How Long until sideeills yellow?

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not a question of if but when will the side seals yellow. I just bought an 2000 and it only has 1400 miles and I have to have them repainted under the factory warranty already. Make sure if you are still under the 3 year factory warranty that you have that done if they are yellowing. As far as I know, the Maxcare warrantly will NOT cover this. If you do not want it to happen again you need to use high flow cats.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">What colors yellow, or do they all to some degree?</FONT f>

OP
OP
U

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen white and silver, and my car, steel grey have the yellowing occur. I haven't heard from anyone that has graphite say they have yellowing yet. All the blue and red vipers I have looked at didn't seem to have the yellowing occur, at least to the degree that it happens on the previously listed colors.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old thread I thought I would revive.
Doing a little research on side sill and high flow cats.

My Blue car is yellowing, and is easily noticed.
I'm catching in the bud, ripped off my exhaust end to end today.

My solution is to ceramic coat the headers back to the muffler, and everything inbetween. VHT 1500 the inside of the sills.

Dropping the side sill insulation, it appears useless, and the cause of most of the problems, it falling off and burning from laying on the cats. Both sides of my 97 were laying on the cats, not good.

I wouldn't recommend leaving out the insulation on stock cats, or high flows that are not coated, but in combination with the VHT on the sills, I'll see what happens.

Definite engineering flaw.

S

SUN RA KAT

I've always had my side sills yellow.

You must be registered for see images

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of having mine sprayed under warranty, ready for collection this week, the sills were discoloured when I had the car having covered 5,000 miles. The shield was off on one side and i removed the other as it was hanging on, whats the best glue ? to put them back with ? Cats have also been changed.

2002graphiteviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a graphite - and no yellowing...

I left it stock for the first 3,000 miles or so. Then went to straight pipe - finally ended up putting a racing muffler in each sill...

I did notice about a month after i got it - that those stock cats are like furnaces... All of the foil was charred black - so that cat retains massive amounts of heat... Remove it!

I can literally put, and keep, my hand on the side sill after long driving... It is warm - but it is not scortching hot like when I had that stock 25lb cat stuck in there...

Punt the cat and the resonator - save probably 30 pounds...