How to tell what half-shaft I have

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the car yesterday finishing my exhaust. Anyway I looked at the half shafts and one was a nicely slick black one and the other was kind of rusty brown. I am guessing both of them are stock, but it is odd that one is so different than the other. I didnt see any sticker on the nice black one. Is there a way to tell what half-shaft is from what company?

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just pulled both of my half shafts out this evening to change the u-joints. They look identical. They compress nicely with no binding. Only curiosity is, They both seem to have a rotational degree or two between the upper and lower section. It is minimal but if you hold the top with one hand and the bottom with the other they definately rotate a very small amount. Do yours do this? Mine are both kinda brown with a manufacturers sticker on them.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just pulled both of my half shafts out this evening to change the u-joints. They look identical. They compress nicely with no binding. Only curiosity is, They both seem to have a rotational degree or two between the upper and lower section. It is minimal but if you hold the top with one hand and the bottom with the other they definately rotate a very small amount. Do yours do this? Mine are both kinda brown with a manufacturers sticker on them.
I have no idea what you meant before you said "Do yours do this?" hahha

Anyways, i didnt see any manufacturer stickers on either of them. The color difference leads me to believe that one is newer than the other

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the car yesterday finishing my exhaust. Anyway I looked at the half shafts and one was a nicely slick black one and the other was kind of rusty brown. I am guessing both of them are stock, but it is odd that one is so different than the other. I didnt see any sticker on the nice black one. Is there a way to tell what half-shaft is from what company?

My 98 GTS looks the same as you describe except I think they both have stickers. I will look later today.

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both have stickers, the black one is dated Jan 98, I didn't see a date on the unpainted one. Both stickers have what appears to be part numbers on them.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics here of OEM Half shaft for identification, (this is from my 2000 GTS)

You must be registered for see images attach

Build sticker

Casting Numbers

Rubber Gater

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics