I must be missing something...trying to remove the diff!

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the title says, I am removing the diff for rebuild and I am stuck trying to break loose the 4 mounting bolts for the diff. I have used all the usual tricks, PB blaster, longer lever on the wrench, broke a rachet. etc and can not get it loose. Yeah, I am going in the right direction.

I know that it has to be easier than this so must be doing something wrong!

Any suggestions?

As soon as I posted this I called Chuck, looks like I am doing it right. He was surprised that I broke a rachet... yeah, hah!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He did make one suggestion to go ahead a remove the rear exhaust section. The manual didn't state that this was necessary, so I didn't. This should give me more room to work. Wondering if I should replace it with a muffler delete kit since I have to remove it anyway....hmmmmmm!

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He did make one suggestion to go ahead a remove the rear exhaust section. The manual didn't state that this was necessary, so I didn't. This should give me more room to work. Wondering if I should replace it with a muffler delete kit since I have to remove it anyway....hmmmmmm!
That's how I convinced myself to get a Borla system while my diff is getting upgraded :D When I was looking at the underside of my car I was thinking removing the exhaust would make things a lot simpler, by creating a lot more room to work.

Wish I could give you some advice on the 4 bolts, but I took the cheater way out and sent my car out to be fixed (as you know).

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, it has already begun! Today, I only have KN's, Chrome Smooth Tubes and Roe High Flow Cats.

Tomorrow, The diff is going to be rebuilt with 3:55's or as soon as I can get it off the car.

I might have to wait on the cross over for a little bit. At least I will have everything loosened up for the swap when I do it.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Ken,

I think you'll need a breaker bar with constant pressure rather than a ratchet. Do you want help?

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's how I convinced myself to get a Borla system while my diff is getting upgraded :D When I was looking at the underside of my car I was thinking removing the exhaust would make things a lot simpler, by creating a lot more room to work.

Wish I could give you some advice on the 4 bolts, but I took the cheater way out and sent my car out to be fixed (as you know).

Yup, I was surprised when I saw that you posted the impending upgrades. I thought you were going to take it slow for a little while. You are lucky Nikki is as passionate about cars as you are.

I soaked everything done and came inside to take a little break. Even as frustrated as I got, it is better than being at work this week.

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Aaron, That's how I stripped the rachet. I needed to use the rachet because of the tight space with 18" pipe. With the exhaust out, my breaker bar may work just fine. but I thank you for your offer and will keep it in mind. That would be a bit of a drive for you.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Ken,

Its only a 30 minute drive in the Viper, otherwise I'll likely watch the two Game 7's in the NHL playoffs.

PM me if you'd like another set of hands even to pass you tools.

Regards,
Aaron

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the title says, I am removing the diff for rebuild and I am stuck trying to break loose the 4 mounting bolts for the diff. I have used all the usual tricks, PB blaster, longer lever on the wrench, broke a rachet. etc and can not get it loose. Yeah, I am going in the right direction.

I know that it has to be easier than this so must be doing something wrong!

Any suggestions?

As soon as I posted this I called Chuck, looks like I am doing it right. He was surprised that I broke a rachet... yeah, hah!

I use a 1/2" ratchet with a swivel head and a 18" handle, the pipe goes over that.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did my '03 with and impact and a long flex head ratchet. But, I had already put Corsa catbacks on it and the crossover was gone. It is a bit of a pain getting the damn thing out but I used a tranny jack and swiveled it around guite a bit. Seems you have to hold your mouth just right. And of course, beer helps. So would a friend to hand you a beer and help you swivel the thing out. Use plenty of bungies to tie everything out of the way.

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, after multiple interruptions and a trip to replace my craftsman rachet with 18" flexible head rachet, i was able to break it loose and remove the nuts and then bolts with the diff supported on a trannyjack. Holy smokes! I thought I could just drop this thing down and be done with it. JoelW, I guess I didn't hold my mouth just right at first. Finally, I let the diff rotate forward, pivoting on the rear hangers or mounting ears, and cradled the input point on my legs lifting just enough to rotate the mounting ears around and drop them down. It is easy enough once you figure it out.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, I was surprised when I saw that you posted the impending upgrades. I thought you were going to take it slow for a little while. You are lucky Nikki is as passionate about cars as you are.

I soaked everything done and came inside to take a little break. Even as frustrated as I got, it is better than being at work this week.

I thought so too, but I guess it could be worse. I could have gone with a tune, headers, cats, brakes, flywheel, clutch, etc. etc. (yes those things are now all on my list of things to change :) )

and yes I am very lucky. Although it's a double edge sword as we decided her Super Bee needed a cold air intake so guess what I will be installing this weekend.

Any luck with those 4 bolts yet? Glad to hear you decided to go with the 3.55 gears, I think they will really wake up our cars.

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,

PM me if your still interested in a muffler delete set up, I have one in near perfect condition collecting dust.
Thx!
Burt

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought so too, but I guess it could be worse. I could have gone with a tune, headers, cats, brakes, flywheel, clutch, etc. etc. (yes those things are now all on my list of things to change :) )

and yes I am very lucky. Although it's a double edge sword as we decided her Super Bee needed a cold air intake so guess what I will be installing this weekend.

Any luck with those 4 bolts yet? Glad to hear you decided to go with the 3.55 gears, I think they will really wake up our cars.

Got her done, I drop it off tomorrow and pick it Friday afternoon. I will put it back in Saturday along with the new clutch , slave cylinder, etc...... I will have a brand new car when I get done!

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is good news. Are you going with one of those new Bad Boyzz Garage series light weight flywheel twin disk setups? (That is definitely on my list :D but my clutch only has 15k on it so I have to wait on that one)

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is good news. Are you going with one of those new Bad Boyzz Garage series light weight flywheel twin disk setups? (That is definitely on my list :D but my clutch only has 15k on it so I have to wait on that one)

Nope! Going stock! It has worked good enough for the last 58K miles. I am only replacing it because I have to remove it to get to the oil leak at the crank.
Since I am there......you know how the rest of it goes!:D

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, after multiple interruptions and a trip to replace my craftsman rachet with 18" flexible head rachet, i was able to break it loose and remove the nuts and then bolts with the diff supported on a trannyjack. Holy smokes! I thought I could just drop this thing down and be done with it. JoelW, I guess I didn't hold my mouth just right at first. Finally, I let the diff rotate forward, pivoting on the rear hangers or mounting ears, and cradled the input point on my legs lifting just enough to rotate the mounting ears around and drop them down. It is easy enough once you figure it out.

Yes, there seems to be a trick. Not quite a Rubik's cube. I guess if you did it every day. I did fill mine with fluid - partially - before I put it in. It is not hard to get to but you don't want to get any dirt in your new rear end. The hardest part was not driving hard for 500 miles. Fortunately we had a club weekend in the pouring rain so I was not tempted. And make sure you double and triple check all the nuts and bolts - I know I was eager to get it done and out on the road. Also tighten the rear suspension in "droop" to get it back where it was when you loosened it. Sounds silly but it makes a difference! Have fun

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken don't forget to put a few heat cycles on that new diff. Go for a drive for a half hour or so, getting the rear diff fluid up to temp then shut it down and let it completely cool down, then repeat. I believe you need 2-3 heat cycles. They help prolong the longevity of the diff.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken don't forget to put a few heat cycles on that new diff. Go for a drive for a half hour or so, getting the rear diff fluid up to temp then shut it down and let it completely cool down, then repeat. I believe you need 2-3 heat cycles. They help prolong the longevity of the diff.

Yes, yes! 72hemi is right. Drive easily for 20 minutes and let cool for at least 45, repeat this step twice :omg: was what Unitrax instructions say. They made it clear that failure to follow the instructions would mean certain death for the rear diff and loss of private parts for you - like a large part of your wallet as you do it over.

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny that you mentioned Rubik's cube. That was how I first thought of it. I twisted and turned, raised and lower and every possible combination for over a half hour until I finally decided to lower the front all the way down. From there out it was fairly easy.....

Yes, there seems to be a trick. Not quite a Rubik's cube. I guess if you did it every day. I did fill mine with fluid - partially - before I put it in. It is not hard to get to but you don't want to get any dirt in your new rear end. The hardest part was not driving hard for 500 miles. Fortunately we had a club weekend in the pouring rain so I was not tempted. And make sure you double and triple check all the nuts and bolts - I know I was eager to get it done and out on the road. Also tighten the rear suspension in "droop" to get it back where it was when you loosened it. Sounds silly but it makes a difference! Have fun

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Updating an older post. I got the diff back in, just in time to drive it up to the Tech day at Big Boyz Garage. After doing the diff R and R without a lift, any enthusiasm to do any serious work UNDER the car was completely gone. I have had an on going oil leak that I kept meaning to get to and finally decided to let Toddy do it. I left my car with Toddy after the event to replace the rear main seal and mounting plate gasket. Toddy put it all back together with the new parts that I had and got a new correct gasket to replace the wrong one the parts counter gave me. Note: When ordering items for a 96 GTS, it seems like best policy is to ask for parts for a 97 GTS. 96 being a crossover year with two engines being made, there can be some confusion when looking up the parts.

Toddy, did an excellent job of putting it all together and went above and beyond the call of duty cleaning up the mess from the oil leak. I picked up the car on Thursday night and by yesterday, I finally put enough miles on the clutch and diff to try em out. Ooooohhhh Boy! The 3.54's really do Wake up the car. I can see myself going thru tires much much quicker now. So far, I am very pleased with the transition and look forward to getting use to the new found since of power!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456