I got new sapphire blue '01 RT10 today !!!

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got new sapphire blue \'01 RT10 today !!!

What a feeling! What an unbelievable feeling! I got the car of my dreams today and I am electrified! I keep running back to the garage checking to see if my C5 is parked in there and that maybe this whole thing is just a dream. That white Vette is gone, as in "gone in 60 seconds" (had no remorse saying goodbye) and in it's place sits an absolute pristine SAPPHIRE JEWEL! I just new it would feel this way. I just new I would feel like I've never felt about getting a car. I won't be able to sleep tonight. Pretty immature for a forty year old, huh? I just can't help myself. - I'm just gonna go with the feeling and enjoy it. Pics will follow next couple days.

Any thoughts, any advice? I do have a great respect for the car's raw power. A year ago I rented and RT10 in Vegas and had the back break loose on me after tapping the gas turning from Paradise onto Tropicana. That won't ever happen again.

Any and all advice most appreciated.

I was not told break in procedures. Can anyone help?

In the meantime, I just can't stop smiling.

Marc in Boca
(might have written that twice/leaning how to use "show signature" feature.)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: I got new sapphire blue \'01 RT10 today !!!

Congrats, Marc...break-in CRITICAL...I have e-mailed you a post from archives by Roy that rehashes the UPDATED recommendations NOT found in 2001 manual. Good Luck, and ENJOY your new ViperrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!
bounce.gif

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats,
As the owner of a 2001 yellow r/t10 all i can say is WELCOME!!!
I just came back from a 220 mile ride.. what a great day!!!
anyhow... follow break in to the letter i change oil ( mobil1 and mobil1 filter) at 200 miles and 1500 miles and now i will change again at 3000 miles. I currently have 2200miles on her.

find a nice chunk of garage wall (if you dont have the hartop stand) i put up styrofoam on the wall and floor in front of the wall. then 2 eye bolts in the wall. and covered a long bungie cord with pipe styroform. and tadda... a very secure and safe place for the hardtop... now i dont have to worry about it getting scratched or hurt in anyway..keep it and the rear window off the car as much as ya car.. it is a blast......
are you doing any mods?????
smile.gif

ps. put a sleepbag in the garage and sleep there tonight...
what the hell ya only live once!!!
smile.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

WELCOME ! You are now a VCA member, and FLA has a couple of great clubs. Make contact via links above!

I have had my GTS since 6/8/96, and I STILL feel the magic when I walk into my garage.....

Be careful with TORQUE as you learn your SSSNAKE. Many owners crash in the first 1500 miles. ~~45 totals on the way home from dealer.....a 600-miler last week!

Be careful closing the hood....do it correctly. And DO be kind and gentle for 800-1000 miles during the break in. No Cheating!
Great power, and low oil useage will be your reward.

Want to learn more, talk or add accessories, or chat Vipers? E-me ! [email protected]

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Marc,

Congrats on the new snake! I've had my Sapphire GTS for about a month now and I still cant get the smile off my face.

My word of advice has to do with cleaning the beast.

Make sure you use HIGH quality Cannon/Fieldcrest white towels only. I used some cheap Fieldcrest towels (they said they were 100% cotton) from a bath shop and after a couple of washes I noticed fine scratches all over the car. (Zaino got them out). Get the "Charisma" towels, expensive but worth it.

If you havent heard of Zaino, go to www.zainobros.com or search the website here. It's the best stuff to care for your Viper.

Have fun,

Ken

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sapphire 01'

I agree with Marc 100%; buy REALLY GOOD TOWELS!. The Fieldcrest towels are excellent. Buy "Egyptian" cotton towels if you can. You only spent 70K or so on your Viper, don't scrimp on the towels.

My personal favorite towels are made by "Christy of London" and are the plushest I have seen. I believe the line is called "Renaissance", and they are Egyptian cotton. Cut the fancy trim (called "selvage", I believe) off, it scratches! You will feel wasteful cutting it off, but I feel I can really buff with no problems. Buy WHITE. No dyes or fancy stuff. Wash them first, no fabric softener. The softener is just a wax of sorts, and it makes the towels less absorbent and they streak.

Welcome to the club!

Jim Wallace

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Welcome to the club! Sapphire Blue is a 1 year color so your car is a limited edition already! Heres' some advice on the soft top, place a towel on the inside of the top when you fold it up. This will keep the canvas from being scuffed or punctured.
Good luck!

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Marc,
Good line of questions, they are important.I recommend finding a large parking lot some ware, (preferably without light poles and parking blocks) on a Sunday, and find the braking points for this car. Do some take offs, maybe a couple of simulated curves for those exciting freeway entrances and off ramps, some 360's and some braking.( after break in of course. )Better to find out now how it will handle then later at the wrong time. Best of all would be a driving course that uses Viper's, there are a few. I took one, it was a great three days. Enjoy but be safe.

OP
OP
V

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks to those who replied. Your advice in regard to safety, cleaning, after market parts, break in procedures, local clubs is all very appreciated.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mark:

Congratulations and welcome to the club. I too have an '01 s. blue RT; have owned it about 4 months. Suggest you order a couple bottles of Zaino Z-5 and use that to keep the swirl marks to a minimum. Seems to work the best when you let it dry on the car overnight and then buff off with a 100% cotton towel. You may notice the brakes squeaking at first, but it will subside somewhat as you put more miles on your car. Was out on a 20 mile joyride yesterda and only heard mine squeak once. Also, the brake dust tends to build up on the wheels - nice coating of polish makes them easy to clean. Good luck with your new snake.

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congratulations, I really like the Sapphire blue color. I would love to have a GTS in this color.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah ... I want to see a picture too. That sounds like an awesome snake. Soon, you will be holding sessions of "Viper Court" everytime you stop at a gas station. Congratulations and welcome to the Viper Nation.

dmora

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All this cheery hoopla and no pictures??? tisk tisk!

Congrats ;) and follow break in to the letter... I dont know for certain how vipers are but i hear you cant mash it till after 3000 miles. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i personally would drive like and old lady for a while with that thing ;)

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Heres a pic,

You must be registered for see images
"]http://y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/sovietsu27/vwp?.dir=/My+Photo+Album&.dnm=Viper3.jpg&.src=bc&.view=t&.hires=t[/img][/url]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper