How long do Pilot Sports last on track?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard about 13 heat cycles before performance dramatically fades. Is that accurate? Do you need two sets of tires for a Viper Days weekend to keep up performance thru last run?

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key is to have two sets of tires. Run one set all the time. Then the second day on the first session (air temp the coolest for extra HP)put the fresh tires on and lay down that haymaker lap. After that session put the old tires back on and cruise around, place the tires taken off in the trailer for the next event. If you have rung out all the car can give, this is the only way to squeak out a lower time. The temps and track will get warmer and greasier as the day progresses and the times will increase. If you find yourself going faster as the day continues your not even close to what the car can do.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only change I'd say is depends on temp. As at Willow this last weekend, the 2nd session was the fastest. 1st one was to cold...there was ice on the cars in the AM.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Brian Monprode (the Michelin Rep) at Viper Days, Pilot Sports start to loose their performance after 4-5 heat cycles. The best thing is too run one seesion on new tires and let them sit over night, this will help them last longer (6-7 heat cycles). I am not saying they are junk after 6-7 cycles but they do start going away. Last season (at ****** Run Viper Days event)I had about 20+ heat cycles on a set of P.S. and put a new set on Saturday afternoon, then ran them sunday morning and the difference between the old set and the new "seasoned" set was unbeleiveable. I mean racers have always talked about the difference between new Hooziers and old ones. After that I BELEIVE, I was even lucky enough to take first place in the Modified class at that event. My first 1st place in three years, so yes new tires make a difference.

"13 heat cycles" you are just practicing, you will not be able to get really good times with tires that are that "old".