I failed Emissions today, how?????

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well took my car for emissions today, and as predicted failed miserably!! I'm actually shocked that sirens and flashing lights and a claxton didn't sound as soon as they hooked up to my car.:D Here's the laundry list of failures:

P0031 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0443 Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve A Circuit
P0203 Injector Circuit/Open- Cyclinder 3
P0202 Injector Circuit/Open- Cyclinder 2
P0201 Injector Circuit/Open- Cyclinder 1
P0505 Idle Air Control System
P0123 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High
P0500 Vehicle Speed sensor A
P0353 Ignition Coil C Primary/Secondary Circuit
P0352 Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit

So I look at the guy and with a serious face ask him, "I don't use premium when I gas up, could that be why it failed? Ha ha ha ha

OP
OP
A

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure those are not just stored codes from the past? Clear them and go back.

Ill ask my tuner but I'm running an AEM stand alone so I'm sure they are legit, it's just the factory ECU is no longer handling those aspects of the car.

OP
OP
A

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your CEL on? If no, bad bulb.. LOL. wow. what a mess.

No check engine light ;). I'm running an AEM so this was expected. So thus the game begins. So now all I have to do is show "proof" that I spent $450 to try and fix the problem. After that I go for a retest with my $450 invoice and when it fails again, show them the recipt and I get a waiver for 2 years. :)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill ask my tuner but I'm running an AEM stand alone so I'm sure they are legit, it's just the factory ECU is no longer handling those aspects of the car.

If all of those sensors etc are now connected to the AEM and not the factory ECU whereas for the OBD system to see them they do need to be connected to the factory ECU, then this is pretty simple... :rolleyes:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya and if your state is like mo. you cant just clear the codes and then get a test- you have to clear them and then drive it to re-set the moniters in the computer for a sum of 40 to 120 miles-depends on the car--thats without the car throwing another code

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL man....i had the same issue in VA as Iam running an AEM. Found a very cheap and easy way around it. Not sure if MD is the same but ping me and Ill share.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should move to PA as we are exempt from emissions inspection if annual mileage is <5000.
PAvenomRT/10

Correct, but he would still have to pass the FIRST time the car is registered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If all of those sensors etc are now connected to the AEM and not the factory ECU whereas for the OBD system to see them they do need to be connected to the factory ECU, then this is pretty simple... :rolleyes:

Not so simple. The car will not run on the stock ECU, waaaaayyy to many mods.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buy some hiflows, o2 sensors, plugs and wires, injector cleaner etc to get the receipt for $450, then list the new in box parts in the classifieds at 20% off retail and you have a $90 fix for 2 yrs

or.....

:drive:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No. Simple from the standpoint that if all of the sensors and inputs are no longer connested to the ECU but instead connected to the AEM then how do you expect the OBD to not output codes? I thought the AEM was NOT a piggyback meaning it is not sharing inputs with the ECU meaning the ECU is going *** and the OBD is saying this.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No. Simple from the standpoint that if all of the sensors and inputs are no longer connested to the ECU but instead connected to the AEM then how do you expect the OBD to not output codes? I thought the AEM was NOT a piggyback meaning it is not sharing inputs with the ECU meaning the ECU is going *** and the OBD is saying this.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the "how????" in the title was a bit of humor... ;)

OP
OP
A

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The ECU still runs some of the fucntions of the car like the dash and gauges and stuff so it's not completley out of the loop.

OP
OP
A

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was referring to the items in your list not additional ones.

Understood. The stock ECU still runs some of the functions on the car, therefore it still has power to it and can still be plugged in to. When they plug into the stock ECU and try to read the various emission readings it's "throwing a code" because those items are no longer "plugged" in or controlled by the factory ECU.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
reminds me of the time I brought my 1970 Chevelle into the NJ inspection station. It's a big carport type garage.

The tech's were chocking and teary eye'd from the fumes as soon as I drove in, and with the cam, the car could barely stay running at idle. LOL. Needless to say, I came out with a big bright red, FAIL sticker on it, lol

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Aries,

Go to the emissions station in Annapolis. Pull around to the left and walk into the office. Inform the gentlmen that your car is to low to drive over the rollers. You'll pay the normal fee and they will right you a two year exemption. I did it there for 6 years with my vette.

Andy Wheeler

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy, I also did the same thing for the past 4 years, however, Md. doesn't use the roller system anymore. It was good while it lasted(LOL).

OP
OP
A

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aries,

Go to the emissions station in Annapolis. Pull around to the left and walk into the office. Inform the gentlmen that your car is to low to drive over the rollers. You'll pay the normal fee and they will right you a two year exemption. I did it there for 6 years with my vette.

Andy Wheeler

Has Annapolis not got rid of the rollers?

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or, maybe ask around, someone has got to know someone that does those inspections that might be able to work something out with you.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Andy, I also did the same thing for the past 4 years, however, Md. doesn't use the roller system anymore. It was good while it lasted(LOL).

Doh:omg:

Thanks for clearing that up Mike. Not sure if Annapolis still has them. I never used them just the driving over them part was what got the exemption LOL.

Andy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth