Illinois Dyno Day

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is posted in viper club events as well.

Anyone interested before the white stuff starts to fall? I'd like to get a baseline for my car should I find some extra money and do something crazy like heads, cam, and roller rockers. :omg: Any input where to go?

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Rob, so you know, I am planning a dyno day for the club in the spring. It's been aa while since we've had one and I'd like to bring it back as a recurring thing. Might be too late if you're planning on moding over the winter though.

We've used Street Stuff in Addison. SVS also has a dyno. There's a few good places in the west and northern suburbs that are Viper friendly and have good equipment.

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Rob, so you know, I am planning a dyno day for the club in the spring. It's been aa while since we've had one and I'd like to bring it back as a recurring thing. Might be too late if you're planning on moding over the winter though.

Hey Alex:

Didn't know about the scheduled Dyno day. This was just something I had been talking to Jon (2002 gts acr) about. Actually, my next mod, if any will likely be brakes. I don't see a reason not to wait for spring and make a club event of it.

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or you could buy my Viper and get the brakes and the power (and the other $50K of extras). Of course not your favorite color yellow. The day I drove the Viper SRT in 2003 against the executives, I was sold on the brakes.

No room at the house for the three Vipers and other cars, 03's got to go. So anyone interested, email me [email protected]. Lots of extras, contact me if interested. I'll take a few thousand over whatever a typical car would go for.

You must be registered for see images

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would be. I want to get the DC program so that is a great idea.

Below places have a dyno.

SPEED Inc in Schaumburg,
Street Stuff in Addison
I think SVS has a dyno so that may be the best option.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested as well Alex, I will want a baseline before I add the Greg Good heads and cam. Scotty used to make the arrangements every year but don't know what happened the past 2 years.
I vote for Street Stuff.

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or you could buy my Viper and get the brakes and the power (and the other $50K of extras). Of course not your favorite color yellow. The day I drove the Viper SRT in 2003 against the executives, I was sold on the brakes.

No room at the house for the three Vipers and other cars, 03's got to go. So anyone interested, email me [email protected]. Lots of extras, contact me if interested. I'll take a few thousand over whatever a typical car would go for.

Alex:

There's no doubt about it, if I was going to get a red car, yours would be it. You did an awesome job putting that car together. However, after my last red car, a formula, I swore I'd never buy a red car again. It was bad luck. That car was hit 8 times. Three times while it was parked!:omg: It was side swiped when it was two weeks old in a parking lot and one time a sign blew off a building and hit it.:mad: I think there was a bullseye on that car.

Why don't you put your car in the classified and shoot a post out about it.

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not as much laziness, just don't like the hassle. My backup plan is to have the dealer strip (rear end, rollbar, spoiler, sill covers, interior, wheels, suspension, oil pan, etc...). All that will be left is electrical (strobes, navigation, stereo, etc..). And then sell it for the going cost.

I did change it's color to see what it would look like in the lime green my new car will come in... I'm actually going to do all the same things (including my stripe pattern) and graphics. ;.)

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes next year. Mostly likely no for this year.

Hasn't been enough time to plan and people tend to complain if they don't get enough notice ahead of time.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
omg, the comb overs KILL me in this club !!!

grrrrr...

ok, short plan one for this year, and then LONG plan one for next year for the comb overs. No one said you cant have two ! Hell I'll even go to both !!

Jon

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
omg, the comb overs KILL me in this club !!!

grrrrr...

ok, short plan one for this year, and then LONG plan one for next year for the comb overs. No one said you cant have two ! Hell I'll even go to both !!

Jon

ROFL ...Jon your brutal.

Fall vs. spring probably won't matter to me unless I run across an extra $10K to do heads, cams and rr's. Even if I did run across that money I probably would hold off until I know how to drive this car better. The only thing I will probably do in the spring is the brakes. I did like those new brakes. Felt like you could eject a passenger through the windshield!

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok Jon,

Let me give you the not so politicially correct, comb-over unfriendly answer: You want a dyno day, go ahead. :smirk:

We've had a VERY busy year. 26 events in the 25 warm weeks we've had. While I do like a good dyno day, we do need a break. We're all volunteers, unpaid, and this time away from family. Unfortunately can't get to everything. Plus right now we're already meeting to put together the next racing season, club party, detroit dream weekend, etc... Alll of which needs to be done the next two months.

I can call street stuff for you an Rob if you'd like! ;.)

But in all serioussness, it's late in the season for most folks. Probably won't have a great showing. And history has taught us in this club people want at least some advance notice. It's one of the reason all of our events are so heavily attended even though we really don't have a huge populous of active members in the area (about 100 or so).

I do plan on having a dyno day in the spring, likely a very early even since we don't need sun.

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I vote for more road racing events. Maybe we could join another club so as keep the amount of work for our club down to a minimum.

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You got me thinking now! Maybe we could join another club as a subsidiary and do their events, we can just wear our jackets and it would feel like the same thing! ;.)

Oh and by the way, we are looking at the Prarie Hills race track in Indiana (opening August 2008). Looks like another Autobahn. We're chaecking into details now. Going to be a good race year. However and am dumping US 41, way too much money for drag racing and using their small lot for an autocross.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You may try checking into Byron Dragway in Byron, IL. We just went there with the SRT club to drag. It looks like they have a large enough area for autocross also. Just tossing out ideas.

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definately think we need to find ways to cut down the amount of work for the officers that are running the events. Alex and Aaron, along with their families and the other officers end up having to do too much work for our events INHO.

Couple of suggestions:

1) Buy reusable numbers that the club members purchase and assign a number for the entire season. This will cut down the amount of work setting up.
2) Replace the big laminated board with a few big pieces of laminated cardboard with the grid for posting times. This would save Aaron from having to lug that huge board around. At every event we have at least one trailer show up. Maybe we could attach the sheets to a trailer.
3) Lay out the courses more like other autocrosses with gates and cones mainly just in the corners. This may cut down the amount of cones that we need.

These are just a few suggestions that are aimed at only one thing - making things easier for the people that take on the huge task of organizing these events. I'm very new to the club, and am astounded with what the officers are able to accomplish. I would like to find a way for the organizers to have less to do so they could enjoy the event along with the members. That was the reason I suggested sharing events such as we did with Laps @ autobahn.

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Rob, all great suggestions. Don't worry about us, we so appreciate the great comments, we do enjoy putting the events on. While I do miss racing, I still manage to get a few laps in. We're not suffering that much. I've been a member since the club started in 94, this is my way of paying my dues to a great group.

We did actually experiement with vinyl reuseable numbers, they worked good in autocross, but the would fall off on high speed road courses. The high speeds would always rip them off. Consistent 110+ nph winds (and 140+ at some courses we hit) just rips anything off the car that isn't nailed down.

On the big board, it would be something that we would love to make easier. We got the big board from a good member. We bult it because so may people wanted to see everyone's score. People kept interrupting the timekeeper so this helped greatly. It worked perfectly, though it's real heavy (and BIG)!

On the cones, our goal actually is to put less cones out there. Problem is that smaller autocrosses actually need more cones. Because things are so tight together, people have a hard time knowing where to go unless it obvious. So you almost have to tunnel the course. It sad when you see people take 5 runs and they still can't get one lap in because they keep leaving the course. That's why we sometimes go heavier, people seem to have more fun if they can at least get it right. Hard to explain, I can have you join us to build one and you'll see what I mean. If we had a huge lot it does get easier. You'll notice places like Maywood and at Chelsea less were used. I've been to SCCS courses that felt like only 10 cones were out there, I kknow what you mean. We don't do it to punish folks by putting more cones out there to hit, we do it so they can drive it harder and sooner because you can see the course easier. Takes talent too. We begin setting up at 5:30am. By the time we get settled it only leaves me 1 1/2 hours to set it up while Aaron attends to his things. So it's always a mad rush! What can I say, if it was up to me, I'd get there at 2:00am to setup the "perfect" course... but I'd probably be there alone. ;.) Thanks for the input, this year we're working on even finer details and this will all be up for discussion.

Snake Bite, by chance the pres of SRT and I recently talked and we do plan on getting together for a few joint events. It woud benefit both groups and I think would be a lot of fun.

Thanks guys