Installation of ipsco shifter lowering kit....question

Serenity Now

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but how do you install this if I get one?
You must be registered for see images attach

Do you have to take off the actual shift linkage bolt in this pic also? If so how does that come off? I know how to get the shifter/shaft off but my understanding is you can't pull the **** off the shaft and reuse so I was thinking of getting the kit above. Anyone have a suggestion on how to lower the shifter a little without getting full short shifter kit? I plan to get short throw shifter down the road but was hoping for something easy/cheap for now...

OP
OP
S

Serenity Now

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May have found the answer but still have the question of how you get the old linkage bolt out? I can't figure out how to get a wrench on underneath of bolt?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You might have to do that one from the bottom of the car. If you look up a more complete picture of the Viper shifter, you can see it's an arm that comes out of the transmission and then has a 90 degree bend on it where that shifter shaft bolts on and extends up into the cabin. Based on the length of the thread I don't think it would have any kind of lock nut or anything on the back side, but I would guess it's in there pretty tight and maybe has some threadlocker or something because you don't want it to unscrew first if you're just trying to remove the shift ball. I guess you might be able to put a second nut on the top and take it out like a stud, but I'm not sure if that might damage the isolator that is built into that assembly.

I was fairly sure someone made a shorter version of the stock shifter though, so that might be another option for you. Looks just like the stock shift ball, but with a shorter shaft. You might look around and see what you can find.

OP
OP
S

Serenity Now

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For future reference of anyone needing to remove the shifter shaft... Just get a crowfoot wrench size 11/16" (or 3/4" can't remember) and it will come off easily. New shaft installed and ready to drive now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper