I hate the press

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All that HP doesn't do a bit of good if they can't get it to the ground! A friend has a 2007 GT500. I mentioned to him the news above, his comment was "Big deal, they still have a solid axle and skinnys in the rear and I can't even get my ponys to the ground so it is only going to be worse!"

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Repost. Also, it's sarcasm. They are pointing out the insane amounts of horsepower available in different marks.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shelby himself said "Horsepower sells cars...torque wins races."

It has more torque than the viper too. Anyway, it is torque at the rear wheels that provide motion, and that is created by power and gearing, not torque alone. The torque vs power debate should have been over the first year of physics.

OP
OP
Lawrenzo

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From an Autoweek story:

Dear Sergio: Your company was building cars making close to this sort of power a decade ago. Will you not apply some of that knowledge to help your American arm stomp the brassy boys from Dearborn? Did not, after all, Ol' Shel help you midwife the Viper, only to turn back to his old masters at Ford? Can you countenance that?
No, Auburn Hills. No, Renaissance Center, you cannot possibly be OK with this. Unless, of course, you're chicken. You're not chicken, are you? Are you?

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120426/CARNEWS/120429826#ixzz1tGTnHzJT

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it but all this press about super high performance cars is only going to draw the ire of the Green Nazis. I can see them now hatching some evil scheme to indirectly attack the makers and buyers of these cars.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got to admit it's crazy power, and the Dearborn boys are good at their job. Ford is kicking butt.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I think it's funny as heck. People are complaining about manufacturer HP wars on a car forum.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Ford GT and I have to say that engine easily puts down 766rwhp on 91 pump gas. With just a pulley change the new 5.8l GT500 will put down 650 at wheels if not more. But, GT500s have a hard time putting it down. Love the new Viper! Will have to get one. Maybe wait for the vert though.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it but all this press about super high performance cars is only going to draw the ire of the Green Nazis. I can see them now hatching some evil scheme to indirectly attack the makers and buyers of these cars.

I have a dream... that the EPA, along with all of the prius's get sucked into a huge vortex never to be seen or heard from again.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For many, many years Ford has been stuffing heavy, high HP engines in their mustangs. There is a pretty good market for these special. People just want the numbers to quote, and the thrill of being behind that huge engine.

While they tend not to be all that well balanced, they sound fantastic, and are great fun to drive.

Just as the old small block 289 Cobra's were the true race cars, everybody wanted to get the big block 427 models, even though they were tough to drive, and produced so much heat that you feet would fry.

Think the Boss 302 is the Mustang for enthusiasts to own, but there is no doubt that that big engine will sell some cars.

Big engined Mustang only competes with the Viper in internet forums, and automobile magazines. The driving experience is totally different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets