I'm pissed now

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I\'m pissed now

I just tryed to install a set of Mopar rockers. I screwed up on the second from last. I droped a pushrod into the engine! I had already checked everything and was tightening down the thing when I droped it. I havent looked in the manual yet to see if I can take off the oilpan with the engine on. I hope I don't have to pull the engine. If I do I am leaving it out until I get a stroker built. :confused: :mad: :crazy: :shocked: :(

OP
OP
C

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: I\'m pissed now

Thanks. I came inside to take a break and have a beer. I have never done this before but I guess there is a first time for everything. I think what happened is when I lifted the rocker up The moly held the pushrod until it got far enough to fall into the engine. I think I just got in a hurry.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How are you going to check the angles for the proper geometry? Did yo use the spacers supplied and did you get the 7.70 pushrods?

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Uhhhhh yeah, same problem just last Sunday did the same thing. After and hour and a half my dad finally was able to pull it back up with a strong magnet. Otherwise it's either the pan or the head.

Go get a magnet if you don't have one and try that first, but be sure it is the strongest one you can find. Mine fell , but still stayed up top, so even if I removed the pan, I don't think I would have been able to get it. So in other words wherever it fell will determine what you may have to remove.

Good luck, but it is possible to get it out.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You may be able to get it with a magnet I hope. I've been fortunate enough to retrieve them that way, although I did have to pull a pan and the windage tray once, if that makes you feel better. I learned my lesson about the Gen 2 long ago...

OP
OP
C

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I tried for about 10 or 15 min with a magnet. When it fell it sounded like it went all the way to the pan. The pushrods I got were made by a local engine builder down here. I measured for them and he made them for me. I do not remember the excact lenght. I got everything close enough for now. I will have to mill the heads to get the correct mounting geometry. When I get off of active duty I plan to build an NA engine for it so it can wait for a few months posibly a year. I have been looking for the GTSR heads for this build but can't find any. Anyway I will not be racing so this will work for now.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't believe that the rod could fall all the way to the pan. There is a lifter valley on these engines like all others right? Past the cam, past the crank, in between the connecting rods and mains? Not likely. you should be able to fish it out with a magnet. If not take off the intake and look there first. Good luck.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I get off of active duty I plan to build an NA engine for it so it can wait for a few months posibly a year. I have been looking for the GTSR heads for this build but can't find any.
You mean they are letting you guys get out?! Man, we always get screwed in the Army :D I might be let out in the year 2525.......

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No matter where it is, disconnect the battery. The oil pan drops down easily, pulling the intake is much harder. Buy or borrow a bore-scope and save yourself some time.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you should be able to fish it out with a magnet. If not take off the intake and look there first. Good luck.

Taking the intake off was the first thing I did, but this car ain't made like SB chebbys. Taking the intake off does not reveal the valley where the pushrods and lifters rest. I need to get a service manual and get more familar with the anatomy of this motor.

Mine also sounded like it feel forever, but the magnet worked. If not, like Jack says, the oil pan is easy to drop.

OP
OP
C

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I looked in the valley with a scope and did not see anything. It must be in the pan or somewhere down there in nevernever land. It reminds me of a friend who used to work on jets. All of there tools have to be accounted for before the plane leaves. One time they had someone leave with a tool so the plane sat there for about a month until they found out what happened. I tried the magnet but I can only get it down to the valley. I need one of the flexible ones. I may buy one Monday.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Take out the pan plug and drain. Look in the drain hole with your borescope.
If you can see it in there you should be able to fish it out the hole with a magnet.
Or just a hooked end on the wire might get it located and on the move.

Try removing the magnet end of the pickup tool and put it on the end of a flexible steel wire. You might be able to fish around better with that.

I'm guessing that the pushrod is steel or at least has steel ends, right?

There are little flexible grabber probe tools also.

I'd say it's worth a whole lot of fishing to save taking off the oil pan.