I bet the next Gen Viper has ......

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stability software!!! After this court case there is no doubt in my mind....

Sports Car Market Magazine

McClellan points out that the typical SCM subscriber, a car enthusiast who holds fast cars and racetracks dear, will never make it onto this jury. The jurors will be more ordinary citizens. "Most people, especially those with children on the streets and highways, would fear a vehicle like the Carrera GT, with its tricky handling characteristics, 600-plus horsepower, and unskilled, unqualified drivers. When a 'race car for the streets' is sold to anyone with enough money, regardless of his ability to drive it, and it doesn’t even incorporate modern electronic safety devices that correct driver errors, then maybe the manufacturer should accept some responsibility for the foreseeable deaths that will result."

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope that McClellan is never allowed near any track ever again. No way I would welcome him to any open track event.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If that were true, then how could selling a high HP motorcycle EVER be justified???

I've always said, that motorcycles require a decree of self-moderation and caution, and a Viper should be driven just the same way ... it is no different just because it's a car.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If that were true, then how could selling a high HP motorcycle EVER be justified???

I've always said, that motorcycles require a decree of self-moderation and caution, and a Viper should be driven just the same way ... it is no different just because it's a car.

How can riding a motorcycle without a helmet be justified (here in Texas)?

Two different cases (apples to oranges) in that a motorcycle is not considered an 'ordinary' means of transporation and represents a minority - in this country at least.

B

BurntRubber

How can riding a motorcycle without a helmet be justified (here in Texas)?

Two different cases (apples to oranges) in that a motorcycle is not considered an 'ordinary' means of transporation and represents a minority - in this country at least.

There are more people here in AZ driving around on motorcycles with out helmets than there are Vipers driving around:dunno:

and at 130mph the stability control would not have done to much, the wall that stuck out killed those people sounds like to me, a dumb track set up for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya... that track was an accident waiting to happen.. especially on the main straight!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is bs that the driver isn't responsible for more than 49%. I also think it's bs that this woman and her lawyer went headhunting in the first place.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps steak knife manufacturers should hold some responsibility for such knife deaths as it is foreseeable someone could stab and kill someone with one. :rolleyes:

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps steak knife manufacturers should hold some responsibility for such knife deaths as it is foreseeable someone could stab and kill someone with one. :rolleyes:

I think a more accurate analogy would be if you borrowed John Doe’s knife and cut your finger off because the handle broke, while both the manufacturer and John knew it was likely to break.

Anyway, the story is a tragedy all around. What I found interesting was that both New York (i.e. Watkins Glenn) and Virginia (VIR) “have laws that bar releases even in cases of ordinary negligence” (not just gross negligence which was key a factor in this particular settlement).

Last edited:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You don't want to endorse a double-standard for cars and other vehicles. ATVs, motorcycles, Waverunners, etc. all represent even more risk than any Viper (or Porsche). Just becuase something is a 4-wheeled car, doesn't mean it automatically should be held to a higher standard of safety. Otherwise, ALL cars would all have to be super-safe, 'ordinary' forms of transportation. Safety though caution is up to the driver or rider.

They should ban all ATVs, motorcycles, skateboards, waverunners, personal jet airplaines, ultralight aircraft, guns, and sharp letter openers before they mandate that sports cars need more required safety.

(remember when convertibles were outlawed for a decade back in the mid 70's because of risks associated with flipping over?)

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe active handling with an on/off switch and competition mode would cost all of 200 dollars and would be an excellent addition to every vehicle on the road.

I have it on my c5 Z06 and its awesome. As the driver I have the choice what mode to put it in and it saves my @ss big time especially when the weather turns cold..

High performance tires and pavement below 30 degrees don't mix well and active handling comes in handy even when your not hot dogging it.

JMO

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its a federal mandate that all vehicles sold in America must have Stability Management by 2010.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was given a ride in Ben's CGT and also owned a 2005 CGT myself which I later traded for a 63 Cobra due to the extreme rate of depreciation I was facing with the CGT. There was nothing wrong with the handling of Ben's car when I was in it and my CGT was the best handling car I have ever owned. After owning and driving a CGT I have never experienced the tail happy oversteer problem they describe. I had a CGT on track at Willow Springs I would think I would have noticed something?

CGT revved up more quickly than most cars I have driven and felt more like a shifter kart than any other car I have experienced. Handling was so good it almost gave you a false sense of security. Great car but a lot of money with high rate of depreciation. I really miss mine.

Viper still is the BEST all around performance car for the money, with the best factory and dealer support not to mention the best National Club perhaps ever to be created for a car? All things considered Viper is the best ownership experience I have ever known. My two cents.