HOW FAST CAN YOU GO AND STILL SPIN YOUR STOCK TIRES?

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have spoke to a person who mentioned he could drop into rithe right gear, brace himself, slam the accelerator pedal and spin his wheels on his Viper on the freeway while doing well over 100 MPH without clutching it.

I'm curious to find out those of you with mass power, how fast you have been going, put your foot down, and spun the wheels?

Those of you that have these 750 and 850 RWHP supercharged cars, how fast do you need to be going before you can no longer spin your wheels in any gear?

Let's assume that the cars are on stock Mich tires.

Manny

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot depends on how old your tires are. When mine got old they spun with hardly any acceleration. Miles don't seem to really matter. Time is what ails them. What I have found to be the greatest thing about the supercharger is you can roll on the throttle and get the tires to hook :2tu:
Nothing wrong with making tires spin at 100mph :D

Cheers,
Chuck

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4th gear at 116-118 MPH is pretty safe to not spin the tires. It all depends on how well your car is set up with corner weighting and alignment to handle when the tires spin. My car being 2" lower with full roll cage, double adjustable shocks with heavier springs, corner weighting and alignment is very balanced and stable. Usually the only time I know my tires have spun is when I hit the rev limiter. I certainly cannot hear the tires breaking loose!

The more important thing to consider here is that with this kind of power, you need to pay a lot more attention to the road surface....... Specifically to the ruts made by the trucks.

I make it a practice not to go all out unless:

1. I am familiar with that road/closed course.

2. I have already checked it out a few minutes before for debris/etc...

3. It is clear enough to F'ing roll.

P.S. Of course, on the street, you do not want to floor it going around a corner or curve at any great rate of speed.

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had mine spin at 100. No clutch just pushing a bunch of power to the tires. As the rpms climb so does the power on a centrifugal blower car. Don't like that feeling at that speed.

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at two options. One being keep the motor NA and going with ported and polished heads, 1.7 rockers, hotter cam, larger throttle bodies, corsa exhaust and such. The other option I am considering is a supercharger and the necessary upgrades for this. I don't want to lose handling capabilities because of too much power from the blower that's why I was thinking of keeping it NA. If i'm not mistaken, the supercharger is more horsepower for the money than the other upgrades. I'm not looking for straight line performance only. I would also like to mash the pedal in 1st gear and not light up the tires. Will the supercharger give it too much power for stock tires? What do you guys recommend? Also, if I did go with the supercharger, what other mods would be necessary?

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would also like to mash the pedal in 1st gear and not light up the tires. Will the supercharger give it too much power for stock tires? What do you guys recommend? Also, if I did go with the supercharger, what other mods would be necessary?

A stock viper with brand new tires will light up the tires in 1st gear if you mash it -- no upgrades needed.

Manny

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at two options. One being keep the motor NA and going with ported and polished heads, 1.7 rockers, hotter cam, larger throttle bodies, corsa exhaust and such. The other option I am considering is a supercharger and the necessary upgrades for this. I don't want to lose handling capabilities because of too much power from the blower that's why I was thinking of keeping it NA. If i'm not mistaken, the supercharger is more horsepower for the money than the other upgrades. I'm not looking for straight line performance only. I would also like to mash the pedal in 1st gear and not light up the tires. Will the supercharger give it too much power for stock tires? What do you guys recommend? Also, if I did go with the supercharger, what other mods would be necessary?

Sounds like you need a Miata!

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would also like to mash the pedal in 1st gear and not light up the tires. Will the supercharger give it too much power for stock tires? What do you guys recommend? Also, if I did go with the supercharger, what other mods would be necessary?

A stock viper with brand new tires will light up the tires in 1st gear if you mash it -- no upgrades needed.

Manny

Guess I got a slow Final Edition then...mine just hooks and flies...

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. Even my Z06 will spin its tires in 1st gear from a roll in 1st gear just from mashing the pedal. You're kidding, right?

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope...not kidding at all.

My other cars will...the Lightning and the SS light em up no matter what speed you're doing in 1st (older tires, better gearing) but my Viper will not do it. The Pilots have 1700 miles on em...pretty dang new still and grip like mad. Gotta love the stock rear end. :)

If it's very very cold out, mashing 1st will result in a touch of spin. But for the most part she just grabs and launches HARD...which is just fine with me.

I had a CD half in/half out of the player one day while driving back from lunch and did a 2,500K 1st gear nail and the disc actually FIRED OUT of the dash and smashed into the back window with such force that my wife and I thought that the back window had been shot at!

If I'm spinnin, I'm wasting time...even if it's fun. I kinda like that I'm not spinnin' :)

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be those warm roads Nexus ;) from a slow roll I have the same problem in the hot summer days :rolleyes: lol

S

sachin

Well when I had an 01 Rt/10 in regular weather the car wouldnt spin if you went WOT in first. Cold weather the thing would spin pretty good, would go over 1.5 lanes if you shifted hard in the cold! On the other hand, in warm weather the 01 z06 i had would spin all over the place, tires were new but still sucked. Viper = Hook and Go Z06 = Spin all day while viper runs away

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my cell phone cliped ( belt clip ) to the CD holder on the ceiling of the inside of my dad's R/T, did something similar to your CD experiance, shot down and wacked the glove box, scared the crap out of my lady friend. :2tu:

...and I wonder why my phone works like crap anymore. :rolleyes: ..hehe..

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My old R/t has 3.55 and Kuhmos. Bone stock engine.
I'm on the edge of traction at WOT from a slow roll. Sometimes it breaks more often not.
It will sometimes break traction at the 1-2 shift.

I don't think it's a foolproof car in this respect. One can very easily do a quick loop or fishtail at fairly high speed due to loss of traction at WOT.

C'omon guys, how many people have we heard from who lost it just this way?

Anyone looking to mod the engine and not cause loss of traction, should select the, "remove two plug wires" mod.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My V1 is hooked on my driver visor, and hard launches will cause it to launch off the visor, can be quite annoying! :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth