Is a black viper a violation of the Golden Rule????

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its the best looking color when clean and swirl free...PERIOD.

but it DOES swirl up pretty easily. and any small bit of dirt or water spots make it look bad if ya ask me. thats why i drive silver cars.

OP
OP
V

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
seems to me that I would only buy black if was going to be a garage queen which is WRONG !!:) ok, besides black which color has the biggest bad-a$$ effect?

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my black & silver Viper every day. It's just like Lee said - take care of it and the color really won't matter. BTW: plumcrazy is right - no color looks better than black when it's buffed out.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
seems to me that I would only buy black if was going to be a garage queen which is WRONG !!:) ok, besides black which color has the biggest bad-a$$ effect?
I drive my black RT/10 to work pretty much every day. Yet, people often express surprise to learn its not brand new (obviously non-Viper people, since its a Gen II). No swirls, no problem, and I've not washed it for more than a year. A duster and Maquires quick detail periodically is all it takes. That, and I usually cover it at work - but covering it solves two issues - people don't bother it when I'm not around, as well as keeping the finish clean.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, this might be a little OCD but do any of you dry your car with a leaf blower?

Eventually I will probably do this but as of now my main concern is when waxing. I just use surgical cotton to wax the car to alleviate many swirls since you have to use a bit of elbow grease when waxing. I am nuts I know. :D

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a black vette, used liquid glass and kept it covered when parked, that worked great, no swirls either! Considered a silver and a black Viper but thought this car screams to be red and to be seen! (I never thought I would drive red, but the Viper just called for it!

A couple factors in Florida are, black attracts heat and silver metallic has been said to reflect back up through itself leading to faster paint degradation (Doubt it but hey, another reason to justify red)

These cars do strange things to people!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black cars, if driven show more swirls and marks than other (lighter) color cars. That's just how it is.

OP
OP
V

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yall are making this too hard :) just when i decide I want a black one someone offers a good reason not to have one. I have a black truck now and do a decent job at keeping the swirls out. I know its the meanest color but I dont like the idea of having such an expensive car with so many imperfections.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Black cars, if driven show more swirls and marks than other (lighter) color cars. That's just how it is.
Wrong. Silly absolute statement to make, in fact. My daily driven black car has less marks/swirls/whatever than fellow club member's red and silver cars.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
ok, this might be a little OCD but do any of you dry your car with a leaf blower?

I do, its quicker, and there is less (like, "0"!) abrasion to the surface, which makes the wax stay on longer. It also gets the water out of crevices, which is great if you want to wax it right away. No water to interfere with the waxing. Also reduces the chances of getting water spots, since it gets the water off the surface quickly. I use a Toro electric leaf blower.

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my black GTS with stripes. I also like the 96 and 97 Blue but that wasn't offered in 99 so I went for black. It requires a little moe TLC and Zaino. But it looks real good if you keep up with it. I have a self service car wash up the street from me. I wash it with the spot free rinse water drive home to blow it out. And dry whats left at home while its still a little wet. Don't wash it a lot either. And wax it by hand in a back and forth motion no circular. And let the wax dry real good about two hours, keeping in mind not to use a lot of wax either. Just a real thin coat. For good or for bad that's my formula.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have swirls and I'm damn proud of it! I drive this beast!
But only myself and other Viperholics seems to notice. Most people think it's new and surprised to find out it's six years old.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrong. Silly absolute statement to make, in fact. My daily driven black car has less marks/swirls/whatever than fellow club member's red and silver cars.

You are both right...considering he's in Indiana and you are in NorCal. Same goes for you guys in Las Vegas, etc. If you live in an environment where there is little change in the weather and almost no precipitation, or you are compulsive about keeping your car immaculate, then of course it won't matter. Come to the rustbelt, and it DOES matter what color your car is. We know what we're talking about, not living in the bubble-dome, ******-augmented, perfectly tanned village you are from. Black cars are more difficult to maintain and keep looking clean. Period.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a white 96 Vette. It's my daily driver and I really don't wash it very often.
Even dirty, it looks nice.

My black Viper stays covered in the garage when I'm not actually driving it.
Any little dirt or dust stands out and really looks like crap.
I try to keep the Viper looking nice.
If it was white, that would be easy.

Black?
Impossible.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who knows how the other cars are cared for. Yes, it is possible that Lighter colored cars have more swirls, etc.

So let me restate that, if both cars are driven the same and cared for the same. The black car will show more swirls, marks, etc.

Eagle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Black is beautiful. I had a 95 black but i never put water on it, and it had no swirls. Duster after a couple of rides, then i would use quick detailer a couple times, and after that i would wax after driving about 7 or 8 times. Worked for me. Eagle

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not quite black or a viper but very dark green..
Keep on top and you will be fine.
90K on a 10 year old car and still looks good,Never garaged and an every day car.. Now sold.....

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so basically washing is a no-no?

I don't think that's the case at all.

I've seen a few Black Vipers that LOOK amazing. Get their advice and you'll should be able to keep it pretty mint. Just don't cut any corners!

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Black is evil. The only thing I don't like about my black GTS is that it fades into the background under the night sky. I'm getting black wheels though.

8648Black_on_black_023_web.jpg

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so basically washing is a no-no?
-------------------------------------------------------------

The less you clean or wax or do to your finish, the less damage like swirl marks will happen. I prefer to drive on only perfect weather days (with the top off of course) Only light dusting is required most of the time. I wax only a few times a year and use a spray on carnuba wax. Remember that if you use an old cloth it will have abrasive dirt in it still even though it may be good material.