I just got screwed HELP!!!

Reaction score
I went out and drove the car for a couple hours yesterday.
I just went outside to drive it again tonight.
I thought I'd play mechanic and check my tire pressure.
I noticed a F-cking screw in the back tire, don't know how long the screw is, haven't unscrewed it, what advice do you have to remedy this situation.
Yes, its the original run-flats.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Discount Tire for a plug and patch, leave the screw in. One time only to
maintain the speed rating, next time you will need a new tire.

Herc :usa:

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
leave the screw in there, doesn't sound like you have lost any air pressure, I would drive to a tire shop and have them remove it and repair the tire. Or take the tire off at your house and take just the tire to be repaired. Some are going to say replace since the speed rateing wont apply. But I got a nail in my 2000 gts right in the middle of the rear tire, I had it repaired, and no problems. I just wouldnt be doing any record breaking speed runs on a repaired tire.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Screws are alot better than nails! :D
As others suggested, leave the screw in, take it to Tirerack, or Discount tire, and let them repair it. As long as it's not in the sidewall, you should be OK.
Good luck!

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Discount Tire for a plug and patch, leave the screw in. One time only to
maintain the speed rating, next time you will need a new tire.

Herc :usa:
One time only?? I have never heard the "one time rule".
As far as I know you have lost the speed rating and should replace the tire if you want to maintain any sort of speed rating... if you only plug and patch it will ALWAYS be in the back of your mind when you are at high speeds - or it may fail at high speed as you have lost the speed rating.

Snk Btn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check your owners manual. The 06 Vipers get a 24 month warranty on the tires. I have an 06 coupe and got a screw in my back tire and Michelin replaced it for free. It took about a week for the tire to get delivered to the local Tire Kingdom. Michelin even covered the labor.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is right! I had my 03 tire replaced under warranty because of a screw - but I also paid to have the other rear tire replaced so that they would match as I had about 7000 miles on them. Not such a bad deal for a new set of rear tires!

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Not to say it is he right thing to do, bu I've driven for hundreds of miles in total, at sustained speeds well over 120mph on tires with 1,2,even 3 patches and sometimes even a plug and never had a problem...

I am beginning to think this "rating" is just a legal "cover-your-ass" mumbo-jumbo..

Oh, I HAVE blown tires at over 100, by hitting debri... not so hard to control, and unless you have bad luck or do something silly it is easy to come to a controlled stop.

Cheers.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was also told that the run flats were covered under warranty for 2 years. when I spoke with Luke, The Tire Rack, he told me you should never repair a run flat tire. I also called some name brand tire shops who said the same thing. But I have to agree with Zorro here to some extent. If you only drive at highway speeds, yes there are some viper owners who putt around, why do you need to replace the tire?

Snk Btn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
But I have to agree with Zorro here to some extent. If you only drive at highway speeds, yes there are some viper owners who putt around, why do you need to replace the tire?

If the tire can be replaced under warranty, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree as long as it is still under warranty. If gramp pa is driving the cat there most likly will still be a lot of tread left after the warranty runs out.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I spoke to a Michelin customer service rep today.
The tire is covered for 2-years under warranty.
BTW-There is a Michelin warranty booklet inside the glove box with the owners manual.

They told me to take it to a Michelin dealer, if the tire can be fixed with a "patch stem combination repair" they will do so free of charge.

He said the tire can actually handle up to 2-patches (in different locations on the same tire)to keep the speed rating in effect.

If the tire can't be repaired, or if the hole is more than 1/4' wide, they will replace the tire free of charge, this also includes labor.

I will try to take it in tomorrow AM.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, just before the tire warrantey expires you mysteryasly get nails in all four tires, in the side wall's. Would you get 4 new tires under warranty?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting but I think I would make sure that I had a roofing gutter spike, or landscape spike driven into my tire when i brought it to a Michelin dealer for repair as I would not want to drive it at high speeds after a 3/16" repair had been made.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, just before the tire warrantey expires you mysteryasly get nails in all four tires, in the side wall's. Would you get 4 new tires under warranty?

I don't know about the specific warranty for these tires but I've only heard about the tires getting pro-rated...

and then you have to buy the one one from the dealer, so grab your ankles and get some vaseline! :buttkick:

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I had to pay $46.00 for the patch-stem repair.
The warranty says: "unservicable".

Since with the patch-stem repair made my tires servicable, I had to pay for the repair.

Knowing what I know now, I would have put three screws into the tire, and received a new tire. LOL