014 model srt so I should be in the good. This discount only hurts those that paid the retail or close to. Wonder what it will do to resale values though??

I would imagine 2013's will drop significantly if you can get a 2015 for ~85k? I just did a quick search on autotrader and found 195 2013s for sale.

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not to say I told you so guys, but I told you so....;)

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you care to elaborate any more on this? Definately looking forward to the VOI13

So this, combined with the amount of money Dodge is spending on VOI tells me that they want to sell these cars to make room for something awesome. If they didn't care, they wouldn't be coming to VOI (with Vipers),

QUOTE]

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score

just because Dodge Is offering $15000 cash to dealers does not necessarily mean that this money will be the added on top of any existing deals does it?

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seems good overall. But aren't cars 40 k off without this ?

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score

As a former owner of a 2010 ACR and a prospective owner I wish I knew this a few weeks ago....with the hit I took on the depreciation of the ACR, while a great car, I didn't consider a new Viper and went with a 991 GT3 (flame suit on) instead....I think this will be good for those looking but a shot in the arm for those that have already bought......not sure how the extra 15 to current owners will help the cause as I'm sure most will have to sell their current car which is sure to take a beating on the secondary market....it will be interesting to see how this plays out

lawdogg149

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just got back from a dealer. Got a trade offer for $92,000 on my 2014 SRT with 900 miles. The car window stickered for $127,000. Not to bad of a trade in offer. Hope this holds

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Man, this forum.

Dodge shows love for Viper owners. Takes definitive action to push inventory and ensure the future of the viper. Retro's the new pricing to current inventory and takes care of, as best they can, the early adopters who bought in early, for future purchases. Describes it's putting the Viper back on the halo pedestal and will incorporate it back into full Dodge marketing efforts, clearly talks about the future with reference to 2016 and 2018. All on the heels of the aftermarket tuning ability coming out and the myriad Mopar rumors for the viper.

And we get this thread on the VCA forum and this title. Other areas of the viper internet are rejoicing. I can't believe this is where we've gone as a group here, after 15 yrs on here, gotta say I'm Dave's complete sense of ***. (a fight club reference for ya)

Any who, I'm going to spend my time on the internet shopping for a gen5 now.

Thank you Dodge!

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I honestly disregarded the title Dman, it is good news, and knowing the other details I know (that Dodge has told us not to tell, and yes I hate to be that guy, but the details are coming this week, promise), we have much to rejoice over.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you change the title? If so, it would seem appropriate to do so. This press release indicates the Viper is going to live on and that is great news for the Viper Nation. That is what we should be emphacizing. Dodge managment and marketing is clearly now on the right track.

This is exciting stuff.

ViperDC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, this forum.

Dodge shows love for Viper owners. Takes definitive action to push inventory and ensure the future of the viper. Retro's the new pricing to current inventory and takes care of, as best they can, the early adopters who bought in early, for future purchases. Describes it's putting the Viper back on the halo pedestal and will incorporate it back into full Dodge marketing efforts, clearly talks about the future with reference to 2016 and 2018. All on the heels of the aftermarket tuning ability coming out and the myriad Mopar rumors for the viper.

And we get this thread on the VCA forum and this title. Other areas of the viper internet are rejoicing. I can't believe this is where we've gone as a group here, after 15 yrs on here, gotta say I'm Dave's complete sense of ***. (a fight club reference for ya)

Any who, I'm going to spend my time on the internet shopping for a gen5 now.

Thank you Dodge!

Perfectly stated!

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Trade in on a '13 is going to be 60K, if you can find a dealer to accept one in trade.
Jesus that's awful for owners.

This great news comes out and youre still finding a way to spin it negatively. Cant say im surprised...
It's great news for those who were on the fence about going for a G5.
However, ViperJon is right about trade-in values.
It's pure economics (just as Dodge's price reduction is).

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So this, combined with the amount of money Dodge is spending on VOI tells me that they want to sell these cars to make room for something awesome.

First thing I thought of too.

DDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score

just because Dodge Is offering $15000 cash to dealers does not necessarily mean that this money will be the added on top of any existing deals does it?

Once again, the journalists screw up the story. The press release on the company intranet said all Vipers on lots will get new Monroney (MSRP) stickers. How Chrysler pays the dealers back, I don't know.

Also, I don't know if it was said in any articles but ALL dealers, not just the one's that paid out $25k for the privilege to sell the Viper, can now sell Vipers, too.

DDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am curious as to their pricing on the SC models now more than ever lol....Maybe they will be priced in the 120's etc

Me too. I think this may be the better answer to two Viper models. The Track Lite or The Street Bite.

Finally saw a pic of the TA 2.0, too. I think that the TA name is replacing the ACR name. I has a huge wing now, it's on driveSRT dot com.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As a former owner of a 2010 ACR and a prospective owner I wish I knew this a few weeks ago....with the hit I took on the depreciation of the ACR, while a great car, I didn't consider a new Viper and went with a 991 GT3 (flame suit on) instead....I think this will be good for those looking but a shot in the arm for those that have already bought......not sure how the extra 15 to current owners will help the cause as I'm sure most will have to sell their current car which is sure to take a beating on the secondary market....it will be interesting to see how this plays out

Although the GT3 is not as fast, that is one awesome car. Plus it is a much better build than the Viper. I just drove a '13 for the first time a few weeks ago; and I am not sure if I just had really high expectations or what, but although fast, every other aspect about the car was un-impressive. SRT had all this hype about how the car is much better than previous versions and how they were going after other luxury car brands, yet the car is still the same quality car they have always been building. Yes there are some nicer seats, updated electronics, and nicer leather, but aside from that, the car still drove like my RT/10 for the most part. Being a previous viper owner I really wanted to love the car but I was just disappointed. I have spent this whole summer trying to find my new toy and I have driven just about everything under $200,000. Other cars in this price point; even though they don't have 640HP, are still viable contenders; because after all with 640HP, there is only so much I can put to the ground. So I settled on a Porsche 997.2 Turbo S. The Audi R8 V10 & Jaguar F Type V8S were also notable favorites in my decision. Both of them are probably coming in the near future as well. Such great cars that delivered so much more than the Viper in terms of quality; and all were FAST!

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they changed the MSRP to reflect the market for what Vipers are selling for now. Not really big news. IMO

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, I don't know if it was said in any articles but ALL dealers, not just the one's that paid out $25k for the privilege to sell the Viper, can now sell Vipers, too.
Probably will be some shuttling of 2013-4 cars to dealers who didn't sell them to begin with.

I think they changed the MSRP to reflect the market for what Vipers are selling for now.
And to eliminate the showroom sticker shock of a 6 figure Dodge.;)

nspec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This was extremely inconsiderate of dodge to do. Especially for us that bought the genV preowned.

Now the market will get flooded with used vipers and prices will drop on their face. I bought mine with the intentions of enjoying it for a couple of months and now i will have to take a $10k hit? The only way for dodge to make this right is by refunding a fair amount of money for every genV out there, even to the dealerships that bought them used to resell.

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/desperate-dodge-slashes-viper-price?icid=autos_6031
This was extremely inconsiderate of dodge to do. Especially for us that bought the genV preowned.

Now the market will get flooded with used vipers and prices will drop on their face. I bought mine with the intentions of enjoying it for a couple of months and now i will have to take a $10k hit? The only way for dodge to make this right is by refunding a fair amount of money for every genV out there, even to the dealerships that bought them used to resell.

nspec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
doesnt do justice for people that paid market value for them and bought preowned.

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want Value, do not buy a Car, worst value for the $$$ Buy Gold NOW. If you like the Car, like me, It doesn't matter. Best car on the Docket!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper