Interest in shipping car to Voi11

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called the preferred shipping company yesterday and they said they would need a full truck from the NW (5-6 cars) and price would be ~$490 each way. Flights to Salt Lake are only about $200, so I was thinking of shipping car, flying down, having fun, then flying back with total cost being ~1200.

I initially researched trailering, and when working out cost for gas, trailer rental, wear and tear on vehicle and then time, it did not really pencil out to be better.

Anyways, I have one (maybe two) other buddies that want to do this, but would need 3 or four more. Any interest in this option?

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are going to have a planning meeting on this pretty soon, so that could yield many more interested people. Stay tuned for an announcement.

alice the cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What shipping company are you using? I have to move my Viper and Viper truck to San Diego in september. I would love to know of a shipping company that you guys trust.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I can't ship my car there I can't attend (work schedule won't allow it). However, I can drive home unless that will affect everyones shipping costs. Just renewed my membership (a little late!) and haven't registered for VOI.
Bob

SmokinViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have used Reliable Transport in the past, with very good feedback from members.

However, I believe that this year we are using FedEx, and with much reduced rates. The rates are also one-way, so you can purchase one-way or round-trip. More detailed (and possibly more accurate) info should be at the planning meeting.

I think that Bill will be announcing something tonight or tomorrow, and I'm guessing that it will be at our regularly scheduled monthly dinner meeting on Wednesday night next week. Look for an announcement any time now.

BTW - Welcome back, Bob!

OP
OP

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, looks like we are 1/2 way there to filling a truck load for down and back. Myself, a buddy of Mine (Dirk) and looks like Bob K are in. I am trying to convince another buddy and his Red/white 02 GTS to go as well.

as I mentioned earlier, flights down there are cheap (<$200). Dirk and I have already signed up, got our flights and just need this shipping part to come together.

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread and thought this would be another good place for my advice :)

Some friendly advice from a guy whose been in trucking his entire life:

NOT ALL CARRIERS ARE CREATED EQUAL
nono.gif

Using Werner as an example from one of the stories here. Werner is NOT primarily a car hauler, they are in the truck load business.

BEWARE OF BROKERS IN THE CAR HAULING BUSINESS
omg.gif

They will tell you they have trucks and buildings, hell, they will even show you pictures of the brick and mortar.
They are usually some guy or girl(to be fair) sitting at a home office(dark damp basement in an old bath robe smoking a butt) trying to make money without using their money.

They search the net and look for carriers with the lowest rate and then tack on 10% or more, just for making a phone call.

STAY AWAY FROM THEM! (unless you know someone personally who has used them)

OWNER OPERATORS
Can be OK, if you know them and they have been recommended by some one you know or by some one here on the site. (I know we have a few good guys here)

They usually have only one truck and trailer, and work with brokers who try and fill them up. This is not your best route, as things happen in trucking.

Example: the power unit (tractor/pick up/toter) breaks down and it's a Thursday, your event starts Friday evening. They can't get the part til Monday
omg.gif
. How does this guy recover? Maybe if its a tractor he can go to Ryder or Penske and rent one. If it's a pick up with a goose neck...lots of luck. When you go with a larger Carrier, they have ways of recovering because they have a large fleet, and alternatives.

DON"T MESS AROUND! Go with a known entity!

When I put the bid out for the VOI 11, I went with the guys who have been doing this kind of work for years.

The Carriers such as Reliable, Intercity Lines, Pilot Transport etc.

All of which are excellent Carriers, but Passport perks and rates were one I couldn't pass up.

Passport was lower in price than all of it's competition for 95% of the lanes I gave them. I was surprised at how long it took some of the Carriers to get back to me on a quote.

Intercity and Passport were 2 I didn't have to chase for month's. They were professional and had my quotes in the time I allotted. The others who I would of expected to take care of our community... not so good! I even met with one of them, along with the 3 other National Officers in person in January. They didn't get back to me with a quote until late April early May. Why? Because they thought they had the business in the bag. I explained to them that they were going to have the first shot, but needed to come to the table with a sharp pencil and that I planned on looking for competitive bids.

Well, they gave me pricing 10 to 20% higher than Passport and couldn't justify why!

I had some cheaper bids than Passport, but I like to sleep at night
grin.gif
. I wanted a Carrier that was going to take care of our members
headbang.gif

I'm going to use our official Carrier of VOI 11 ,Passport, as an example. Passport owns over 40 trailers that were built for transporting Exotic/Classic/Muscle etc cars. They don't use converted moving vans, Passports trailers are built using specs given to the trailer manufacturer by Passport. These specs came from years of car hauling experience.

Passport has FREE tracking on the trailer, so you can see where your car is 24/7. Some Carriers have it on the power unit, so the trailer could be in a yard while the tractor is somewhere else.

Passport also took out this ad in the Du Pont Registry using our club in the ad! Everyone who uses Passport will get a free 1 year subscription to the magazine as well
grin.gif

duPontAd.jpg

By the way, I saw a statement that you need 2 people to load a car, NOT TRUE!

You need 1 professional transport driver
grin.gif
and the right equipment.

Also, I want to note as the Official Carrier, Passport will have access to the host Hotel Property that others won't. The hotel has made arrangements with us to use the secure hotel parking garage prior to the event and after to accomodate delivery/pick up of the cars.

So at the end of the day, don't go with an unknown entity
nono.gif

You paid a nice price for your baby, don't give it to just anybody.

Go with a Carrier who will Deliver!

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information, I have shipped my Viper around many times and agree, not all of them are equal and sometimes the best price is not the best overall.
I know of two RT/10s that were shipped and when they were delivered the interior was wet, one that was supposed to be in an enclosed trailer the entire trip. The other they forgot to close the window.

James

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets