how much oil should my viper use?

06blackviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 2006 viper now has 4600 miles on it. the last oil change was @
3300 miles 9 months ago. when i checked it today is was slightly above the add oil mark. can anybody tell me if this is normal for this motor. i know the dealers say it is but does anybody know for sure?
i am using the factory recommended oil and there are no drips on the ground and no smoke out the side pipes.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been told from a few different tuner/techs - around 1qt every 1000 miles.

Thats is industry standard and starting to show up in alot of new car manuals. So many people are unaware that car can burn/use oil in between servicing.

If I drive my Viper hard, which I usually do, I end up adding a quart every thousand mile or so.

OP
OP

06blackviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i guess this means I'm not driving hard enough:mad:
i just don't know how much more i push this car and burn all the gas and rubber off any faster than i am,
without wrecking this machine. but ill sure try! I'm at 1300 miles a quart, I'm going to try for 1000 miles:usa: :2tu: per quart next change:drive:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i guess this means I'm not driving hard enough:mad:
i just don't know how much more i push this car and burn all the gas and rubber off any faster than i am,
without wrecking this machine. but ill sure try! I'm at 1300 miles a quart, I'm going to try for 1000 miles:usa: :2tu: per quart next change:drive:

Hahahahaha. :lmao: I'll see your 1000 miles and challenge you to 900 miles. :D

Eldon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Matt, I'll see if I can use a quart tomorrow when going to Saratoga from Redding
for the Norcal Viper Club PCH cruise and lunch on Saturday. Hopefully Verla and I
will see you and Karen there also. I believe we joined the Norcal Viper Club at the
same time in Feb.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
In the future, I would suggest that you check your oil level immediately after you have it changed...say, 2 days in a row to be SURE about your baseline oil level.

I have seen more than one Viper (along with many other types of cars) underfilled by a quart (or more) when checked a day or two after a dealer oil change.

OP
OP

06blackviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up! im going to hit 11 this time . if i have to put in a extra quart in within a thaousand miles big deal, it certinly wont break us. these cars rock.....every time i get in this thing it rocks my world! MY WIFE JUST DOES NOT GET IT........

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Good advice. No sure where the oil goes (or what's going on), but I've found that even though the oil level shows full right after an oil change, it's almost always a bit low in a day or two.

My new coupe goes about 1700 before using a quart. Guess I need to drive it harder!

Dan:dunno:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has been very good for oil use. No pcv pullover. I generally have not had to add between oil changes. Around 3000 to 4000 miles.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
That's very good indeed.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you talk to Mark at Woodhouse, I am pretty sure he will tell you that the gen III cars hold 11 quarts, maybe we can get him to chime in

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62