How to Launch A Viper

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been drag racing a very high Hp AWD for the last 10 years and this is my first RWD. On my AWD I would stand on the gas on the two step then slip the clutch out of the hole. What is the best method for a Viper on street tires or ET streets. Thanks Ron

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on how much hp, and tire you are running! The better the tire, the higher rpm you can leave with!

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually slip the clutch and squeeze the gas. Good luck, 600rwhp is lots of fun :D
When you say sqeeze the gas do you sqeeze as your release the clutch or once the clutch is already released and the cars moving. What kind of rpm are people on street tires like Invo's ussing as there target launch rpm?

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say sqeeze the gas do you sqeeze as your release the clutch or once the clutch is already released and the cars moving. What kind of rpm are people on street tires like Invo's ussing as there target launch rpm?

Sorry for the late reply.. I squeeze the gas as I'm releasing the clutch! On true street tires with normal tire pressure the highest I can go is 2000 rpms, on drag radials or et streets you can easily double that rpm! It takes a boat load of practice to launch these cars, but that's what empty parking lots are good for ;)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also depends a bit onyour gear ratio, how old the evo's are, the condition of the track, the altitude of the track.

Do not go through the water gutter. Use burnout to gauge traction and clean off tires. Be sure air conditioning has been off for a while so condensation dripping does not wet your tires.

When you are ready to go, raise the rpm's to about 1.5- 2k, Add throttle to maintain RPM as youbegin to release the clutch. Gauge how you are hooking up and release the clutch as traction allows. You might need to feather the gas if your tires do not hold.

Keep the steering wheel dead straight when you shift into second. Give it as much throttle as the tires will hold. If you hook in second...down the track you go.

Last edited:

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive around water box -> back into water box -> slowly spin tires to wet circumference (don't want water on wheel well) -> drive out of water box -> gear box in 2nd gear, right foot on brake/gas (yes, heel/toe), rpm at 4k -> side step clutch -> apply some braking with toes whilst heel controls throttle (50-100% as needed)

High speed "70-80mph equivalent" burn-out will warm up the tires nicely in no time. Spend 2-3 seconds for street tires, maybe 5-8 for drag radials. Make sure car doesn't come side ways on you and correct steering a bit if needed. When content, clutch-in immediately and roll car to stage.

As for launching, surface prep and tire dictate launch RPM. Start with a lower RPM launch (2k), and slip clutch out (do not side step) while increasing throttle. Try different combination of less RPM and higher throttle, or high RPM and lower throttle.....all while considering a well controlled clutch slippage.

It all happens very fast. It becomes easier after doing this 10s of times. Ohh, always let off if you feel any wheel hoping.

My $.02

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62