Ideas on daily driver - I've confused myself

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Ideas on daily driver - I\'ve confused myself

Dave---first..you're gonna love those EBC pads..jsut did 'em myself. (Thanks Jon) Allow me to add my daily driver to your list of possibilities. Maxima SE. I have a 2000 and I really enjoy it. You surely will want the 17" wheels though.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Daffy,
Similar dilemma here - did not want to spend a ton of money for a commuter car, but wanted something quick, practical and safe. (Safety was a big one for me - just prior to me buying the car a friends fiance was killed in a wreck while on the phone - really scary and close to home...) Did not want a "big car".

Went with a Volkswagen GTI. Now before everyone starts laughing... Its got a sticker price of under $24K. Tons of room inside and since its hatchback - its flexible. Its a narrow angle V6 with 175 HP and 183 lb-ft torque - 0-60 in under 7 I think - should hold its own with any non-M 3 series Bimmers. And,here was the clincher - 8, count'em 8, airbags. Check out www.iihs.org for crash tests. Insurance is cheap, 100K mile / 10 year drivetrain warranty, 17" wheels.... Good car for every day.... The Jetta is the same car and can be optioned up a bit more (memory power seats and a couple other things...)but the GTI is a better sleeper.

And Henry is thanking his lucky stars I didn't get a New Beetle...
You must be registered for see images

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mustang, Mustang, Mustang!!! Go with a Cobra and call it your little snake

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dave,

I have an Infiniti I30; $31K, a bit more than the Maxima but you get free loaners for service and the dealer was close to my office. I have put over 100K miles on my last three Nissans with no problems. The I30 is fast, quiet, a 4 seater, and I get 22mpg around town and 30 on the highway. I have 45K miles on my current one with no problems other than rotors (I am a late brake'r

Good luck
Roy

01 996TT
00 996 Cab
00 Lotus Exige
Looking for my next GTS...

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What about a Dodge Dart or Plymouth Scamp? I know of someone selling a 1971 Scamp with 170,000 miles for $200...Let me know if you are interested. Can email pics if desired.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Daffy, not sure what climate you're in, but if there's snow:

X-type Jag $32K, available in a few weeks, all wheel drive! or the Sebring Convertible and lots of upgrades for your snake with the extra dough! or save even more bread and consider the new Stratus.... and Dougs supercharger for your Snake!

Mustang or 3 series isn't going to provide secure commute-ability in bad weather.

Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think most of the cars suggested are good cars, but if looks are at all important to you (read:Subaru)then its more limiting.
The mustang (v8) doesn't get good mileage. GTI is tiny. What about
a Honda Accord? You have so many choices and its not expensive.
You need a 4 door or 2 door? v6 or 4 cylinder? I have
a 00 Accord 2DR v6. Cost under 23k MSRP. Pretty looking car,
goes relatively fast, spacious inside. If you don't need the speed (the snake does that for you) then go with a 2dr 4 cylinder. If you need the room go with a 4 door. Personally, I think the 2 door accords look very nice.

.01 and a 1/2 cents

Snake

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Snake made me think about mileage on your post, are you looking for 20-something MPG for a lot of in-town? My mustang gt supposedly gets 17/25 (city/hwy), I think it does a bit better than 17 around town, cobra would probably be lower.

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, thanks for the posts everyone.

I just got back from shopping. The WRX is cool, but dealers here are date ****** on this one - $28K+, nice little car but nearly 30K is toomuch for it. Next ... looked at Maxima, not bad, a little pricey, good total package though, but I'm not crazy for the looks, this one's iffy. Looked at a Hyundai XG300, yes a Hyundai, & for $26K you get every option, wood trim, tiptronic, 200hp, gadgets, & tons of interior space - very luxo, but a Hyundai, hmm, I'll go back & drive this one again. Passat is OK, cool little car, plenty of room, but a bit cold compared to many of the others, the Jetta & Golf are too small for my 6'3'' 220lb frame.

Tomorrow I'm driving a mustang GT convertible (I've had 5 mustangs / 2 cobra conv's) which I'm familiar with.

Tomorrow I'm also looking at the Crysler 300M, they're offering 2001's at $3,000 below invoice .. seems like a very deep discount for this time of year ?!?

Thanks for the continued input it really helps, I lack local car enthusiasts to chew this over with.

Oh, the Jag X would be a cool one to check on, but they told me Sept for arrival & that's too long to rent a ride, bummer.

Dave.

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I checked out the WRX with a friend who was looking. It's a bit of a tin can and there may be a more attractive car or two out there, but it's a blast to drive and a pretty good deal for the dough (the gouge is off in So. Cal, BTW). One caveat is that the STi model may come here next year to rival the EVO VII if it shows. The STi is a bit of a step up and maybe worth waiting for.

Curious, why'd you sell the 540? Seems like a decent daily driver, IMO.

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I checked out the WRX with a friend who was looking. It's a bit of a tin can and there may be a more attractive car or two out there, but it's a blast to drive and a pretty good deal for the dough (the gouge is off in So. Cal, BTW). One caveat is that the STi model may come here next year to rival the EVO VII if it shows. The STi is a bit of a step up and maybe worth waiting for.

Curious, why'd you sell the 540? Seems like a decent daily driver, IMO.

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ideas on daily driver - I\'ve confused myself

OK, I have my dream car - the snake. Now, what to drive to work everyday. I just sold my '99 540i, guy's picking it up tonight, which means I have no daily driver starting tomorrow. I'm in analysis paralysis over the next car & I'm looking for some input that might help me unfreeze my brain. Wife has a Jeep Cherokee. I want something that'll at least get in the 20 something MPG and be in the $20-35K range (yea, big range, but I'm confused). To demonstrate how all over the place I am, here are cars I am looking at, mustang GT convertible, Chrysler 300M, Chrysler Sebring Conv, Hyundai XG300, Passat GLX, BMW 3 series conv, now doesn't that sound confused?

Anyway, just looking for some input, I know it's a tuff subject but I thought you folks might turn a light bulb on in my head. My wife supports whatever I decide (she's great), although her 2 cents is to get something more comfortable than sporty because of the viper.

Sorry to ramble, thanks for any ideas,

Dave.

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I loved the 540i, had for 3 years. But .. I sold it for $45K, that's a lot of $ to have wrapped in a daily commuter / grocery getter, for me anyway. It was a truly nice car, but I wasn't getting a $45K blast out of driving it on iffy weather days. It made more sense when I had the 540i & a '99 mustang cobra convertible. When I traded up to the viper from the little snake, the 540i just seems a bit much now, so I'm looking to cut the daily driver investment by about $15-20K.

Anyone know why Chrysler is putting such big cuts on the 300M now, $3K below invoice is something I'd expect in December - any news I haven't heard about?

thanks.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MKIV Supra:
Mustang, Mustang, Mustang!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Look at all the Mustang support!
(My 99 Mustang GT is my current daily driver.)

Tenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Another car (truck) worth a look is the Ford Lightning - that is, if you don't need a back seat. If you do, the Camaro SS isn't going to be around much longer and is quicker than the Mustang - it may be worth considering, also. Have you considered buying used? A last generation M3 (4 door?), bought right, might be a good fit in the price range that you referenced. I had one and really liked it. Better steering and much more tossable than the five series.

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A lot of it depends on whether you want a 2 or 4 door and the functions it will have to perform. I was in the same position looking for a daily driver in that price range. I found that once I got used to the Viper, any other pure sportscar just hasn't felt the same. That basically ruled out a used Vette and to a lesser extent the Camaro SS and the Mustang. So, I thought a 4 door with good utility, excellent handling and a zippy powerplant would be the way to go. I test drove the WRX, and while it was fun when tached out with turbo at full spool (the kid salesman was cool
), it still felt a little light, and I heard Subaru was still working out bugs having to do with electrical and check engine light things. Next up was a used M3 Sedan which I really liked, but the value ($31-32,000 for a '98 with about 40,000 miles) was a snag. I ended up ordering a new 330i 4 door with sport pack. Very similar performance to the prior generation M3, but with BMW price incentives, only about $3-4,000 more. Also, I figured a 3 year old 330i with 30,000 miles will be worth more than a 6 year old M3 sedan with 70,000 miles. Still, either BMW or even the WRX would be a fun car to drive with a load of groceries while the Viper sits.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anybody that's owned a Maxima usually loves it. The best car I ever had (and I've been know to own a few cars) was a '96 Maxima SE 5spd. The motor in those cars are beyond smooth and there is no weakness (other than the looks on the new ones). If you don't like the price, get a new-used one. They've been out long enough that you should be able to choose between quite a few. Also, the new Altima is gonna have 240hp (if you can wait a little bit). That'll be a great package and a price close to the Hyundai. Keep away from the Hyundai--doubt it'll ever be worth anything once you buy it. An Accord or Maxima (esp. Accord) may be $3-4,000 more, but three years from now will be worth over $10K more than the Hyundai.

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seasnake, you & my son think alike, he thinks I should get another viper too.

It's amazing how useful this is, the posts are really helping me think it through.

One of my thoughts was, if I get a 2 door, then might as well be a convertible, otherwise, might as well be a 4 door.

I'd probably jump on the hyundai, except for PMUM's point, which is a good one.

And, for the mustang folks, I'm going to check out a '01 Cobra Convertible, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for all the thoughts, they are helpful.

Dave. (need a ride by next week!)

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree that the Maxima is a nice car. However, let me share my past service experiences with Nissan cars. I have owned an 86 300ZX (sold in 96) and 93 Maxima (still own). BOTH of these cars have had the exact same problems!!! Both power windows went out on the 300ZX and 3 went out on the Maxima. Power antenna went out on both cars. Radio went out on both cars. Overall, not too bad, but makes one wonder why the same things went wrong on both cars!!

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I looked at a Mustang Cobra convertible last night. Are you ready for this, the sticker price was $43,800!!! It had a $10,000 dealer markup. I simply told the manager that if I wanted to drop $44K I'd have gone to the BMW dealership.

Now I love mustangs, I've been driving them since '87, but $43,800, I still can't believe it. So that's one option resolved, no cobra convertible this year. I told my wife & she laughed for a half hour.

Last night I also got a lot of pressure from my friends/neighbors when I said I was looking at a Chrysler 300M and Sebring Convertible. They were like, "And you're looking at those for .. your Mom, right?". They think the chrysler's are frumpy & I'd look silly in either one. I'm not one for peer pressure, but that was pretty harsh, so now the chysler's are on shakey ground. Lord help me, I need to buy something this weekend, ahh.

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks everyone for the input, it really helps to think outloud.

So what did I get? Something I wasn't considering at all. I just happened across a used car on a lot at a dealer I was checking out for something else. The car was on sale way below NADA, it was mis-priced, but they had to honor the window price.

It's a Volvo C70 turbo convertible. Black top & body with tan interior. It's a '99 with 12K miles, perfect condition. It gets out of its own way, very luxo comfort interior, killer stereo, very cool top operation, 4/50 warranty, volvo safety, roll-over protection, tract & stability control, 20-27 mpg, a ton of room (for a convertible) for the kids & average sized adults in the back. Wife loved it (& she's not hot on convertibles), son loved it, so I bought it.

Again, thanks for the input, this was a very tough buy decision.

Dave.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmmm 30K and 20mpg? Tell, take your cash in hand, walk into your local pontiac dealership and say "gimme a Trans-Am please".
You can haggle a WS6 or firehawk for that price.
320 horse rating (more like 350 at the fly), will run high 12's w/ free mods and slicks, and gets 26+ miles per gallon on the highway. That way... you got some power, leather, and a 6spd to play with to remind you of your snake back home.

Camaro will do the same thing... but not with as much style.

MadMaxx

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess it would help to see you already bought one hehe

Oh well, volvo's are cool . I had a 850 T5 a few years ago, pretty quick for a volvo!

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm kind of in the same situation..... I have a Lexus GS400 as my daily driver..... it's lease is up soon.... I like it so much I'm looking into a new GS430..... 52k+ for a new one is alot....

I really really want a new M3..... but can't wait, and I need an automatic for my long commute.... so I might end up with a 330ci or 330i..... decent gas milage.... not to expensive.... enough power to merge into traffic....

the Lexus IS300 and new Jaguar X-type looks like a lot of car for the money also...

Brooks

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IntelMan34:

Camaro? bah! Trans-am is where it's at
Just kidding. You need to get serious and modify that F-body. I got a ATI blower housing left from my last project, older P600B series. Might need the impeller worked, but it's definetly usable! LMK if you want it (cheap). Ditch that Jet 2 crap and go custom prom... You need a blower, a vigilantie 2500 stall, strange 12 bolt and a little bottom end work and your set

I took out a C5 today, nice cars.. would make a good daily driver but they didn't feel like vettes (guess 'cause they didn't rattle hehe). Z06 would be an interesting buy.

But, the poster already bought a volvo for his daily driver . Still, it's good to see peoples opinions on the subject.

The LS1 manifold design will find it's way onto the new small-block HEMI in 03'.

Oh, and the F-body is not going away... atleast I hope not. Last I heard, it was still up for production w/ a new chassis and body (aka 69 retro). As long as there are buyers, they wil make them. American muscle is slowly making a come back. V8's are ditching their gas-guzzling image for 30mpg on the highway in new cars! the Hemi will bring alot back to the modern muscle car... I can't wait! Even if it's in a stratus or something... RWD is where it's at.

MadMaxx

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

KidZ06, you mention American big block torque when praising the Volvo??? What kind of big block was it you are familiar with?

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think he means big block on one hand, being the viper, and little kick from the volvo turbo.

And he's right on, this is a great combo, I'm extremely happy with this combo - killer power, looks etc. And a euro daily commuter with a turbo, safety & a top that goes down.

Dave.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth