interior map lights

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A while ago I posted about my interior map lights not turning on when I hit the switch, however turning on and off when I opened and closed the doors. This weekend I had my battery tender hooked up to the car and while inside noticed that the map lights switched on and off just fine. When I disconnected the battery tender, the same problem ensued.

what gives? can anyone Dx this problem and if so, what the hell do I need to do to fix it?

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I've seen it written here several times that a weak battery can cause all kinds of electrical problems with the Viper. The fact that when you have the battery tender hooked up and the problem goes away seems to varify that you have a relatively weak battery that needs to be replaced, and this battery is the probable source of your problems. Anyone out there second this diagnosis? Good luck with this. You made a smart decision to get and use the battery tender.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
damn it. I wasn't suspecting the battery since its two years old next month. Now I feel I should replace it because a weak battery now is a dead battery later...

excluding the battery itself, any other possible theories?

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the car start OK? if yes, maybe a bad domelight switch? or ground to that switch?

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
car starts up just fine, this is the only 'symptom' present. I think the switches themselves are fine as they turn the lights on and off while the battery tender is attached, additionally (with the tender off) if the switch is engaged the light will turn on when the door opens, if the switch is disengaged the light will not turn on. So the switches are definitely doing something.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth