Hood Pads for Gen I/II?

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search and I did not find any info on Gen I/II Hood Pads. Does anybody have a pic of their Gen I/II hood pad if there is such a thing? Where to purchase?

Craig,

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still available from Chrysler or Viper Parts of America. I think the first year for the full "blanket" was 1995. There's only 1 part number for all those years now. I know the one on my '96 RT is the same as the one on my '00 GTS.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper parts of america, I think they are about $130 but shipping is up there though as they are in a very large box

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search and I did not find any info on Gen I/II Hood Pads. Does anybody have a pic of their Gen I/II hood pad if there is such a thing? Where to purchase?

Craig,

Keep searching, and even look at the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this thread. I found a lot of info a few months back when I bought mine. I just finished painting it and will get it installed soon. I'll post some pictures of it after I install it. BTW, my 94 didn't have the mounting holes pre-drilled. I'll have to remove the hood and drill the holes.

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sfm79, you gonna put a sneaky pete on it?

Yes, I still have to touch up a few spots, but it's ready to be installed.

IMG_03401.JPG

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice work. I like the green eye.
I'm jealous now :)
I think if I do it I'll probably reverse the paint scheme ... green snake with red eye on mine.

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sfm79..on my pads the sneaky pete is embossed on the pad...but not the Viper text. I guess you added the Viper word?

Yes I did at the Viper text. I thought it looked too plain up on top.

I should have it installed tomorrow.

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yours is sweet Dave, I had seen your pictures in earlier threads and liked the idea of the Viper text.

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the hood pad yesterday with the help of fellow member Rapps. We had to remove the hood and drill the mounting holes.

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a used one you can buy off a 98 GTS.......On your way to Florida in a couple of months, if you travel thru Pensacola, FL, you can stop at my house and pick it up...If your are with your Viper, we can put it on here........I will take $75.00 for it.......(just in case you are interested)... :eater: :drive:

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Craig,

The Gen 1 hood pads will need to be modified on the upper right side in order to fit on a 94 and 95. Not sure about 92 and 93, but I would bet they are the same.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How do you paint the spots if it is just the black fabric?

On mine I made a stencil for the lettering. I copied the letters from an online source so they would exactly match the style and aspect ratio of other "VIPER" words on the car. Then I did a bit of Photoshop enlarging, printed it all out and made the stencil.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet, how do you get that paint to stay on in such a high heat area? Is special paint required or some special steps?

Multiple coats of high heat brush-on paint. The black was high heat paint and the red was an even higher heat resistance caliper paint. You can also use a base primer and less coats of paint, but the first few coats will be absorbed into the fabric.

RoadiJef - I did see your pad before I did mine and loved the "Viper" text in the top section. I had to copy it. I tried to use a template and red spray-on caliper paint but I ended up getting over/under spray under the template. Another problem I had was the red spray paint was a different shade of red than the brush-on that I used on the snake. I then made a bigger template for the black background and hand painter the "Viper" text in red.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet, how do you get that paint to stay on in such a high heat area? Is special paint required or some special steps?

I used standard Rustoleum from the hardware store. This was based on taking measurements of the hood pad and engine components with my IR thermometer, and also contacting Rustoleum for the recommended temp range on their product.

The conclusions were, that the hood pad does not get that hot, and the upper temp limit of regular - not high heat - paint, is more than adequate.

My hood pad in the pics in this thread, years later, still looks as good as the day I did it.

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used standard Rustoleum from the hardware store. This was based on taking measurements of the hood pad and engine components with my IR thermometer, and also contacting Rustoleum for the recommended temp range on their product.

The conclusions were, that the hood pad does not get that hot, and the upper temp limit of regular - not high heat - paint, is more than adequate.

My hood pad in the pics in this thread, years later, still looks as good as the day I did it.

You are right Dave, I used black spray on caliper paint on the snake, but used brush on Rustoleum for the black in the upper section.
I've always wondered how the white on yours has help up. Glad to hear it looks great.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys, I am on the last 10% on this project, though it has taken me a while. Anyways, i got the viper emblem painted all nice nice red and white. Got the Viper GTS font all cut out and taped down...I painted it and it all took nicely except for the left portion of the V. It just absorbs all the red and goes back to black like before. This is completely messed and frustrating. Does anyone have any idea of why it would do this and some sort of solution?