HorsepowerFreaks Feramic Clutch

Chris B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need two testers for our new Viper Feramic Clutch. This clutch is for Vipers that have between 700ft-lbs and 1,100 ft-lbs of torque. The Feramic material is a brand new compound which has a higher melting point and coefficient of friction of any other clutch disk on the market today. The melting point is 1400 degrees with a 0.7 coefficient of friction. The HorsepowerFreaks pressure plate which comes with the kit has a staggering 3799 lb clamp load. This combination of clamp load with disk material provides an unbelievable amount of power handling with butter like shifting. These clutches are incredibly streetable. They will not fuse to your flywheel and hold more power than any other single disk material available today.

I'm going to roll these out slowly like I do with our other clutch lines. I will sell these kits below my cost to the first 2 Viper owners that sign up. Once these testers have given the clutches a complete break-in and have drag raced several times, I will release them to the general public.

These are the requirements....
1) Must have over 800ft-lbs of torque
2) Must do a full 500 mile break-in
3) Must drag race
4) Must use a line-lock in the burn-out box.
5) Must use the RPS segmented flywheel (which I will also provide below our cost)

We sell this same material to the highest HP drag racing Supras. Here's a link to the results of our Supra Feramic clutch...
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=197253&highlight=horsepowerfreaks

This is not the first clutch we've released. We've been selling a different "bronze" clutch for some time that has very similar attributes. I will probably roll out a similar "bronze" version for the Viper with these buttons as well. It won't hold quite as much power as the Feramic but would be a great alternative for those Vipers between 600 ft-lbs and 900ft-lbs. Here's a link to those results....
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114551

Here's a picture of the HPF Viper Feramic kit.

You must be registered for see images

If anyone is frustrated with their current clutch which is either slipping or is too grabby shoot me an email at [email protected]. We'll take the first two Vipers that meet the requirements above that are willing to use this clutch and post their results on this forum.

Take care,
Chris.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
after what i went through being an RPS ginnie pig you couldnt give me anything from RPS!

OP
OP
C

Chris B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
after what i went through being an RPS ginnie pig you couldnt give me anything from RPS!

Well, fortunately for us, RPS doesn't sell a Feramic clutch. RPS will typically warranty any problems you may have with whatever clutch you tried from them. Of course I don't know what your paticular scenario involved so I don't know if they will do that in your case. I saw your post on the other thread and hope that they will compensate you somehow.

We have some pretty solid results with this clutch in other cars and know that the Feramic material has also been used in a 950ft-lb Viper. Our goal is to provide a competitively priced single disk clutch that can be used on the street for the Viper just like the ones we've created for our other customers.

For many cars there aren't single disk options that can hold the power, last a long time, and can be used at the track without fusing or "melting" the pucks to the flywheel. "Feramic" is proving to be the answer to that dilemma.

Take care,
Chris.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,
I wouldn't purchase anything that has to do with RPS! I don't mean to flame you but I don't care to support parts that come from ripping off other people. I'm out thousands of dollars because of RPS.

Maybe you shouldn't mention RPS and just sell the clutches under your own brand name.
I know of other people that don't want to do business with them either. Good luck with the new clutches though. I am interested in the AEM system when it becomes tried and true.

-Lou

OP
OP
C

Chris B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris,
I wouldn't purchase anything that has to do with RPS! I don't mean to flame you but I don't care to support parts that come from ripping off other people. I'm out thousands of dollars because of RPS.

Maybe you shouldn't mention RPS and just sell the clutches under your own brand name.
I know of other people that don't want to do business with them either. Good luck with the new clutches though. I am interested in the AEM system when it becomes tried and true.

-Lou

Lou,

I thought about this after my original post. I actually prefer people run the stock flywheel with our clutch as the stock flwyheel dissipates heat WAY better and is not prone to warping. I don't let any other cars run lightweight flywheels with our clutch during the preliminary phases as we've found their surfaces to get way too hot. I will amend my requirements.

I've replied to the people that have emailed and PM'd me. If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know.

Thanks.
Chris.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
C

Chris B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am unable to edit my original post. Please disregard Requirement #5 It should really say, "#5) You cannot use a Fidanza flywheel". I have spoken with some Viper owners that have been running with the Fidanza flywheel without issues. The stock clutch disk is less prone to be adversely affected by this heat than metallic, kevlar, ceramic and feramic disks are. We've had major problems (with other clutches) with the Fidanza flywheel causing disks to seize when launched at the drag strip in cars with over 800rwhp. Some of them seized in the burn-out box which is why I recommend a line-lock if you're going to do burnouts. We've never had a Feramic clutch disk fuse but we haven't let anyone run a lightened flywheel with it. I want to take no chances with our first go around so everybody can have similar positive results that we've had in other cars.

Take care,
Chris.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=417403&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post417596

For you guys thinking about RPS, 96 rt/10 while I know your already slow, and of no real threat to me, having you go even slower, becasue of a clutch that doesnt work, doesnt benefit anyone, check that thread. Doesnt seem RPS is a great idea.

Jon

Thanks for the link Goober, but unless I am mistaken, this is not a RPS product. Chris was suggesting the use of RPS's flywheel. He has since backed off that requirement, and even with a bad clutch, I would wipe the snot off your funky looking face. :eek:

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

May I ask...Do you manufacture your own clutches or farm them out? Thanks for your response.

-Lou

OP
OP
C

Chris B

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris,

May I ask...Do you manufacture your own clutches or farm them out? Thanks for your response.

-Lou

Lou... We do not manufacturer the "HorsepowerFreaks" clutches. We leave that up to the experts. We determine which materials to use, clutch disk thicknesses and often test various pressure plates with the clutch to determine optimal performance. We also have them vary the clamp load on pressure plates to determine optimal pedal feel against power holding capacity. Then we have them built for us and our customers. The clutch posted on this thread was destined for my Viper but we've been swamped here and haven't had time to begin development of our single and twin turbo kits yet so there's no point putting it in the car.

This material has proven to be the best single disk combination for the Supras and now I want to see how it fares in the Viper. I see no reason for it to be any different. That will be seen soon. :)

Take care,
Chris.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets