How many Have Totalled a Viper..

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to know typically how much damage causes the car to be totalled.. ?

Have seen a few threads in the past on people who seemed to have minor fender benders or a run into a ditch causing the car to be written off..

I am getting increasingly paranoid now..
frown.gif
frown.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The avrage accident in a Viper results in ~~$26,500 repair bill, the highest average ever recorded, and DOUBLE the cost of #2, a Ferrari.

Your insurance agent will tell you what constitutes a "total" and remember that "diminished value" complaints and appeals have caused Vipers to be totalled that were clearly repairable.......

We just bought one (in Fla) that was a result of a dimished value claim

OP
OP
A

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon.

What is a Diminished value claim..
Where can I get more information on this..
frown.gif
frown.gif

Thanks..
Afy
Paranoid In Boston.. ;)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Insurance has an obligation to return your car to its pre-crash condition and value. Crashed and repaired Vipers are worth less than non-crashed Vipers, even with a 1st-class repair......
The difference is 'dimished value'........a legal-weasel-word.

I have helped several members (via VCA prez's deposition) recover $5000+ on diminshed value insurance settlements.

When you add actual damage cost to diminished value, the result can TOTAL a car that would not otherwise be totalled.

OP
OP
A

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had better not have an accident..
smile.gif

I bet the insurance would sky rocket after a totalled car on the records..
frown.gif

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
Afy,
Are you STILL scared of your car?? hehe
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently..... Just needs more seat time, not garage time.

OP
OP
A

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nolonger scared of the car.. just a very healthy respect.
smile.gif

I am just paranoid about someone hitting me, or loosing control or doing something stupid. It is a work of art, and I dont want to destroy it.

Also people have been telling me that most of these cars are wrecked.. very quickly.. and that isnt helping either..
frown.gif

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
afy,
i am also very paranoid of wrecking my new car!!
all i can say is very easy on the clutch and gas when taking off.
i now have 2000 wonderful miles but i have gone sideways with too much gas!! and have almost spun out taking a right hand turn alittle to fast (50mph) so for the first few thousand miles just go easy and get the "feel". I every day count my blessings that i havent wrecked her just learning how to drive her!!!!
smile.gif

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totaled my 96 GTS on the cork screw at Laguna Seca in Monterey California. I still don't like tracks with concrete walls. 3 broken ribs and a hip injury.

OP
OP
A

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do drive the car quite a bit.. I just paranoid about it..
smile.gif

BTW Congrats on the Viper.. are you going to keep the Vette..

OP
OP
A

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey venom2K glad you made it out fine..

When did this happen? Did your Insurance rates go through the roof.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venom 2K:
I totaled my 96 GTS on the cork screw at Laguna Seca in Monterey California. I still don't like tracks with concrete walls. 3 broken ribs and a hip injury.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Note: If I recall correctly, Jerry was wearing only a factory seatbelt. I have always felt that the OEm belts were good for up to 70 mph.

Remember: Hitting the wall at 70 mph is 4X as hard as 35 mph. Hitting the wall at 140mph is 4X as hard as hitting at 70mph (V2/V1 squared.)

Doing track events? HELMET + HARNESS for ALL OCCUPANTS

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry,

You got insurance coverage on a race track? I assume it was a "driving school" and not a competitive event. You were very luck to get the claim paid at all...

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John is right about the seat belts. I will not go on a track without 5 point belts again. It's been over a year since the wall and my Viper became one. My ribs took about 4 months to feel 100%. My hip is just now feeling better.

As for the insurance... they informed me after they paid off the claim on my totaled Viper that they were no longer covering Vipers and I needed to get insurance with another carrier for my new ride. This was not true because I know there are members online here that are insured with the same company today. I was able to insure all of my cars for less than I was paying the last carrier. The only problem is the new policy stated I could not go on a race track. I wonder if they added anything to the other Viper owners policies regarding being on a track?

OP
OP
A

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom2K you are a very lucky man.
smile.gif
smile.gif

I cant get over you paying less now..
smile.gif
smile.gif

Do you have any pics of the wreck? Did you pass out? Or did you walk away from it.

JonB you seem to be The Person for information on all sorts of things.. your depth and breadth of knowledge never cease to amaze me.
smile.gif
smile.gif

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was not a competitive event. We were driving at speed though. The insurance company had to pay out because it did not exclude driving the car on a race track. Didn't pass out- I was ok except for a real soar side and hip area. I actually drove the car off the track to the paddock area. Rear wheel bent in from hitting the wall. The front was knocked in a bit also. The car didn't look totaled. No pictures worth looking at. The biggest problem was the frame was damaged extensively.

I was lucky they paid out. Everyone said "drive it off the track and park it by a tree and say you slid off the road." Not a good idea. Told the truth and they paid off. Only problem is you only get to use this once. My new coverage states "no race track driving."

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom 2k,
my insurance company told me that if i take it to a track event
i have to call my agent first and he will note what days i will be on the track and so long as i am not racing ( against the clock, or others) i am covered!!!!
and it is a very large well known company....
hope this helps...

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate insurance , My premium was too high because of two tickets . I now only have liability and uninsured motorist, I figure that if I wreck it I can fix it, in other words I am self insured. Insurance is a gamble , your ins. co. is betting that you won't wreck and you are betting that you will. I bought my Viper after it was crashed and fixed and stole it, so i can afford to self insure it M.R.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62