Is the stock pushrod length 7.5 for a 2001 GTS? ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering what the stock pushrod length is from the factory in a 2001 GTS.

I was thinking I heard 7.5 before but am not positive.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about the 2001, but, the early Gen II's had a color coding for different length push rods, so the answers would have been maybe for those cars. If you change rockers, you really have to measure.If you want a certain length push rod let us know.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not every viper has the same length. My 2001 had 7.5 while my buddies were 7.65. Sometimes you will have different sizes in the different cylinders. Tators is a good reference for this but yes you have to measure.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the pushrods out of my car and the rods had stipes of "rusty" looking stuff where they come through the heads.

Looks like old lubricant , but maybe they are the color coding stripes? ---

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're talking about the 'rings' on either end of the pushrod (like mine below) it wipes off. However, my 2001 OEM pushrods have a distinct black line that runs the length of each pushrod. You can see it in the crappy pic below. I did measure my pushrods when I changed them out a few years back but can't recall the size but I know it was more than 7.5"... about 7.655" or so. My 2001 service manual says pushrod length is 7.652" - 7.672". My digital caliper battery is dead so I can't measure right them right now. When I ordered new pushrods after install T&D Rockers, I did measure with a pushrod length checker before ordering. Always measure!

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will take a pic of mine, maybe it IS rust on mine?

Looks to be about 1/2" thick on mine, yours is a lot thinner.

I will also look for other identical markings.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same line, a light brown line around it. It is not rust.

7.5 was stock size for mine, and with the harland sharp upgrad I had to use 7.5 tehre as well.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same line, a light brown line around it. It is not rust.

7.5 was stock size for mine, and with the harland sharp upgrad I had to use 7.5 tehre as well.

I used 7.5 with my HS 1.7's also.

Here are pics of the "rusty" marks on my stock pushrods:

You must be registered for see images attach

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I measured my stock pushrods and they came in at 7.630". All 20 of mine have the black line running down the legth of the pushrod. I don't have nearly the amount of the rust color band as shown in your pic. Not all of the have it either and it's very faint on the ones that do have it. I can actually rub off the mark. Hope this helps.