is Red line power steering fluid ok to use in gen 3 ??

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahah.. u do. I just wanted to make sure we are talking about the fluid, and not your PROCESS.

Here is the problem, I did the switch over, and after the auto-x my car now has a very odd rattle to it, in the steering system, when you turn it right or left. Its really odd, never had this in my gen 2. I will take it in for warranty review, but if it was simply because I used redline instead of the stock stuff, then I would just go put the stock stuff back in. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt my fault. I think their must be something wrong that occured from me just auto-x'ing it this past weekend. It started happening after the 1st run group.

Jon

PS. Janni, if you read the other thread, no one is actually admitting to using redline in their 03+ Viper, some are saying to stick with stock, while others are saying they just used the newer version of the stock fluid. So while I'm stupid sometimes, I think asking the question directly in this case was warranted :)

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
DO NOT USE anything other than ATF+4 in a 2004-2006 car!

DO NOT MIX ATF+4 into a 2003 PS system that has not been updated!

DO update to ATF+4 in a 2003 car if it hasnt been done already, and flush the hell out of it!

DO NOT USE any Comp Coupe based info for the Street cars PS system- The CC does not use a Hydraulic Fan Motor.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DO NOT USE anything other than ATF+4 in a 2004-2006 car!

DO NOT MIX ATF+4 into a 2003 PS system that has not been updated!

DO update to ATF+4 in a 2003 car if it hasnt been done already, and flush the hell out of it!

DO NOT USE any Comp Coupe based info for the Street cars PS system- The CC does not use a Hydraulic Fan Motor.

I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here because you don't have a comp coupe sitting in your basement. HOWEVER the comp coupe most certainly DOES have a hydraulic fan motor. The reason the comp coupe is competitively priced is that it utilizes a TON of stock parts - engine, cooling, brakes, suspension, etc.

You need a high temperature synthetic fluid for activities such as racing and autocrossing. Would stock work? Perhaps. If there was an issue with the fluid - the racers would have found it first - because we subject the cars to the most stress / highest temperatures / loading the steering due to slicks, etc.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here because you don't have a comp coupe sitting in your basement. HOWEVER the comp coupe most certainly DOES have a hydraulic fan motor. The reason the comp coupe is competitively priced is that it utilizes a TON of stock parts - engine, cooling, brakes, suspension, etc.

You need a high temperature synthetic fluid for activities such as racing and autocrossing. Would stock work? Perhaps. If there was an issue with the fluid - the racers would have found it first - because we subject the cars to the most stress / highest temperatures / loading the steering due to slicks, etc.

If that is the case, then I do apologize. I could swear that I have read in multiple places that it is an electric fan, and even the 2008 itself is a carryover electric fan from the Comp Coupe. (EDIT: Just found it, apparently the electric fan is optional)

However, I reiterate the fact that mixing these fluids may not be a good idea, and sticking with ATF+4 is probably the best idea. They stopped using "Power Steering" fluid in the system for a reason and switched to ATF+4 which uses a different additive package and is much more stable. I would expect they had a good reason to do this. Also, I'm not sure what year Janni's CC is, but it may be an 03 which never have with ATF+4 to begin with, assuming it follwed the same production schedule as the street car, making the transition easier in the first place.

Last edited:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Per Redline's site - it is safe to use where the manufacturer calls for ATF

Synthetic
Power Steering Fluid
TECHNICAL DATA
RED LINE POWER STEERING FLUID satisfies the requirements of most power steering units, while providing 50% greater operating viscosity, 1/5 the evaporation of petroleum power steering fluids, much better low temperature steering, and greatly improved wear protection. Red Line Power Steering Fluid satisfies the service fill requirements of most auto manufacturers. Red Line Power Steering Fluid can be used where the
manufacturer calls for any automatic transmission fluid such as Dexron, Dexron II-D, II-E, or Dexron III, Ford Type-F, Mercon, or M2C138-CJ such as required by Ford, AMC, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, VW,
Mercedes-Benz, BMW, SAAB, Subaru, Volvo, Porsche, Mitsubishi, Mazda, and many others. This fluid also satisfies power steering units requiring GM Part Number 1050017 or 1052884(Spec Number 9985010) and Chrysler Spec Number 5931, and Ford Spec Number M2C33-F. Red Line Power Steering Fluid satisfies the hydraulic specifications of Denison HF-O, Vickers vane pumps, and Sundstrand piston pumps. Red Line Power
Steering Fluid has much better thermal and oxidation resistance compared to petroleum power steering fluids and is capable of use at higher temperatures and will improve low-temperature steering compared to most
factory fluids. The Red Line Power Steering Fluid can be used in high-performance racing and autocrossing to reduce power steering cavitation resulting in steering sponginess and boil-over. Red Line is compatible with petroleum power steering fluids and ATFs. The excellent detergency of this fluid keeps the power steering system clean and operating properly.

Helps prevent high-temperature steering fade
• Helps prevent difficult low-temperature steering
• Greater heat resistance
• Helps prevent high-temperature boil-over
• 50% greater high-temperature viscosity
• One-fifth the high-temperature evaporation
• Helps prevent leakage and squealing
• One-fourth the oxidation of petroleum power steering fluids
• Compatible with petroleums and synthetics
Also Satisfies API 75W
GL-4 Gear Requirements
Red Line
Test Power Steering
Flash Point 225°C
Fire Point 258°C
Vis @ -40°C 18,000 cP
Vis @ 40°C 34.7 cSt
Vis @ 100°C 6.47 cSt
Vis @ 100°C after shear 6.47 cSt
Viscosity Index 143
Pour Point -50°C
Rust (D664A/B) Pass
Foam 0
Copper Corr 1b

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not to nit-pick... but the above does not list ATF+4 in there anywhere. While Tom may be the only one that can tell difinitively whether ATF+4 would be compatible with the above. From what I can find on the net, it is not reverse compatible as ATF+4 outperforms all of the above, and does not have the same additives as the above.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh well, I hope this thread helps someone.. but here is the deal. I just called Redline.

They say its probably ok to use the POWER STEERING fluid even though the system is recommending ATF (automatic Transmission Fluid).

But their recommendation is to use their C+ATF on a system that uses ATF+4 from the factory.

So what does this mean, if its an Earlyier comp coupe or an 03 Srt-10, then your fine to use the REDLINE power steering fluid (its the correct one for your cars), but if its a later comp coupe and 04+ SRT-10 your system came with ATF+4 and IF you want to replace it with REDLINE product, you would be advised to use REDLINE C+ATF part# 30604.

Dave from Redline also said that Janni's system for getting out the fluid is completely acceptable (actually recommended it before I even had a chance to explain it to him). So I might call it the Janni system, but others call it the Turkey Baister System. Does this make Janni a ..... ok moving on... So Dave from Redline says mixing ATF+4/c+ATF and Redline Power Steering fluid, in a system, is ok. Because using the Turkey/Janni system will not remove all of it, but it will remove enough and the intermixing will cause no issues.

Thats it. I think we can all see why their are different sides to this. Janni's system is completely ok to use with the Redline power steering system, becasue she doesnt have the later system that uses ATF+4 in her car.

Jon

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the complete and thorough assessment of the situation.

I learned a little about ATF+4 - it's a pure synthetic, with better lubricating properties, higher heat resistance and resists cavitation. ATF+4 WAS a Chrysler proprietary formula and they license it to others. Couldn't find much about using it in a PS system - only about if being recommended in transmissions. ATF+4 seems to have all the properties of why I use Redline PS fluid. I will, however, look into the C+ATF. I am thinking that it might be overkill - but we'll see.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456