In process of buying a Viper and need some advice

Fuoss484

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been working with the seller who put this car on ebay to buy it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Dodge-Viper-GTS-Coupe-2-Door-8-0L-/230883937577?_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true.

Had a pre-purchase inspection done at Dadeland Dodge Miami, by their Viper tech. Dadeland Dodge said the car check out ok beside a few small things; sway bar bushing needing replaced, tires needing replaced due to age and dry rotting, serpitine belt needing changed, gas cap corrosion, and fog light lens cracking. Said it drove nice and no oil leaks. Said the underneath of the car did not look rusty. So I put down a deposite, and in the process of buying this car sight unseen.

Now my question for the experts, is there anything about this car that seems out of place? Things I noticed. Some of the bolt heads in the pictures seem rusted? The ones that hold the rear hatch in place, and the bolts on the hood hinge, or is that their color.

Also just noticed that the viper GTS is missing from the drivers side. Should this be a concern? Owner said he bought the car with the Viper GTS missing. You would think that if anything looked out of place, that the PPI inspection would have picked up on it?

This is the first time ever, buying a car sight unseen and just wanted to get some experts advice about this Viper. My uncle lives in Miami and will be doing the last look over for me, before final payment is made. What should I have him look for?

We have agreed to a price, but wanted to know what should the value of this car, in this condtion be? Thank you for your time and advice, Todd

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know where you are but no regrets approach go see it yourself. Good luck, looks nice from what I could see in pics. I did that on M3 with private seller, looked good so had a fun ride back from Miami to Ohio.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The left side GTS emblem could have been taken off and the owner never did the right side or it was removed for paintwork. My wife and I bought 2 cars sight unseen , put a deposit down and wrote up a an agreement hinging on personal inspection. I flew out and cars were exactly what was described and finished the deal on the spot and shipped them home. Consider the cost of a flight and some time versus buying something your not happy with.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now my question for the experts, is there anything about this car that seems out of place? Things I noticed. Some of the bolt heads in the pictures seem rusted? The ones that hold the rear hatch in place, and the bolts on the hood hinge, or is that their color.

Also just noticed that the viper GTS is missing from the drivers side. Should this be a concern? Owner said he bought the car with the Viper GTS missing. You would think that if anything looked out of place, that the PPI inspection would have picked up on it?

We have agreed to a price, but wanted to know what should the value of this car, in this condtion be? Thank you for your time and advice, Todd

It doesn't seem out of place to me for a 10 year old car in Miami to have some rust on bare metal parts. As far as the emblem, I'm not surprised a PPI would miss it. However, I would look for signs of paint repair in case there was some damage that was repaired and the emblems were not installed. A good paint repair is nothing to worry over, though.

As for price, anywhere between the current bid and the asking price is reasonable. Prices are all over the place. It depends on how long a person is willing to wait for the perfect deal.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car was in an accident so my guess is that they may have repainted the hood or just redid the clear coat and forgot the decal on the side.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood gaps look pretty nice, better than mine. Nice wheel upgrade, as long as they're in good condition (no curb rash). Exhaust upgrade is a plus, OE exhaust sounds like crap. The badging is off...like you said, no Viper GTS on the driver side and the front and rear Sneaky Pete emblems don't match (front is blue or black and rear is red), but that's no big deal, just personal preference. The engine looks stock, except for the smooth tubes upgrade. I've seen the hood hinge bolts look rusty in pictures before, but in reality they weren't. The engine compartment looks very typical for a 2001, not crazy clean, but definitely better than most. The interior looks very stock except for the aftermarket stereo system. Both door sills show scratches, more on the driver's side...and maybe a few scratches on top of the side sill on the driver's side. Overall the interior looks pretty clean. There wasn't a good picture of the driver's side seat bolster...sometimes there's damage there from getting in and out of the car.

It looks pretty damn good to me as long as there's no history (wrecks, salvage, hail, etc) to the car.

Blown408

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The autocheck on ebay shows issues found, you need to just make sure your okay with a car that has been in an accident. The title clean?

OP
OP
F

Fuoss484

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes title is clean. I did see the accident history and doesnt bother me to much, as long as there was no frame damage and the repairs were done correctly. My guess if there was frame damage or somthing out of the ordinary on that side it would have been picked up in the PPI? I asked the seller about the accident report and was told that it happen before they owned it and they were told it was vallet parking accident where the wheels were curbed. Not exactly of that one? You guys are picking up alot of thing I didnt notice and giving me things to have my uncle look for on final inspection. Thank you guys. I get a good feeling from the seller that he is honest, and that makes me feel a little more comfortable about the transaction. I cant wait to get this car to its new home! I think I am a little to excited about this car....lol

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frame damage doesn't mean a thing on these cars. It's a separate structure, easily repaired or replaced if damaged. The typical driving force behind not fixing a car with frame damage is the repair cost versus the value of the car, not the question of can it be repaired. Most are worth more parting out at that point.

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can drive yourself nuts trying to find the perfect viper, unless you are shopping to put it in a museum, you are always going to find issues with any 10 year old used car.
If the Viper tech did not see any damage underneath and the body and paint work has been done properly. Buy it. Drive it. Enjoy it!
A rebuilt title shouldn't worry everyone, especially from Florida as they are needed there after minor accidents. Something the pics don't show is how the aftermarket stereo was wired in?
Overall; the price and condition I would buy it.:eater:

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many prior owners, sorry if I missed that. Any chance there is pic of car before repairs? Then you could confirm what is being said or alternative ask for repair bill. How much confidence you have in the tech inspection? Did you get a written report?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fuoss484

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just ran a Carfax and it gve me a little more insight to the accident

11/29/2008 Florida Damage Report Accident reported
Involving left side impact
Vehicle functional

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much confidence you have in the tech inspection?

I wouldn't trust a dealer tech to even know how to properly close the hood on a Gen 2, let alone know what all the common things to look at are,
ok, then maybe a knowledgeable FL Viper owner may be in the area. Originator of this post could contact FL VCA President for advice/help.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^^^this^^^^^^^^ There hasn't been any gen.2's in dealerships for 5-10 years. Most of those techs have never seen a gen.2

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are key dates, mileages, title changes on CarFax? The fact accident was four years ago, if that is what lead to repairs, change in owners miles since repair etc. are also pieces to the condition puzzle. If it checks out it seems like a good deal as others have noted.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Price seems about right. Nice wheels and brakes plus exhaust and great color combo. If this was a 1 or 2 owner car instead of 6 owners and there were no accident history it would be a $40k car if it's truly As advertised. I might hit the buy it now myself:D j/k I do like it though:2tu:

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd really try and make the trip myself to check out the car. If this is going to be a "1 summer" car, then who cares...buy it and enjoy. Otherwise, you and a VCA member should give it a once over.

Here's a GTS checklist I made during my search. Use it if you think it will help. Anything you don't understand on the checklist just "search" the term you don't understand or shoot me a PM. Good luck and have fun!

You must be registered for see images attach

-Mark

OP
OP
F

Fuoss484

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What are key dates, mileages, title changes on CarFax? The fact accident was four years ago, if that is what lead to repairs, change in owners miles since repair etc. are also pieces to the condition puzzle. If it checks out it seems like a good deal as others have noted.

It seems everything is in check. The owner of it now bought it in 2009 at 19,000. After the accident.

I feel pretty confident in the Tech inspection. They had it for over two hours going over it and checking dianostices. They gave me a run down sheet of everything the checked, Plus had a long conversation with the mechanic on the phone. The gentleman who did the PPI said the paint did look nice, and the interior was clean. H was pretty easy to deal with and gave me a indepth report of everything they checked. My uncle is a ex mechanic and has worked for a dodge dealership. So I have complete confidence that he will do a great final look over for me. Plus I plan to be on the phone with him while he is there.

Last thing I need to do is find a transport company. I have been hearing alot of good review about intercity. Any other shippers people would recomend?

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in Miami and can help if you need anything. I know Doug as well and would recommend him highly. I have a 96 RT. Let me know if I can help.

Craig, 801-652-6949

OP
OP
F

Fuoss484

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd really try and make the trip myself to check out the car. If this is going to be a "1 summer" car, then who cares...buy it and enjoy. Otherwise, you and a VCA member should give it a once over.

Here's a GTS checklist I made during my search. Use it if you think it will help. Anything you don't understand on the checklist just "search" the term you don't understand or shoot me a PM. Good luck and have fun!

You must be registered for see images attach

-Mark

Thank you Mark, that will help out alot.
I am hoping that this car wont be a one summer car. Hoping that it will stick around for a while. Have a 1993 NSX now and feel the Viper will be the perfect stablemate for it. To me it will be like owning both Yin and Yang, Black and white. Both awesome and amazing in thier own way. I'll call the NSX the scaple and the viper the sledge hammer. Dont really plan on driving it to much, probly not more than a couple thousand miles a year.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll probably need to swap out the water pump (if it hasn't been done by the previous owners), motor mounts, tranny mount, power steering vent tube, power steering bracket, fluids (tranny, diff, clutch, brake, oil, coolant)...

Once you close the deal, I'd like to know what you paid for it...I wouldn't mind buying another for a track car.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll probably need to swap out the water pump (if it hasn't been done by the previous owners), motor mounts, tranny mount, power steering vent tube, power steering bracket, fluids (tranny, diff, clutch, brake, oil, coolant)...

Once you close the deal, I'd like to know what you paid for it...I wouldn't mind buying another for a track car.

All those things were confirmed by the dealer viper tech as good sillyhead.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll probably need to swap out the water pump (if it hasn't been done by the previous owners), motor mounts, tranny mount, power steering vent tube, power steering bracket,

and power steering pulley ! (OP: Some of these parts are suggested for averting a future issue. Things that have been known to fail on quite a few cars by now. What percentage? Who knows?)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4