I RACED W/NEWZ06 SUNDAY, WARNING SRT10 ITS NOT GOOD NEWS

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i debated for awhile as to posting this on the genIII form knowing how most here
feel when something positive is not posted ( including me ) however i think good
true info deserves to be posted when its fact.

i raced my 02 rt/10 at cecil county dragway in rising sun, md on sunday april 9.
as soon as i arrived driving over to get my car teched low and behold i pass by
a new red c6z06. after tech and getting ready for racing i went over and met
the owner, goes by RANGER on this form and corvetteforum.com, very nice guy with
no atitude towards the viper. we talked about pryor runs of course and asked each
other if we had any mods. he had a set of drag wheels/tires with him but ran on
his stock tires. turns out if you go to the corvetteforum that this guy has posted
some of the best if not the best times for the c6z06. i did not know this on sunday
and he didn't say or brag about his driving pryor to making any runs, nor did he
boast afterward and by the way complimented me on my runs. he even stayed to see
my runs after he was kicked out for breaking out of the 11.49 rule in 2 back to
back runs. he and i even went over what i should dial in at and guess what i dialed
in at 11.55 and ran a11.554, gotta like it.

now i can verify with no question what the c6z06 stock with stock tires can do
and did in the 1/4 run.

HE RAN ON HIS FIRST RUN 11.31@127+ MPH. SECOND RUN 11.38@???.

i feel i can drive fairly well when it comes to drag racing and i did race both
of my srt's, 2003 srt/10 - 2004srt/10. my best run ever at this track with my
2004 srt/10 was a 12.06 ( could have been in the very high 11's on that run but
shifted to 4th ). when i say high 11's i mean 11.9??. HOWEVER MY TIME SLIP SHOWS
12.06. the srt/10 is by far not the best car to drag race, its very hard to hook
up and get good 60' times but i did get 1.8's 60' with my srt10.

IMHO - bottom line equal drivers racing srt10 vs c6z06 1/4 mile, same day, same track.

the c6z06 wins and is the faster of the 2 in the 1/4 mile. guys the new z is the
real deal. no [******], no bench racing, no keyboard racing, i was there and saw it for
myself. does this mean i'm selling my viper and going to buy one,NO IT DOESN'T. but
we all should give credit when credit is due. dodge dropped the ball and has lost
king of the hill status when it comes to 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. it's sad dodge
let this happen to the viper but there will always be a faster car out there but
none that i can think of for less the price of the viper EXCEPT THE NEW C6Z06.

i really hope this post has not offended anyone who owns the srt10. i feel lucky
i was able to be there and see it for myself. i posted my time slips from that
day on the genI/II forum which shows conditions for that day.

again give credit when credit is due, they earned it and my hats off to them.

RANGER CONGRATS ON YOUR 2 RUNS AND YOU DID A GREAT JOB OF DRIVING, YOU SHOWED
ALL WHAT THE C6Z06 REALLY DOES. :2tu:

NOW DODGE PLEASE STEP IT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"does this mean i'm selling my viper and going to buy one,NO IT DOESN'T."

... The bottom of your profile says that you've SOLD both cars ...

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"does this mean i'm selling my viper and going to buy one,NO IT DOESN'T."

... The bottom of your profile says that you've SOLD both cars ...

and still own a viper, 2002 rt/10 :2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i figured as much on the Zo6 being faster, this just proves it.

no biggie, they are great cars but id rather own the viper myself.

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tom,
Yeah, it is what it is, No dought the Vette is faster at the drag strip...and that is great for the Vette guys, they have waited a long time for this...

I quess if I bought my Coupe for any other reason than I did this would probably bother me, of course I would be forced to mod my Coupe, something that is not a option for the Zo6...

So for the record I will agree for the money the Vette is the faster car out of the box, but, for the money the Viper is the better car with its platform for massive improvements..

So as they say, Dodge did not give us what we wanted, Dodge gave us what we needed, and the rest is up to us....my 02c

Thanks for the post...Rick

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i figured as much on the Zo6 being faster, this just proves it.

no biggie, they are great cars but id rather own the viper myself.

DITTO

LeftyBaseballr16

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Virginia Beach, Virginia / Louisburg, North Caroli
I was about z06's in a car & driver and was very impressed with what they;ve done. Bottom line is im driving down the road and I pass people walking along the road. They see a corvette.... nice but who cares. they see a viper... its like MAN DID YOU SEE THAT, A DODGE VIPER!?!?

of course I dont know this because i don't have my viper yet but just thats how i feel about the 2 cars :)

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the new Z06. I think it is awesome and should be given a lot of credit. Atleast the Viper is still the better looking car. It seems to me that that is the only legitimate excuse I have as to why I am keeping the Viper and not getting the Z06. Hehe.

Great runs, Ranger.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can, please report in on the affect of loss of traction on this subject. It is my understanding that the Z Corvette has traction control which allows it to hook up better than the Viper. I would like to see the quarter mile times of a Gen III Viper with the Racelogic system installed. I realize that part of the issue is the weight difference between the two cars but the power curve of the Viper is still superior and the torque of the Viper is higher. Purist considerations aside, traction control should have a significant affect. Anyone have the Racelogic system installed and been to the strip?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The z06 is great for what it is, but you recently did a mid 11 run, right? On a 10 yr old design, the z06 barely beat you with a driver that has nothing better to do all day then live on the drag strip in a vette and come to Viper boards to brag.

This vette vs viper thing is old. Who cares? Both are great cars, but really in different leagues attracting a different market.

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WANTED how is it your stock rt/10 runs 11.55 which is awesome, but the newer vipers srt-10's run slower. Why is that?

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WANTED how is it your stock rt/10 runs 11.55 which is awesome, but the newer vipers srt-10's run slower. Why is that?

REAR TIRE SIZE / GEARING / HP / TORQUE

the srt is extremely hard to launch (not impossible) the srt is faster if you can
get the power to the ground. when i was drag racing my srt's i was able to break
it loose going from 2nd to 3rd. my rt/10 seems to hook much better then the srt's
i had. i think the srt10 is a much better track car then drag car which is not a
bad thing.

also remember the srt was a completely new design. had dodge put that motor in
the rt/10 i think the viper would kick the new z's arss. IMHO

so if anyone wants to give me their motor from their srt, i'm game :D

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WANTED are you completly stock I mean completly with no changes at all

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was number three in line at the local dealer for a Z06 but bought an SRT10 because I wanted a convertible, and because GM just builds too many vettes. go to a car show and they will park your viper with the lambos and Ferraris, and the vettes all herd together off in the distance. Traded my 2004 C5 for the viper it was a great car as is the new C6 z06 but the viper is just awesome. You won't be able to add 50 plus HP to the Z06 with out opening the motor up like you can on the Viper. This is just a wake up call for SRT.

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was number three in line at the local dealer for a Z06 but bought an SRT10 because I wanted a convertible, and because GM just builds too many vettes. go to a car show and they will park your viper with the lambos and Ferraris, and the vettes all herd together off in the distance. Traded my 2004 C5 for the viper it was a great car as is the new C6 z06 but the viper is just awesome. You won't be able to add 50 plus HP to the Z06 with out opening the motor up like you can on the Viper. This is just a wake up call for SRT.

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WANTED are you completly stock I mean completly with no changes at all

as i have listed - filters, tubes and factory mopar exhaust.

thats it.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me get this right....

You lost by 2/10ths to a driver that the Corvette guys WORSHIP and claim is the absolute BEST EVER at ringing 10/10th out of the latest Vette, in an open top GEN II Viper, than is nearly 10 years old, looks far better, more exciting to drive, etc... Wow! You have to give the GEN II big props. Nice job!

:2tu:

Eagle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think that Ranger from what i have read is going to get some of the best times from any car. I dont think that is what you can expect from other drivers, from what ive seen. JMO. Eagle

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw my first ZO6 (other than at the dealer) last night...he desperately wanted to race but my son was driving :confused: I preach to him all the time about "no street racing"...sure wish I was driving and my son was not in the car!! It's a small city so we will meet again!

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can, please report in on the affect of loss of traction on this subject. It is my understanding that the Z Corvette has traction control which allows it to hook up better than the Viper. I would like to see the quarter mile times of a Gen III Viper with the Racelogic system installed. I realize that part of the issue is the weight difference between the two cars but the power curve of the Viper is still superior and the torque of the Viper is higher. Purist considerations aside, traction control should have a significant affect. Anyone have the Racelogic system installed and been to the strip?

TRUE the Z06 has traction control but is intended for wet weather, etc. When the traction control is "ON" and the tires spin the computer cuts back the timing as well as applies the brakes to prevent lost of control. This would be a MAJOR disadvantage in Drag racing which is why owner turn the system "OFF" before any runs are made. :)

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't be able to add 50 plus HP to the Z06 with out opening the motor up like you can on the Viper. This is just a wake up call for SRT.

You might want to do some reseach chief, you couldn't be more WRONG. With headers and an K&N they are making 495RWHP, with a cam change they pulled 525RWHP. There is no tuning softwhare out yet so I'm sure with a tune it will make more.

That said, should be a great race :cool:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
50 RWHP for headers and K&N. They must have a horseshit stock exhaust then eh?

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
50 RWHP for headers and K&N. They must have a horseshit stock exhaust then eh?

If you ever saw a pair you'd see why, they are very restrictive. Keep in mind the larger the cubic inches the more it responds to mods, the Viper is no different. Throw a set of long tubes on a Gen II and LOOK OUT. :eek:

Mike Dolan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Before purchasing my 05 SRT, I contemplated the Z06, but decided on the Viper for several reasons.
1. If you compare List prices, the Z06 is cheaper, but when you compare what you will actually pay, the Viper is about the same price. Vipers (convertibles) are currently discounted, whereas Z06's are marked up significantly.
2. The Viper is more exclusive.
3. The Viper looks a lot better to me.
4. The Viper has intrinsically good handling, not syntheticly generated by the electronic stability control system.
5. The Z06 looks pretty much like any other Vette, the Viper is distinctive.
6. I am predjucided.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I no longer own a Viper, I do have a C6 Z06 among other vettes. I've owned 4 Vipers including an 03 Srt and an 01 ACR.

First - "Ranger" does post some of the best times in C5Zs and now in the C6Z of anyone out there! He has only recently taken delivery of his C6Z so it's still new to him, but he has TONS of experience on the strip.

The Viper is a Great car, so is the new C6Z, I'm looking forward to the 08 models (lots of Higher HP rumours floating around)

The bottom line is that these cars are closely matched and on any given day it comes down to the driver.

Cheers and be safe!

2Charmed

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let the Ranger drive the SRT/10 and see what he can do with it. Sounds like he knows what he's doing.

What IS the best time posted for an SRT/10?